You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis server forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Server Forums

ArcGIS Server .Net: Using the Web Mapping Application forum

How do I fix "Root element is missing"?   Peter Pace Jan 18, 2008
Re: How do I fix "Root element is missing"?   Peter Pace Jan 23, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject How do I fix "Root element is missing"? 
Author Peter Pace 
Date Jan 18, 2008 
Message I have been using ArcGIS Server Manager successfully for a while now. But now when I try to manage my applications, I get an error message saying: "Sorry... An error has occurred at http://(the path)/Default.aspx, Root element is missing." I can access and manage my services, just not my applications. The only thing unusual that I was doing yesterday was deleting and building map caches via ArcCatalog. I have tested my applications by entering the URL in an IR browser and they still run fine.

I googled the phrase "root element is missing" and saw that this error is associated with people writing code. I am not writing any code. Any ideas? Thanks. 

Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Re: How do I fix "Root element is missing"? 
Author Peter Pace 
Date Jan 23, 2008 
Message We have fixed the problem and I wanted to share the fix. Somehow our sites.xml file got wiped out and had to be rebuilt. We do not know what caused it, but we are back up and running.