You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcsde (9.1 and older) users online discussion forum > Thread Replies

ArcSDE (9.1 and older) Users Online Discussion Forum

ArcSDE: SDE for Coverages forum

Service does not appear to be running   Carl Powers Apr 28, 1999
Service doesn't appear to be running   Carl Powers Apr 28, 1999
similiar problem   Erich List Apr 29, 1999
Re: similar problem   Maria Teresa Borzacchiello Mar 29, 2007
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Service does not appear to be running 
Author Carl Powers 
Date Apr 28, 1999 
Message Windows NT 4.0, SP4:
In the 'Services' area of 'Control Panel', the SDE Service has a status of 'Started'. When I select the service, neither the 'Start' or 'Stop' button are available. When I go to a DOS prompt and type 'sdemon -o status', I get the following message: "SDE instance esri_sde is not up and running on powers" (powers is the name of my machine). If I type 'sdemon -o start -p sde', I get the message: "Unable to find a giomgr program to run, Unable to start iomgr".
Can anyone help me? 

Subject Service doesn't appear to be running 
Author Carl Powers 
Date Apr 28, 1999 
Message Windows NT 4.0, SP4:
In the 'Services' area of 'Control Panel', the SDE Service has a status of 'Started'. When I select the service, neither the 'Start' or 'Stop' button are available. When I go to a DOS prompt and type 'sdemon -o status', I get the following message: "SDE instance esri_sde is not up and running on powers" (powers is the name of my machine). If I type 'sdemon -o start -p sde', I get the message: "Unable to find a giomgr program to run, Unable to start iomgr".
Can anyone help me? 

Subject similiar problem 
Author Erich List 
Date Apr 29, 1999 
Message In the services contol panel when I try to start I get this error: error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start.
When I try sdemon -o start at a commmand line I get : unable to find a giomgr program to run, unable to start iomgr.

I reinstalled sde for coverages with no resolve. When I search myhard drive I find it in the arcexe72\lib folder. The path is set correctly in the system environment.

??? 

Subject Re: similar problem 
Author Maria Teresa Borzacchiello 
Date Mar 29, 2007 
Message Hi
I had a similar problem and the following thread solved it:
http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=2&f=59&t=64216#165248

Especially this
1. Shut down the SDE service (from windows control panel).
2. Stop and start the database.
3. Start the SDE service again (with sdemon command).

P.S. ArcSDE 9.0, Windows XP SP 2, oracle 10g release 2

Hope it helps anyone with a similar problem!!

Bye

Maria Teresa