You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcsde (9.1 and older) users online discussion forum > Thread Replies

ArcSDE (9.1 and older) Users Online Discussion Forum

ArcSDE: Raster forum

Pixel Formats in TIFF Files   Bobby Radakovich Jul 08, 2006
Re: Pixel Formats in TIFF Files   A.J. Romanelli Jul 08, 2006
Re: Pixel Formats in TIFF Files   Bobby Radakovich Jul 08, 2006
Re: Pixel Formats in TIFF Files   Zhiguang Han Jul 10, 2006
Re: Pixel Formats in TIFF Files   A.J. Romanelli Jul 10, 2006
Re: Pixel Formats in TIFF Files   Bobby Radakovich Jul 10, 2006
Re: Pixel Formats in TIFF Files   A.J. Romanelli Jul 10, 2006
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Pixel Formats in TIFF Files 
Author Bobby Radakovich 
Date Jul 08, 2006 
Message What pixel formats will SDE 9.0 accept for TIFF images? I am downloading images and saving them into TIFF formatted files, and I have various options for color depth and pixel format (e.g., RGB, ARGB, Indexed, etc).

I have done this succesfully in the past for grayscale images using an 8bppIndexed format. The sderaster command fails when I try 32bppRGB, saying "Unsupported pixel format". However, I am trying to construct a raster mosaic of mixed color and grayscale images, so if I use an 8bppIndexed format, all of the images get "munged" into a single common 256-color colormap, which results in good grayscale but ugly color portions of the mosaic.

The Indexed pixel formats are limited to 8 pits per pixel, so they won't be any use. I can't find in the documentation where the supported TIFF pixel formats are listed, only a single entry saying that TIFF is a supported format.

TIA! 

Subject Re: Pixel Formats in TIFF Files 
Author A.J. Romanelli 
Date Jul 08, 2006 
Message I've never run into a problem with any tiff images as long as they are not compressed, make sure the tiff file you are saving is not compressed and try again. I have seen messages about various tags not being supported by sderaster, by they are just extra information that is not part of the actual image data. Can you post one of the images that is causing the problem (a small one)?

If you are trying to mosaic colormapped and grayscale images into the same mosaic your best bet is probably to create a 3-band RGB raster, that way you don't have to worry about creating a colormap that contains all the grey scale and color values that you require.

P.S. - I haven't seen a listing of the various supported tiff formats, but I've never had a reason to look for one either.

P.S.S. - In order to mosaic images into a colormapped raster layer you need to drop the colormap first.

From the SDE developer help...
Colormaps
Colormaps can be applied to a single band raster that has an 8 or 16 bit pixel resolution. Colormaps are stored in ArcSDE as an integer array of numbers. Pixel values of the raster reference the index column of the colormap array. For colormap type SE_COLORMAP_RGB the renderer applies the red, green, and blue columns of the colormap array when it renders the image. The SE_COLORMAP_RGBA includes a fifth column that is commonly used by renderers to apply transparency. The values within the colormap can be stored as either unsigned character (SE__COLORMAP_DATA_BYTE) or unsigned short (SE__COLORMAP_DATA_SHORT).

Before an image can be mosaicked to a raster with a colormap, the colormap must be dropped. The colormap can be reapplied following the mosaic operation. However, any new pixel values must be added to the color map array.

If a raster has a colormap, ArcSDE restricts pyramid interpolation method to nearest neighbor because this is the only method that can insure that the pixel values of the pyramid will be computed as an existing colormap index value.

Author Bobby Radakovich 
Date Jul 08, 2006 
Message Attached is a TIFF image that I have tried to import with the following commands:

sderaster -o import -f image_150.tif -l test,image -c LZ77 -gN -L 0 -t 200,200 -G 26916

The command returns an error:

"Error: Unsupported samples per pixel: 4"

Thanks,

John H. 
  image_150.tif (opens in new window)

Author Zhiguang Han 
Date Jul 10, 2006 
Message The file appears to be a regular RGB image with an unused alpha channel. This format is not currently supported by sderaster. Can you try to save the file without the alpha channel?

zhiguang 
  ESRI 

Author A.J. Romanelli 
Date Jul 10, 2006 
Message As another alternative you might want to look at loading your data using ArcCatalog, or a geoprocessing script.

Also, just one clarification on your original posting. You said "What pixel formats will SDE 9.0 accept for TIFF images?" Keep in mind that data stored in SDE rasters does not maintain any relationship to the original source data, everything is converted to the sde raster storage format (which may use lz77, jpg, or jp2k compression). The limitation you are seeing is not from sde, it is from the sderaster tool. 

Author Bobby Radakovich 
Date Jul 10, 2006 
Message Thanks for the replies. I did indeed have success after removing the alpha channel and saving the TIFF as a true 24-bit image. Then I was able to import the images directly each as a 3-band RGB image and the resulting mosaic displays nicely in ArcMap.

One other question - when I try to use the Data Management tools for rasters to do this (I am scripting sde commands directly at the moment), my ArcMap Version 9.1 tells me I am not licensed to do this (e.g., create raster layer in SDE). Do I need additional licenses (over and above ArcMap 9.1 and ArcSDE 9.0 or 9.1) to simply use the ArcToolbox to do what I am able to do in SDE via the command line?

Thanks! 

Author A.J. Romanelli 
Date Jul 10, 2006 
Message In order to do this sort of "geodatabase stuff" using ArcCatalog you need at least an ArcEditor level license (an Arc/Info level license would work as well). If you only have an ArcView level license, you won't be able to create/modify geodatabase (SDE) objects such as layers and rasters.