You are here: > ESRI Forums > interoperability and standards > Thread Replies

Interoperability and Standards

Interop. & Standards: OGC Connectors for ArcIMS forum

WMS Capabilities request gives com.esri.ogc...   Christopher Rusanowski Apr 15, 2004
Re: WMS Capabilities request gives com.esri...   ArcWeb Services Team May 06, 2004
Re: WMS Capabilities request gives com.esri...   Christopher Rusanowski May 06, 2004
Re: WMS Capabilities request gives com.esri...   Christopher Rusanowski May 09, 2004
Found a Fix, or rather, a work-around...   Christopher Rusanowski May 10, 2004
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject WMS Capabilities request gives com.esri.ogc.admin.MapAccessException 
Author Christopher Rusanowski 
Date Apr 15, 2004 
Message I receive the error com.esri.ogc.admin.MapAccessException whenever I try to access the capabilities for a WMS enabled service.

I did find that originally it was not creating the capabilities files until I granted the user that runs our services access to create files in the capabilities directory. After granting that access, and restarting everything, I continue to get the same error message. Now, the files are getting created, but I cannot view them through the servlet.

I have the debugging turned on, and I see the requests in the tomcat logs. It looks ok there, and I do not see any error message. The access log shows an error 500...

The WFS capabilities works fine.

I am running IIS 5 with Tomcat 4.1.30 and Java 1.4.2 and ArcIMS 9 Pre-release. 
  +---------------------------------------+
Chris Rusanowski ( crusanow@usgs.gov )
Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies (SGT, Inc.)

Subject Re: WMS Capabilities request gives com.esri.ogc.admin.MapAccessException 
Author ArcWeb Services Team  
Date May 06, 2004 
Message Chris,

Does the same error occur when trying to view the capabilities directly from the WMS, as well as when trying to send a GetCapabilities URL request in a browser? Also, can you open the capabilities file in a text editor to make sure there is content?

Mike 

Subject Re: WMS Capabilities request gives com.esri.ogc.admin.MapAccessException 
Date May 06, 2004 
Message Hi Mike,

I do get the same error when I try to access the capabilities files directly.

I browsed to the directory where the files are created, and the static files have been created and have all the correct layer information in them.

I have since gone back and installed on a clean system from scratch and gotten it to work. I followed the exact same steps, and the configuration of Tomcat/IIS/Java is the same. The only difference is that I did not have any previous version of the WMS connectors, or betas, or ArcIMS installed.

The first server is still having this problem, so I am planning on uninstalling everything, making sure that all settings are gone and reinstalling. Hopefully that will fix it...

Date May 09, 2004 
Message I have now reinstalled everything from scratch using a release version of ArcIMS 9. The install I did on my workstation using the exact same parameters and install sources works. On our windows 2000 server (my workstation is XP-Pro) the install seems to work, but I get this error whenever I try to access a service.

The WFS works, once I get logged in (I have to login to the WMS and then change to the WFS interface...). The ArcIMS 9 version of the connector works fine. (So, there are obviously some differences there even though it is supposed to be the same code.) 

Subject Found a Fix, or rather, a work-around... 
Date May 10, 2004 
Message It looks like this is a Tomcat-IIS problem rather than a OGC Connector problem. After looking at some other posts here, I tried hand editing the capabilities files, and deleted the DTD references that were at the top of the file.

These were pointing to http://edcw2ks51.cr.usgs.gov/wmsconnector/scheme/wms/1.0.0/capabilities_1_0_0.dtd. When I removed that it worked fine. So, I started testing requests for that particular URL.

The funny thing is that it worked on XP, but not on Windows 2000. It worked going through the Tomcat HTTP connector on both operating systems. It was only through IIS and AJP13 that I was having trouble. After much trial and error, I found that it would work if I did not have periods in the path to the DTD file!

So, that left me with 3 solutions:

- Leave the Tomcat HTTP connector on and change all capabilities files to point to a different port on our server. This requires editing all generated capabilities and adding the port, or setting up some URL forwarding of some sort.

- Edit all generated capabilities and remove the DTD references. Most viewers will probably work without the DTD reference, but we are not sure if this is correct.

- Create copies of the DTD directories and rename them without the period. Then setup URL rewriting (in IIS not Tomcat) that will modify the URL's to use the new directory. I used underscores and an ISAPI rewrite engine from http://www.isapirewrite.com.

I tested all 3 work-arounds and they work. Right now, we are using method 3 because it means we do not have to go in and manually edit all the capabilities files.

Another solution, would be to modify the OGC connectors to allow the adminstrator to specify the location for the DTD's in a parameter. Or change the WMS connector so that it ignores errors retrieving the DTD and dumps the pre-generated capabilities to the client, to let them do any required transformations.