You are here: > ESRI Forums > natural resources discussion forums > Thread Replies

Natural Resources Discussion Forums

Archaeology and GIS issues forum

Map symbols for Archaeological Features   Donna Day Jan 22, 2004
Re: Map symbols for Archaeological Features   Bob Booth Jan 22, 2004
Re: Map symbols for Archaeological Features   Donna Day Jan 26, 2004
Re: Map symbols for Archaeological Features   Jack Garner Jan 29, 2004
Re: Map symbols for Archaeological Features   Jim Mossman Feb 04, 2004
Re: Map symbols for Archaeological Features   wade broadhead Feb 26, 2004
Re: Map symbols for Archaeological Features   Jack Garner Feb 27, 2004
Re: Map symbols for Archaeological Features   Douglas Edwards Aug 31, 2004
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Map symbols for Archaeological Features 
Author Donna Day 
Date Jan 22, 2004 
Message I am seeking examples of symbol standards used for mapping archaeological feature types. What are folks using out there? I work for the Forest Service and we are currently trying to develop a standard symbol sets and am interested in knowing what folks are using. 

Subject Re: Map symbols for Archaeological Features 
Author Bob Booth 
Date Jan 22, 2004 
Message I would be happy to help with this effort - I tried to get an archaeological symbol set together for ArcGIS, but have recieved little input from the community as to what symbols/scales would be most useful.

Bob 

Author Donna Day 
Date Jan 26, 2004 
Message I would appreciate any assistance. Sites are plotted as points, polygons and lines depending on the resource but the Forest Service archaeologists and Right now what I am doing is collecting symbol sets that they are using. The goal is to establish a standard Heritage symbol set to be used by the archaeologists on all national forests for the basic resources types (ie, site, traditional cultural property, ditch, trail, etc). if you have any suggestions, I would be glad to talk. 530 478-6214 

Author Jack Garner 
Date Jan 29, 2004 
Message Donna -

Check into the work Jim Mossman is doing.

His effort in symbol manufacture you might look into: follow this thread (I posted your thread here for interest.)

http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=3&f=38&t=116098

Apparently, what he needs is some specifics for what you might need.

Author Jim Mossman 
Date Feb 04, 2004 
Message Hi Donna et al:

I've made quite a few marker symbol sets for ArcView 3.x and ArcGIS Desktop (they are posted on ArcScripts for free download - search for "DDV's"). If sufficient point symbols don't already exist, I can generate some, but would need some information to do it.

Are you looking for generic symbols that could be used across cultures? Or are you looking for culture specific symbols (in which case I assume a LOT of symbols would be involved)? Besides a list of the symbols needed, it would be very helpful to know what data the symbols would be classified by. Since I am not familiar with this discipline, I would need some images to draw the symbols from (paper or electronic images).

Regards,
Jim

Jim Mossman
Data Deja View
307-587-6667

Author wade broadhead 
Date Feb 26, 2004 
Message How do DDV's work? I'd love to download that and try it. I work at a CRM firm, and we use very basic, general symbols for our CR items. Datums usually a triangle, IFs are a circle with a dot inside, and various tools and hearth features recieve different symbols.
Wade Broadhead
RMC Consultants, Inc. 

Author Jack Garner 
Date Feb 27, 2004 
Message DDVs are compilations of .ttf fonts and .avp palettes with install guides.

Download, unzip and follow the setup guides. 

Author Douglas Edwards 
Date Aug 31, 2004 
Message Jim,

I have just joined this discussion group and am very interested in learning if anything has come of the development of archaeological symbols. I excavate in the Middle East and know a few others who might be interested in developing a standard set of symbols. In addition, is it possible to carry over the DDV's you created to ArcIMS? I am beginning to put more work into that format.

Thanks,

Doug Edwards