You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis explorer discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Explorer Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Explorer: General Discussion forum

Styles/Symbology in ArcGIS Explorer   Thomas Puthusserry Jun 02, 2008
Re: Styles/Symbology in ArcGIS Explorer   Shelly Gill Jun 03, 2008
Re: Styles/Symbology in ArcGIS Explorer   Thomas Puthusserry Jun 03, 2008
Re: Styles/Symbology in ArcGIS Explorer   Shelly Gill Jun 04, 2008
Re: Styles/Symbology in ArcGIS Explorer   Amy Steiger Dec 02, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Styles/Symbology in ArcGIS Explorer 
Author Thomas Puthusserry 
Date Jun 02, 2008 
Message Does anyone know how can the layer symbology/styles created for a polygon shapefile (or feature class in FGB) using ArcMap can be used in ArcGIS Explorer? I tried to save the styles in my folder, but doesnot seems to work.

Thomas Puthusserry
GIS Assistant
Groundwork South East
18-21 Morley Street, London SE1 7QZ
Tel: 020 7960 4260
Direct Tel: 020 7960 4269
Fax: 020 7922 1219

www.groundwork-se.org.uk
www.groundwork-gis.org.uk 
  Thomas Puthusserry
Groundwork GIS

Subject Re: Styles/Symbology in ArcGIS Explorer 
Author Shelly Gill 
Date Jun 03, 2008 
Message Hi Thomas,

If you have specific symbology which you made in ArcMap, the way to use it in ArcGIS Explorer is to put the symbols you want to use into a style file, then turn that style file into a ServerStyle file - this is the format used by ArcGIS Explorer (and also by ArcGIS Engine and ArcGIS Server). See http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=184&f=2208&t=222414&mc=4#msgid674498 .

Once you've got the server style file, you can distribute that to the Explorer machines that need to display the shapefiles - existing Style files live in \Styles. The new style should now be available - when you add content, in the final page of the Wizard where you choose the symbol, click the Styles button and you should see your new style listed, and once it's selected, you should see the symbols in the list box above.

Note use 9.2 ArcGIS to create the style file - not 9.3 beta if you have it as ArcGIS Explorer up to the current release might not read symbols from a later version of ArcGIS. I've not tried this with the whole range of possible symbols, so let us know if there's a specific type of symbol that you can't use sucessfully like this. I had problems with multilayer symbols for Points, but polygons and polylines drew with multilayer symbols fine. 
  Shelly Gill
ArcGIS Explorer Team - .NET API and SDK 

Author Thomas Puthusserry 
Date Jun 03, 2008 
Message Thanks Shelly,

Yes, I could convert the styles into serverstyle and use it in ArcExplorer. But, is there a way to use the layer symbology? At the moment the whole shapefile (polygon/points) takes same styles/symbols.

Many thanks in advance..

Thomas 
  Thomas Puthusserry
Groundwork GIS

Author Shelly Gill 
Date Jun 04, 2008 
Message Hi Thomas,

There's no way to use .Lyr files in Explorer, the server style is the nearest thing you can do. The alternative is that if you have server you can publish a map service of the shapefile, symbolized how you wish. 
  Shelly Gill
ArcGIS Explorer Team - .NET API and SDK 

Author Amy Steiger 
Date Dec 02, 2009 
Message The new ArcGIS Explorer can import ArcMap layerfiles 
  Amy Steiger

GIS Analyst
Wollongong, Australia