You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis server forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Server Forums

ArcGIS Server: Installation and Licensing forum

ArcGIS Online versus ArcGIS Server   Sharada Patil Jan 26, 2010
Re: ArcGIS Online versus ArcGIS Server   Randall W Jan 26, 2010
Re: ArcGIS Online versus ArcGIS Server   Sharada Patil Jan 26, 2010
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject ArcGIS Online versus ArcGIS Server 
Author Sharada Patil 
Date Jan 26, 2010 
Message Hi

There exists a GIS based desktop application that I plan to make browser based and incorporate ESRI into it. The application collaborates user feedback and inputs on a map and helps in decision making for a user, based on what other users have inputted.

I have a problem on deciding whether to use ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Server. Can anyone please tell me the difference between them ? As of what I could figure out is that ArcGIS Online is client based and ArcGIS Server server based application.

Does ArcGIS Online support KML?

Thank you.

Subject Re: ArcGIS Online versus ArcGIS Server 
Author Randall W 
Date Jan 26, 2010 
Message ArcGIS Online is a service provided to ESRI that is based on ArcGIS Server technology. In fact, ArcGIS Online uses a cluster of ArcGIS Servers to provide map services. With ArcGIS online, you may consume the map services that are provided, but you cannot create your own. ArcGIS Server gives you the option to create your own map services from your data. Both options support KML. 

Subject Re: ArcGIS Online versus ArcGIS Server 
Author Sharada Patil 
Date Jan 26, 2010 
Message Hi Randall

Thank you !