You are here: > ESRI Forums > mobile gis forums > Thread Replies

Mobile GIS Forums

ArcGIS Mobile: General forum

Required NMEA Sentences?   Douglas Braeckel Nov 18, 2008
Re: Required NMEA Sentences?   Berend Veldkamp Dec 10, 2008
Re: Required NMEA Sentences?   Douglas Braeckel Dec 10, 2008
Re: Required NMEA Sentences?   Sabine Barrera Jan 21, 2009
Re: Required NMEA Sentences?   Douglas Braeckel Jan 22, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Required NMEA Sentences? 
Author Douglas Braeckel 
Date Nov 18, 2008 
Which NMEA sentences are required by Mobile ADF 9.3 in order to calculate position?

Below are the four I'm getting from my GPS.

$GPGGA
$GPGSA
$GPGSV
$GPRMC

I am unable to get Mobile to show my location until I first run it through GpsGate and out to a virtual COM port. I then connect serialPortGpsConnection to the virtual com port and everything is fine. Baud rates, data bits, everything checks out fine. What gives? 9.3 bug?

Thanks,

Doug 

Subject Re: Required NMEA Sentences? 
Author Berend Veldkamp 
Date Dec 10, 2008 
Message Is another application accessing that COM port? I think only one app. can have an open connection to a com port at one time. GpsGate provides a virtual com port that can be accessed by multiple applications simultaneously. 
  Berend Veldkamp
Grontmij | GIS & ICT
http://www.grontmij.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/berendveldkamp 

Author Douglas Braeckel 
Date Dec 10, 2008 
Message I am positive that no other applications are using that COM port. I can freely open it no problem with HyperTerminal and view the NMEA strings coming from it. Data is at the port but the serialPortGpsConnection object refuses to see it or fire off events.

I have been told it this is a known issue with 9.3 and that ESRI will "work with me on a device by device basis", but that is all I know at this point.

Deploying a 9.3 update to my 9.2 app is going to be frustrating, I can tell.

Author Sabine Barrera 
Date Jan 21, 2009 
Message Douglas,

You are missing $GPVTG.

The following sentences are require for Mobile:
$GPGGA
$GPGSA
$GPGSV
$GPRMC
$GPVTG

Are you using a usb GPS? If so, there is a known issue (NIM040003).

Sabine 

Author Douglas Braeckel 
Date Jan 22, 2009 
Message Sabine,

Thank you! So happy to finally get a solid answer on this...excellent.

That's a shame that $GPVTG is required now before the GPS object will work. That's going to preclude using many cheap GPS receivers I'd think. Technically, the object should work with at minimum the $GPRMC...the reason that's called a Recommended Minimum from NMEA.

Yes, I am using an USB GPS, but I was also afraid of moving a current app on a Trimble Juno from 9.2 to 9.3 until someone could state why GPS in 9.3 isn't working. I will now have to see what the Juno puts out. I'll also have to verify the GPS output from a Tough Book.

Does NIM040003 deal with the exception error when closing the com port?

Thanks,

Doug