You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcsde (9.1 and older) users online discussion forum > Thread Replies

ArcSDE (9.1 and older) Users Online Discussion Forum

ArcSDE: Microsoft SQL Server forum

MS Access as a front end to an SDE geodatab...   Randy . May 18, 2004
Re: MS Access as a front end to an SDE geod...   James Neild Jun 03, 2004
Re: MS Access as a front end to an SDE geod...   Chad Cottle Jun 04, 2004
Re: MS Access as a front end to an SDE geod...   David Blumberg Jan 25, 2005
Re: MS Access as a front end to an SDE geod...   dana n Jan 25, 2005
Re: MS Access as a front end to an SDE geod...   David Blumberg Jan 26, 2005
Re: MS Access as a front end to an SDE geod...   David Wright Feb 03, 2005
Re: MS Access as a front end to an SDE geod...   Jimae Haynes Jan 27, 2005
Re: MS Access as a front end to an SDE geod...   Barry Guidry Jan 17, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject MS Access as a front end to an SDE geodatabase? 
Author Randy . 
Date May 18, 2004 
Message We have an existing access database that we would like to upsize to ArcSDE (SQL Server 2000). Of the many tables 4 or 5 should be feature classes. Because of versioning is there any way that microsoft access can still be used to edit information in a feature class? Would it work with a sql multiversion view?

Is ArcObjects in conjunction with (vba/vb/c++/c#) the only way to build an application with SDE feature classes?

Thank You,
Randy K
kreuzrsk@dfw.wa.gov 

Subject Re: MS Access as a front end to an SDE geodatabase? 
Author James Neild 
Date Jun 03, 2004 
Message Randy,

If the data resides in ArcSDE, the only way to edit the spatial data is via ArcSDE clients. You cannot link to the tables in Access and expect to be able to edit the data.

If you simply want to edit attributes, then you could certainly write something via ArcObjects, or SQL to use multiversion views. So it depends on what your goals are...

James 

Author Chad Cottle 
Date Jun 04, 2004 
Message You DEFINITELY CAN edit attributes with Access when the data resides in ArcSDE. However, the issue is that your attribute changes may get over-written during COMPRESS if someone else is changing attributes to the data via an ArcSDE-enabled client.

We have a group define called Attr_Editor which is a collection of people who make attribute only changes to data. This is easily accomplished through Access. However, the guy from ESRI is correct about not being able to edit spatial data this way.

Chad 

Author David Blumberg 
Date Jan 25, 2005 
Message Chad-

I came accross your reply to this question and I am trying to accomplish the same thing. I have users out there who I would prefer to be the custodians of their own attribute data while I maintain the spatial data. I would like to develop MS Access based front-ends that make it easy for my users to edit the tables. You say it can be done. Can you offer any details on how this is done or refer me to a good source of information?
Thanks
Dave 

Author dana n 
Date Jan 25, 2005 
Message One thing to be mindful of here -- if you use Access as a front end to edit any type of tables residing on SQL Server, do not create an MDB file with links to the table and a system DSN connection (many peoples' first inclination).

Strange things can happen, like if a table's schema changes it can break your links as well as your forms.

Instead, create an Access Data Project (*.adp) instead of a *.mdb file. Access Data Projects inteface with SQL Server tables more natively, so you'll have less problems. But do be mindful of the rights you grant, because deleting a table in an Access Data Project will actually delete a table in SQL Server itself (if the ADP user has DROP privs), vs. an MDB file, where deleting the link merely kills the link and not the SQL Server table itself. 
  Dana N. 

Author David Blumberg 
Date Jan 26, 2005 
Message Interesting..Would you reccomend this tack for an Oracle driven SDE schema? 

Author David Wright 
Date Feb 03, 2005 
Message David;
Your best option here would probably to drop a couple of web mangement forms inplace instead of using the Access ADP to do your updates. In this case you are talking to you operations tables in a more native format and can better isolate your attribute information from you spatial data which can very easily get broken from a Access type front end.

From the GeoBase/Oracle perspective you are better off with a data input/editing aspect that can better be tuned for this use, versus using two dissparate technologies to reach your goal.

David Wright
Premier Data Services (Formerly of URS)
david.wright@premierdata.com 

Author Jimae Haynes 
Date Jan 27, 2005 
Message Well, we (City of Boise) have sort of a similar situation where some of our spatial layers have attributes that need to be edited frequently and by a variety of people. In some cases, the full set of attributes are not managed by GIS at all, but instead by other work groups.

What we've done, in these cases, is to create non-ArcSDE, purely relational databases, or tables in relational databases, for the attributes. The primary key is managed by the RDBMS (in our case SQL Server) and GIS carries that key in the featureclasses as a foreign key to the attributes. That way 1) attribute editors DO NOT need a connection into ArcSDE and 2) we can capitalize on all the strengths of a traditional relational database for a good chunk of our data. We are doing VB .NET GUIs/applications for those attrribute editors. They never get into GIS at all during editing.

We create spatial views, in ArcSDE, to join the attributes with the features. So far it works great. There are a couple of options for managing the foreign key inserts into the business table in ArcSDE - triggers on the relational database or via the .NET application (using code).

I would imagine that you could use an Access front-end to manage the edits to the relational tables, but doing it via a true development language is more robust and offers better security.

A couple of the things I especially like about this method of managing attributes are:
1) changing the schema is relatively easy compared to schema changes in ArcSDE; 2) we keep the connections to ArcSDE limited to those folks who actually need to do GIS operations; 3) GIS staff is not responsible for managing data that is more appropriately managed by others; and 4) traditional relational databases have great security models and very solid data integrity features - pardon my skepticism, but I'm still waiting for the way that ESRI has implemented data integrity to prove itself.

Author Barry Guidry 
Date Jan 17, 2008 
Message I have created an odb link to SDE (Oracle) from Access 2003, but would like to update a feature class in SDE, automatically, from an Access table. Is this possible? (maybe as a vba code in conjunction with a scheduled run batch file) 
  Barry Guidry
BGuidry@pantex.com

ArcGIS 9.3.1
ArcView, ArcEditor, ArcInfo
Spatial, 3D, Tracking Analyst's
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
Video card: Nvidia Quadro FX 3700
Memory: 4GB RAM (recognized)