You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcview 3.x users discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcView 3.x Users Discussion Forums

ArcView GIS - Core program forum

Subtracting overlapping shape files/themes   Tino Tonnesen May 03, 2004
Re: Subtracting overlapping shape files/the...   Dan Patterson May 03, 2004
Re: Subtracting overlapping shape files/the...   Tino Tonnesen May 04, 2004
Re: Subtracting overlapping shape files/the...   Dan Patterson May 04, 2004
Re: Subtracting overlapping shape files/the...   Tino Tonnesen May 04, 2004
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Subtracting overlapping shape files/themes 
Author Tino Tonnesen 
Date May 03, 2004 
Message Hi all,

I have two overlapping shapefiles/themes with multible polygons in each. The problem is that I want to make a single shape file out of the two, but the polygons in the two files are overlapping so I need to subtract polygons from one file from the other.

I know of the 'Subtract features' but it only works with two polygons at a time (?). My shapefiles have around 500 polygons each, so it is not possible to take one at a time.

So, in other words I want to 'cut out' one shape file from another and then merge the two.

I hope this question is understandable.. :o)

Cheers,
Tino,
Copenhagen

Subject Re: Subtracting overlapping shape files/themes 
Author Dan Patterson 
Date May 03, 2004 
Message If the themes are merged, then you can use Bill Huber's "dissect overlaps" extension found on arcscripts website 
  Geomatics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada 

Author Tino Tonnesen 
Date May 04, 2004 
Message Hi Dan,

Thanks for your answer. I tried the extension you suggest, but it keeps telling me that i'm running out of memory allthough its a (relatively) new computer I'm using with lots of power.

However, both themes have around 2000 polygons can this be the problem? 

Author Dan Patterson 
Date May 04, 2004 
Message It definitely could be. You may have to do the processing in smaller sections 
  Geomatics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada 

Author Tino Tonnesen 
Date May 04, 2004 
Message Thanks, I'll try it.