You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis server geoportal extension discussion > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Server Geoportal Extension Discussion

Geoportal Extension: Issues and topics of concern forum

Installation Problem related to JDBC   Trent Pingenot Dec 20, 2006
Re: Installation Problem related to JDBC   Axel Schaefer Dec 20, 2006
Re: Installation Problem related to JDBC   Clive Reece Dec 20, 2006
Re: Installation Problem related to JDBC   Trent Pingenot Dec 20, 2006
Re: Installation Problem related to JDBC   Clive Reece Dec 20, 2006
Re: Installation Problem related to JDBC   Trent Pingenot Dec 20, 2006
Re: 1.5.0_06 while the portal suggests 1.4....   Clive Reece Dec 20, 2006
Re: Installation Problem related to JDBC   Stepan Osokin Dec 25, 2006
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Installation Problem related to JDBC 
Author Trent Pingenot 
Date Dec 20, 2006 
We're trying to setup the GPTK for the first time. We are using 3.1 on a Windows Server 2003 machine with Oracle 9i, ArcSDE 9.2, ArcIMS 9.2, using Tomcat 5.5.17, IIS6, ArcGIS 9.2.

We're at the point of beginning the portal configuration wizard. We have entered our username
admin and password admin and accepted the license agreement. We then get the error

"Cannot create JDBC driver of class " for connect URL 'null'

Please verify the configuration settings in your server context (server.xml)

We have reviewed the server.xml, even re-entering the text added during the setup process. We tested the connection using DBVisualizer and everything seems to check ok, we can log in as the meta user, password meta.

We've reviewed all the steps we did and can't think of anything else to check.

In step 7 of the installation instructions when you copy the ojdbc14_g.jar file to the \webapps\servlet\WEB-INF\lib folder, we didn't have an existing lib folder, so we created one, could this be important?

We also noticed that the Tomcat version listed as supported under the ESRI ArcIMS 9.2 is 5.5.17, whereas the portal lists 5.0.28. Could this be important? As well we are using JRE and JDK

1.5.0_06 while the portal suggests 1.4.2_06. Could this be a problem?

Any one have suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Subject Re: Installation Problem related to JDBC 
Author Axel Schaefer 
Date Dec 20, 2006 
Message Hi Trent,

keep in mind, that Tomcat 5.5 uses a different format for defining the JNDI-resources than Tomcat 5.0 did. See the Tomcat help for details: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html

I prefer unique context-files than writing it into the server.xml; it's my experience with Tomcat. See below for an example for Tomcat 5.5. Save that to a file called Portal.xml and copy that file to the Tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost directory instead of writing the stuff into the server.xml. 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context path="/Portal"
         docBase="Portal" <!-- or c:/pathto/Portal -->
         debug="0"
         reloadable="true"
         crossContext="true">
  <Resource name="jdbc/gisportal" auth="Container"
            type="javax.sql.DataSource"
            factory="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"
            driverClassName="net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver"
            url="jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://databaseserver:1433/meta"
            username="meta" password="meta"
            maxActive="20"
            maxIdle="10"
            maxWait="-1" />
</Context>

Author Clive Reece 
Date Dec 20, 2006 
Message Trent,

Could be a number of things related to the JDBC authentication. Tomcat 5.5 uses a difference JNDI context configuration so you might want to check that first. See the code snippet below from the server.xml file.

- Clive 

<Context path="/Portal" docBase="Portal" debug="0" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
    <Resource name="jdbc/gisportal" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
            url="jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://cliver06:1433/GPT"            
            username="meta"
            password="metapwd"
            maxActive="20"
            maxIdle="10"
            maxWait="-1"
    />
 </Context>
 <Context path="/arcexplorer" docBase="arcexplorer" debug="0" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
    <Resource name="jdbc/arcexplorer" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
            url="jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://cliver06:1433/GPT"            
            username="meta"
            password="metapwd"
            maxActive="20"
            maxIdle="10"
            maxWait="-1"
    />
 </Context>

Author Trent Pingenot 
Date Dec 20, 2006 
Message Thanks Axel and Clive,

I've tried both your solutions which are nearly identical. When I put this context info in separate files as Axel suggested I didn't get any change. When I removed the Portal.xml and put the context information in the server.xml tomcat won't start. If I comment them out then tomcat starts and runs and I have the same problem as before. When I try and put the lines back in Tomcat starts but fails and shuts down.

Both your examples use SQLServer while we have Oracle. I changed both the url and the driverClassName based on our context. Has the driverClassName specification changed so that I need to specify it differently. I briefly poked around the page Axel referenced but didn't find a specific example of this.

Anything about my entries below seem wrong?

Thanks both of you for your help!

Trent

<Context path="/Portal" docBase="Portal" debug="0" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
    <Resource name="jdbc/gisportal" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
     driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
            url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@desam70:1521:ARCSDE9"            
            username="meta"
            password="meta"
            maxActive="20"
            maxIdle="10"
            maxWait="-1" /> 

</Context>
 <Context path="/arcexplorer" docBase="arcexplorer" debug="0" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
    <Resource name="jdbc/arcexplorer" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
     driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
            url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@desam70:1521:ARCSDE9"            
            username="meta"
            password="meta"
            maxActive="20"
            maxIdle="10"
            maxWait="-1" />
 </Context>

Author Clive Reece 
Date Dec 20, 2006 
Message No obvious errors. Looks like desam70 is your server name and ARCSDE9 is your SID. Right?

I'd back up and try troubleshooting your JDBC connection. First use DBVisualizer (which you have) to point to the ojdbc14_g.jar in your servlet/WEB-INF/lib and verify the jdbc settings and ability to connect. Then confirm connecting to the servlet through ArcCatalog with the admin account and verify the TOOLKIT_Publish_Metadata service recognizes your role as an metadata_administrator (pencil icon). If all that works, then proceed to double-checking that the ojdbc14_g.jar is also placed in the Portal and arcexplorer WEB-INF/lib directories.

- Clive 

Author Trent Pingenot 
Date Dec 20, 2006 
Message Thanks Clive,

I checked all the steps you listed and they all worked.

I figured I would try Axel's solution one more time. I commented out the connection info in the server.xml file and placed a Portal.xml and arcexplorer.xml file in the Tomcat 5.5\conf\Catalina\localhost folder with the new connetion settings and that solved the problem. So Thanks to both you and Axel for the help!

Trent 

Subject Re: 1.5.0_06 while the portal suggests 1.4.2_06 
Author Clive Reece 
Date Dec 20, 2006 
Message This won't be a problem. JDK 1.5 works fine. - Clive 

Author Stepan Osokin 
Date Dec 25, 2006 
Message Trent,
I had a similar problem with JDBC connection while installing portal. The reason was that I hadn't downloaded licence files for some jars which are listed in the documentation. You should check if you have following licence files:
Lic_cs.txt
Lic_de.txt
Lic_en.txt
Lic_es.txt
Lic_fr.txt
Lic_it.txt
Lic_ja.txt
Lic_pl.txt
Lic_ko.txt
Lic_pt.txt
Lic_tr.txt
Lic_zh.txt