You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis server forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Server Forums

ArcGIS API for JavaScript forum

layer symbol, label and working with other...   dehai wute Nov 06, 2008
Re: layer symbol, label and working with ot...   Jayant Sai Nov 06, 2008
Re: layer symbol, label and working with ot...   dehai wute Nov 06, 2008
Re: layer symbol, label and working with ot...   Jayant Sai Nov 07, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject layer symbol, label and working with other Web ADF or APIs 
Author dehai wute 
Date Nov 06, 2008 
Message Hello! I have three questions for the JS API:
1. Is there a way in the JS API to change the symbol (fill color of polygon, width of line, size of point) of a layer (as a png image file, not as graphics as showed in the identify examples) from dynamic Map Service?

2. How to add label to point, line and polygon layer?

3. If the above two is hard in JS API, is it possible to work with other ADFs or APIs to make these done? So that JS API is used as the front-end and if functions can not be done by it, go to other Web ADFs.

Thanks for your help! 

Subject Re: layer symbol, label and working with other Web ADF or APIs 
Author Jayant Sai 
Date Nov 06, 2008 
Message ~1. No. The symbology specified in the mxd is respected and cannot be changed

~ 2. You can enable labeling of features in the mxd and republish it.

If you do need to render text labels for point graphics, you can look at using the TextMarkerSymbol. 

Jayant B Sai
ArcGIS JavaScript API 

Author dehai wute 
Date Nov 06, 2008 
Message Thank you so much Jayant.

Could you please show me an example how to add TextSymbol to graphics like in
http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/arcgisserver/apis/javascript/arcgis/demos/graphics/graphics_add.html
so that users click on a Text button and then click on map to add text on the map?

I am still not clear if it is possible to integrate JS API with Java Web API. Basically I would like to use JS API as the front-end, and Java Web API as the back-end if the functions in REST API is not available. Or, Can I customize the server side of REST API?

Thank you again!

Author Jayant Sai 
Date Nov 07, 2008 
Message You can try out the TextSymbol using the Code Gallery 'Graphic Symbology Code Generator' app (http://resources.esri.com/arcgisserver/apis/javascript/arcgis/index.cfm?fa=codeGalleryDetails&scriptID=15706). You can 'Try it Live' and get the code.

Integrating the JSAPI with the Java Web ADF is not supported. You can definitely customize the server side with some custom servlets, etc and making the appropriate Ajax call to the servlet. 
  Jayant B Sai
ArcGIS JavaScript API