You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis explorer discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Explorer Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Explorer: General Discussion forum

Need more export options   Don Copple Aug 27, 2009
Re: Need more export options   Dominic Bull Oct 13, 2009
Re: Need more export options   Don Copple Oct 19, 2009
Re: Need more export options   Gregory Singer Oct 21, 2009
Re: Need more export options   Cameron Wallace Nov 20, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Need more export options 
Author Don Copple 
Date Aug 27, 2009 
Message I see that a layer can be exported to an nmc file. It looks very similar to kml (without location info, etc, needed by kml), it would be nice if kml were also and option for exporting arcgis explorer layers. I think this would make it even more marketable with the competition. Just a general discussion and wondering what others think. 

Subject Re: Need more export options 
Author Dominic Bull 
Date Oct 13, 2009 
Message I agree, I am adding some point locations in ArcGIS Explorer and would now like to get them back into the Desktop. Only export option is an .nmc file.
Guess I'll have to go to properties and copy & paste the LL into a spreadsheet...

Author Don Copple 
Date Oct 19, 2009 
Message I found out further information regarding the .nmc file. This is only a file that remembers the location of a shapefile (for instance)on a server and the last setting used to display that in GISExplorer. It just makes it a high power veiwer of GIS infromation, which I now that is what it is. To truly make it "GIS for Everyone" it defenately needs a way to export layers (not just data markers as .nmc is). Even GE allows exprting "layers" as a .kml file that can be viewed by all, even when they are not conected to the orginal server that the layer exist on. Hope that makes sense. Let me know if I need to clarify. Better yet, just make an export to .kml! Give GE a serious run for thier mony then. 

Author Gregory Singer 
Date Oct 21, 2009 
Message Would be nice if they made an option to export out: KML/KMZ/Shapefile/Geodatabase

I understand that this is a free tool, but some of us that are using AGX in the enterprise environment with ARGGIS Server, Image Server, ARCSDE, etc...there should be an option to utilize the 3D environment simple enough for the common user. ARCGLOBE is not the answer either (too clunky for a novice user) While I use ARCGlobe a lot for some of my data manipultation, I wouldn't expect one of our junior analysts (users) to use it

I like AGX 900 a lot, definitely a step in the right direction for competing with GE, but there is definitely some items that must be added for it to be truly useful...otherwise users are going to continue to just use GE. 

Author Cameron Wallace 
Date Nov 20, 2009 
Message Definitely need more export options. While I don't want a full-fledged data editor, the ability for me to get non-GIS co-workers to "draw" the features they want in a limited sort of way is great. If I could export to kml then manipulate the kml in ArcMap, would be extremely handy. Alternatively, a tool in ArcGIS Desktop to use *.nmc files would be equally useful.