You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis server forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Server Forums

ArcGIS Server ArcSDE: General questions forum

ArcGis Desktop Spatial Connection with ArcS...   Carlos Frederico Ribeiro Sep 18, 2008
Re: ArcGis Desktop Spatial Connection with...   Shannon S. Sep 23, 2008
Re: ArcGis Desktop Spatial Connection with...   Carlos Frederico Ribeiro Sep 23, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject ArcGis Desktop Spatial Connection with ArcSde 
Author Carlos Frederico Ribeiro 
Date Sep 18, 2008 
Message Hi
I'm having trouble connecting in ArcSde 9.3 through ArcGis Desktop 9.3.
When I click "Add spatial database connection" and type the features of the database, appears in the following message "Failed to connect to the specified server. Entry for SDE instance not found in services file."
The curious thing is that when I try to connect to ArcSDE 9.3 by another machine with the ArcGis 9.3, works. I believe that the problem is in my computer, but I can not identify what's wrong.
Can anyone helping me? 

Subject Re: ArcGis Desktop Spatial Connection with ArcSde 
Author Shannon S. 
Date Sep 23, 2008 
Message What are you entering for the service?

This error message is usually generated when you type in a name for the service which does not exist in the local windows services file (%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\services). If the other machine you are attempting to connect from has a service name with the correct port number established, this would explain why connections work from one machine, but not another.

If you use a name for the service, like 'esri_sde', then you must have an entry in your local services file that corresponds to the port number that the ArcSDE service is listening on. The entry would look something like this

esri_sde 5151/tcp #ArcSDE service

I'd recommend typing in the port number rather than a service name - that way you don't have to maintain a service name locally, and there is much less opportunity for error.

More information can be found here: http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?TopicName=Creating_spatial_database_connections

-Shannon 

Subject Re: ArcGis Desktop Spatial Connection with ArcSde 
Author Carlos Frederico Ribeiro 
Date Sep 23, 2008 
Message Thanks, problem solved