You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcview 3.x users discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcView 3.x Users Discussion Forums

ArcView GIS - Core program forum

Garmin to ArcView 3.2 Conundrum   Shane Wohlken Feb 19, 2004
Re: Garmin to ArcView 3.2 Conundrum   Patrick Marren Feb 19, 2004
Re: Garmin to ArcView 3.2 Conundrum   Shane Wohlken Feb 19, 2004
Re: Garmin to ArcView 3.2 Conundrum   Patrick Marren Feb 20, 2004
Re: Garmin to ArcView 3.2 Conundrum   Shane Wohlken Feb 20, 2004
Re: Garmin to ArcView 3.2 Conundrum   Dan Patterson Feb 19, 2004
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Garmin to ArcView 3.2 Conundrum 
Author Shane Wohlken 
Date Feb 19, 2004 
Message I've been happily transferring waypoints, lines, and even building polygons from my Garmin III Plus into ArcView 3.2 using Waypoint+, AVGarmin, or DNR Garmin. After an accident with the Garmin III, I was forced to get a new GPS unit and settled on the much smaller and lighter Garmin Gecko 301. Now, I can no longer bring any of my data from the Garmin into ArcView using any of the above programs. I checked for updated version, but it appears that none of them have been updated in years. My questions: 1. Has anyone been able to tranfer points from their Gecko into AreView 3.2? 2. Does anyone know if the programs that I mentioned above can even handle this? 3. If the above programs can handle the Gecko, does anyone have a clue as to why I can't get mine to work (a simple setup procedure in either the programs or the Gecko)? If the above programs don't work, does anyone know of a program or programs that will successfully transfer data from the Gecko 301 into ArcView 3.2?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Shane 

Subject Re: Garmin to ArcView 3.2 Conundrum 
Author Patrick Marren 
Date Feb 19, 2004 
Message Shane - I do not use the Gecko model, but have used an eTrex and GPS 45XL and have only had any luck using the DNR Garmin extension. The latest version is 4.0 and can be found at http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/tools/arcview/extensions/DNRGarmin/DNRGarmin.html

Is the GPS able to communicate with any of these programs? Check that the COM port settings and baud rate are appropriate. Also look at how the GPS interface is setup. Make sure it is set to send and receive Garmin data, not NEMA. One more note... I recently ran into problems with DNR Garmin being able to communicate with my GPS. This was because a recently installed application(Microsoft ActiveSync) had my COM port tied up. Ending the program allowed the GPS to access the COM port. If all else fails contact the program authors to see if your Gecko is supported. 

Author Shane Wohlken 
Date Feb 19, 2004 
Message Thanks for the reply. Both Waypoint+ and DNR Garmin see the Gecko and will download the waypoints, but it goes downhill from there. Waypoint+ only shows garbage when I open the file to look at the points--and this basically keeps me from using AVGarmin. DNR Garmin does download the waypoints correctly, but when I try to save them as shapefiles, I can't get them to come into ArcView correctly. You are given a choice of bringing in the waypoints in as unprojected or as UTM 1984 Zone "X". I've tried both ways, and cannot get them to line up correctly in my view set at State Plane Ohio North using either Projector! or the Projection Utility. I'm obviously missing something here.

Thanks again for you help. 

Author Patrick Marren 
Date Feb 20, 2004 
Message Shane - This appears to be a projection issue. DNR Garmin stores the user projection/datum info in "dnrgarminprj.odb" which is saved to your $TEMP directory. Delete this file, then from ArcView (w/ the extension loaded)use the DNR Garmin | Set Projection menu option to re-set your projection information. Also, take a look at the FAQs in the help pages of the DNR Garmin program. 

Author Shane Wohlken 
Date Feb 20, 2004 
Message Patrick,

Thanks for that info. I made the necessary changes, and so far so good with DNR Garmin! Plus the new version of that program that I downloaded operates a bit more smoothly than my last version--so thanks to all who answered. Unfortunely, Waypoint+ still throws out garbage, so I guess I'll have to abandon AVGarmin for now--might have to spring for MapSource in order to get it to work. Anyway, gotta love these forums!

Thanks again,

Shane 

Author Dan Patterson 
Date Feb 19, 2004 
Message also checkout G7ToWin
http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/
and GPS utility
http://www.gpsu.co.uk/download.html 
  Geomatics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada