You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis for autocad plug-in application forum > Thread Replies

ArcGIS for AutoCAD Plug-In Application Forum

ArcGIS for AutoCAD: General Discussion forum

Exporting a shapefile to a dwg file (AutoCa...   John Morresi Mar 06, 2009
Re: Exporting a shapefile to a dwg file (Au...   Karen Hodge Mar 06, 2009
Re: Exporting a shapefile to a dwg file (Au...   John Morresi Mar 09, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Exporting a shapefile to a dwg file (AutoCad 2000) 
Author John Morresi 
Date Mar 06, 2009 
Message Hi,

I need to export a shapefile to a dwg file (I have ArcGIS Desktop 9.3 - ArcView).

I immediately thought of the ArcGIS for AutoCAD plugin, but when I went to download it, I was told that "to use the ArcGIS for AutoCAD application you will need AutoCAD 2007, 2008, or 2009".

The problem is, we use AutoCAD 2000.

I looked on ESRI's scripts website but had no luck. I searched the web and did find a free script, "Arcv2CAD". It is touted as "converting ArcView / ESRI Shape files to AutoCAD DXF and DWG formats allowing shapefiles to be read by virtually all CAD" but I feel uncomfortable about downloading it as it's not from the ESRI website. (See http://software.geocomm.com/scripts/arcview/)

Does anyone have a solution? Again, the problem is that the AutoCAD plugin which would allow me to convert a shapefile to a .dwg file works only with more recent AutoCAD releases.

Thank you. 

Subject Re: Exporting a shapefile to a dwg file (AutoCad 2000) 
Author Karen Hodge 
Date Mar 06, 2009 
Message ArcGIS for AutoCAD doesn't actually support converting from ArcGIS formats to DWG--but ArcGIS does.

Do you have ArcGIS Desktop 9.3 SP1? If so, you can use the Export to CAD tool to create a DWG file from any GIS feature class -- including shape files.

At 9.3SP1, we changed the license level of this tool to ArcView. You can get the service pack at:

http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=downloads.patchesServicePacks.viewPatch&PID=43&MetaID=1457 

Subject Re: Exporting a shapefile to a dwg file (AutoCad 2000) 
Author John Morresi 
Date Mar 09, 2009 
Message Thank you!