You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis server forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Server Forums

ArcGIS API for Flex forum

414 Request-URI Too Large   Prashanth Sukumaran Jun 24, 2009
Re: 414 Request-URI Too Large   Prashanth Sukumaran Jun 24, 2009
Re: 414 Request-URI Too Large   Dasa Paddock Jun 24, 2009
Re: 414 Request-URI Too Large   Prashanth Sukumaran Jun 24, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject 414 Request-URI Too Large 
Author Prashanth Sukumaran 
Date Jun 24, 2009 
Message Hi,

When i use the free hand polygon to determine all the features within the drawn extent i get a URI Too Large error.

I saw that the url is 11000+ characters in length. I am using a proxy to perform this query so i don't have the issue with browser url length limitation. I also tried this query on other browsers and got the same error. So this is definitely a server error.

Googling around i found that the WebServer has a directive LimitRequestLine where the default is set to 8190. I changed this value to 16130 and executed the same query, now i get "This webpage is not available".

Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): Unknown error.

But i see that if i tried the same query on the Population service which is hosted at ESRI I don't get this error (Request URI Too Large).

Please the question is regarding the ability to execute a query where the URL length is larger than 10000+ characters.

Thank you
Prashanth Sukumaran 

Subject Re: 414 Request-URI Too Large 
Date Jun 24, 2009 
Message One more thing,

I am getting this because this is a GET operation. Could this be a bug with the Flex API as it is doing a GET instead of a POST when using the Draw Tool - Geo Processor.

Thanks
Prashanth Sukumaran. 

Author Dasa Paddock 
Date Jun 24, 2009 
Message The tasks should switch to doing a POST if the URL gets longer than 2000 characters. Can you post a test case to reproduce this issue? 
  Dasa Paddock
ArcGIS API for Flex

Date Jun 24, 2009 
Message Hi Dasa,

Thanks for asking for a test case. I have written the proxy myself using the HTTPClient API instead of the one that comes with Sample Viewer.

Looks like when it is a post there is something wrong in what i am doing. When i replaced my proxy with the one that comes with Sample Viewer it works fine.

I am coming to the user conference this year. I will show the security implementation using the proxy, you can tell me what you think about it.

Regards
Prashanth Sukumaran