You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis explorer discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Explorer Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Explorer: Installation forum

Basemap Error   Geirulv Storaker Aug 19, 2009
Re: Basemap Error   Bern Szukalski Aug 19, 2009
Re: Basemap Error   Geirulv Storaker Aug 20, 2009
Re: Basemap Error   Bern Szukalski Aug 20, 2009
Re: Basemap Error   Jim Spurgeon Dec 21, 2009
Re: Basemap Error   S. Saving Mar 23, 2010
Re: Basemap Error   Mike Lakey Mar 24, 2010
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Basemap Error 
Author Geirulv Storaker 
Date Aug 19, 2009 
Message When I start Explorer 900, I get this Error: "The basemap contains one or more invalid layers". Nothing is drawn, and changing to another Basemap gives the same error. Adding local data sets is working just fine. 
  Error.jpg (opens in new window)

Subject Re: Basemap Error 
Author Bern Szukalski 
Date Aug 19, 2009 
Message I suspect that you used one of the beta version of ArcGIS Explorer. If you can choose a new basemap from the basemap gallery, do so and just save it as your new default basemap.

You can also delete your current default basemap here: C:\Users\\Documents\ArcGIS Explorer

If you do, you may stil need to use the basemap gallery to specify a new basemap, then save it as your default. 

Author Geirulv Storaker 
Date Aug 20, 2009 
Message No - still doesn't work. I did not run any betaversion of 900 by the way - and my 500-version was uninstalled by the 900 installation program.

Opening any of the Base Maps gives the same error - and nothing is drawn. 

Author Bern Szukalski 
Date Aug 20, 2009 
Message I'm puzzled, and don't have a good answer. If it were me, here is what I would do. I would remove some files, then try reinstalling. First I would get rid of my settings.xml file, which is located in: %appdata%\esri\arcgis explorer. I'd also consider getting rid of the whole arcgis explorer folder there.

I would also get rid of my default map which is found in:
C:\Users\\Documents\ArcGIS Explorer

Then I would try a reinstall.

If that does not solve the problem I'd log a technical support incident, and we can take it from there. I don't understand why you're not seeing the default basemaps, and am hoping it's just one of the files. Otherwise, we'll need to dig a little deeper.

If you want to go back and install the 500 build you can do so from here (uninstall 900 first):

http://gisupdates.esri.com/ArcGISExplorer/Build500/ArcGISExplorerDownload.exe

Author Jim Spurgeon 
Date Dec 21, 2009 
Message Wanting to know if there was ever a resolution to the "Basemap contains one or more invalid layers" error. I tried the steps Bern Szukalski recommended but still receive the same error.

Thanks,
Jim 

Author S. Saving 
Date Mar 23, 2010 
Message I still get this error on a regular basis. Even after upgrading to the latest version (2.0.0.1200). Sometimes I get the error and the basemap still draws. ?? 

Author Mike Lakey 
Date Mar 24, 2010 
Message We deploy ArcGIS Explorer (900) to a large number of users within our organization, and we constantly encounter this issue when fielding data and/or application updates to our users. I don't think there is one solution to the "Basemap contains one or more invalid layers" error, because it can happen in a number of circumstances. Here's the steps we take to try & resolve the invalid layers issue. So far (knock on wood) it has worked for us:

1) Has any of my data recently been updated? Delete the map cache either through AGX or manually in Windows Explorer

2) Have my service/layer connections changed or are they still valid? Manually add each service (including ESRI online services) listed in the basemap/default map NMFs through the button to verify.

3) Is my basemap/default map obsolete or corrupt?
Delete or edit the basemaps.

4) Have I done anything that might have generated accessed multiple AppConfig entries? Accessing different NCFGs in a Dev/Test/Prod environment, double-clicking an NCFG file, and typing the AppConfig path into AGX (Globe Button-Set Application Configuration) may create separate entries in the AppConfig directory of a user's local workstation, and these AppConfig entries may be in conflict with each other. When in doubt, we delete all sub-directories under AppConfig. Every entry under the AppConfig directory could contain separate Basemaps and AddIns.

5) When all else fails, delete the settings.xml

A bit daunting, but we've largely alleviated this burden by putting in place some automated processes (i.e. cache delete, AppConfig delete) that run after any major update to our users. It has greatly reduced the number of users who encounter layer errors.

Mike