You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcsde (9.1 and older) users online discussion forum > Thread Replies

ArcSDE (9.1 and older) Users Online Discussion Forum

ArcSDE: Installation forum

ArcSDE for Oracle9i Post installation   Frode Ĝijord Jul 12, 2004
Re: ArcSDE for Oracle9i Post installation   Larry Ahrens Jul 12, 2004
Re: ArcSDE for Oracle9i Post installation   Frode Ĝijord Jul 13, 2004
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject ArcSDE for Oracle9i Post installation 
Author Frode Ĝijord 
Date Jul 12, 2004 
Message Hi, i'm having problems with the post installation step of ArcSDE. I am unable to start the ArcSDE service. When attempting to start it from Services in windows XP i get the following error: Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

When attempting to start from the command line like this: sdemon -o start -i service_name -s servername -p sde_db_password i get the following error: Could not start ArcSDE -- Check Network, $SDEHOME disk, DBMS settings and dbinit.sde.

When re-running the ArcSDE Post installation it halts with the following: The ArcSDE Repository was unsuccessfully created. Would you like to view the status?. The status file says:

To upgrade your ArcSDE for Oracle 8i or Oracle 9i
service, you will also have to grant the following
additional permissions to the sde user to accomplish
the upgrade:

and then lists the permissions. However, adding these permissions to user sde has no effect.

Any ideas?

Subject Re: ArcSDE for Oracle9i Post installation 
Author Larry Ahrens 
Date Jul 12, 2004 
Message I have found that it works best if you grant the sde user the dba role to complete the install or upgrade process. Then revoke the role after you are finished. 

Subject Re: ArcSDE for Oracle9i Post installation 
Author Frode Ĝijord 
Date Jul 13, 2004 
Message Everything worked fine after a reboot.