You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcinfo workstation users on-line discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcInfo Workstation Users On-Line Discussion Forums

Data Editing (ArcMap Editor, ArcEdit, COGO, Digitizing) forum

Dougnut Polygons   Jim McNees Feb 14, 2001
(no subject)   stephen Feb 14, 2001
dougnuts   Jim McNees Feb 15, 2001
Re: dougnuts   richard mingo Jul 01, 2002
Subtract Command   joe plattner Feb 15, 2001
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Dougnut Polygons 
Author Jim McNees 
Date Feb 14, 2001 
Message I'm an Arcview user trying to migrate to ArcInfo 8.02. How do you create dougnut polygons in ArcMap. The folks at ESRI say you have to create regions, but I can't seem to find anything in the Help or manuals about regions. Can anyone give me any pointers here? It's easy in ArcView, seem like there should be some way to do it in ArcInfo that's not too complex.

Thanks
Jim 

Subject (no subject) 
Author stephen 
Date Feb 14, 2001 

Don't feel so bad this can be tricky. What you need to do
is become familiar with the Combine, Subtract, Union and
Intersect feature commands.

The command you need is the subtract features. Generate the
bigger poly, generate the smaller poly. Then select both
polygons (you will need to get the pointer tool). and from
the edit menu select 'Subtract features".

Then just drag the smaller shape away, and you will see
that you have a hole. Undo to replace the shape. Easy.

If it doesn't work you have selected the shapes in the
wrong order and need to try agin.

Good luck

Subject dougnuts 
Author Jim McNees 
Date Feb 15, 2001 
Message Thanks for the input steve, but I can't find a subtract command in ArcMap. I've lookd in the book and tried the online help also. I'm using ArcMap 8.02, not Arcview. Sorry, I should have been clearer about that.

Thanks
Jim 

Subject Re: dougnuts 
Author richard mingo 
Date Jul 01, 2002 
Message Did anybody find an answer to this? How do you subtract features in the same layer in ArcInfo 8.2 similar to Arcview 3.2 subtract features command. 

Subject Subtract Command 
Author joe plattner 
Date Feb 15, 2001 
Message I was unable to find the subtract command either. The closest thing I could find was a Cut Polygon Features command that only seemed to split polygons, not cookie cut them.