You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcsde (9.1 and older) users online discussion forum > Thread Replies

ArcSDE (9.1 and older) Users Online Discussion Forum

ArcSDE: Installation forum

"operation failed, Unable to start iomgr."...   Tarik Turk Sep 29, 2005
Re: "operation failed, Unable to start iomg...   Larry Ahrens Sep 29, 2005
Re: "operation failed, Unable to start iomg...   Tarik Turk Sep 30, 2005
Re: "operation failed, Unable to start iomg...   Daniel Ribeiro Oct 05, 2005
Re: "operation failed, Unable to start iomg...   Benjamin Dwinal May 16, 2006
Re: "operation failed, Unable to start iomg...   Anu Kothandaraman May 17, 2006
Re: "operation failed, Unable to start iomg...   chile wang Jul 10, 2007
Re: "operation failed, Unable to start iomg...   Tom Collins Jul 13, 2007
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject "operation failed, Unable to start iomgr." message during post installation. 
Author Tarik Turk 
Date Sep 29, 2005 
Message When I am trying to post installation, "operation failed, Unable to start iomgr." message has been showed on Windows XP and SQLServer 2000 Developer Edition. How can i fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

My sde log file is as follow
-------------------------------------------------------
ArcSDE 9.0 SQL Server Build 1926 Fri Mar 19 13:29:17 PST 2004
-------------------------------------------------------
Connected to instance . . .
DBMS Connection established...
RDBMS: "SQL Server"
Instance Name: "esri_sde"
IOMGR Process ID (PID): 3644

[09/29/2005 18:26:25;SdeId=0;Client=GIOMGR] Cannot locate tcp service: esri_sde, check /etc/services.

Tarık Türk 

Subject Re: "operation failed, Unable to start iomgr." message during post installation. 
Author Larry Ahrens 
Date Sep 29, 2005 
Message Check in the services file located in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc . Look for a port number that matches that found in the %SDEHOME%\etc\services.sde file. If not add it.
It should look like this.
esri_sde 5151/tcp

Make sure if it is at the end of the file that there is a blank line that follows it. 

Subject Re: "operation failed, Unable to start iomgr." message during post installation. 
Author Tarik Turk 
Date Sep 30, 2005 
Message Although i have applied your advices and controlled them, the same error message was encountered. What can I do now?
Thanks.

Best regards.
Tarık Türk 

Author Daniel Ribeiro 
Date Oct 05, 2005 
Message Hi,
are you trying to configure several ArcSDE services on the same server ?
If so, there is something to do about the %SDEHOME%. You can have a look on your Arcsde Installation Help to "multiple installs".
If not, I've no better idea.

Regards. 

Author Benjamin Dwinal 
Date May 16, 2006 
Message This may be a little late to help with this situation but, I had the same problem and wanted to respond with the fix that I came up with.

I found that during the post installation process the giomgr.defs file was in some way being referenced by a component in the process. This seemed to be causing the problem. So, the work around that worked for me:

before running post installation setup
1) Navigate to your ArcSDE\sqlexe\etc folder
2) Make copies of the goimgr.defs, dbinit.sde, dbtune.sde files
3) rename files to
giomgr_{any name}.defs
dbinit_{any name}.sde
dbtune_{any name}.sde

4) Run Post Installation Setup
5) at the ArcSDE Configuration files selection screen, select User Custom file and navigate to and select new copies of the configuration files.
6) Continue with the post installation setup.

Post Installation completes and the created ArcSDE service starts.

Ben Dwinal
BAE Systems
bdwinal@adrinc.com 

Author Anu Kothandaraman 
Date May 17, 2006 
Message Thank you Ben !!! your a life saver 

Author chile wang 
Date Jul 10, 2007 
Message i have looked through all the recomments,now i have also happened the problem,but by following your advice,it doesnot work here,so i want to konw what is "iomgr"? 

Author Tom Collins 
Date Jul 13, 2007 
Message This problem can also occur if you don't register SDE after every database repository you create. I have a "vector" and a "working" database with one service for each, and I couldn't get my service to start for the working database because I mistakingly that registering the software once was enough.