You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcview 3.x users discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcView 3.x Users Discussion Forums

ArcView GIS - Core program forum

One to Many Spatial Join   Rob Gebeloff Nov 11, 2004
Re: One to Many Spatial Join   Dan Patterson Nov 11, 2004
Re: One to Many Spatial Join   Rob Gebeloff Nov 11, 2004
SUM: One to Many Spatial Join   Rob Gebeloff Nov 12, 2004
Re: One to Many Spatial Join   Bjoernar Nordeidet Nov 15, 2004
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject One to Many Spatial Join 
Author Rob Gebeloff 
Date Nov 11, 2004 
Message I have a point theme and a polygon theme. It would be easy enough to do a spatial join and assign each point the attributes of the polygon it sits in...

BUT... the polygons overlap, and a point might reside in more than one...

Is there a tool out there which would preserve the many to one relationship and give me a table with a record for each intersection?

In other words, if Point X lies within the boundaries of Polygons 1, 2 and 3, I'd want my output to look like:

Thanks...

Subject Re: One to Many Spatial Join 
Author Dan Patterson 
Date Nov 11, 2004 
Message A one to many is a "link" not a join. If you want to redefine space to identify the overlaps, get Bill Huber's "dissect overlaps" extension from arcscripts (do a key word search using "QD" to identify his scripts/extensions) 
  Geomatics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada 

Author Rob Gebeloff 
Date Nov 11, 2004 
Message Dan: I'm not sure what you mean about "refine space" -- I don't think I want to refine anything or get rid of the overlap, because the overlaps in this case are not an error but a reflection of reality... What I'm shooting for is a table that documents each and every intersection that exists between a point and a polygon -- for every point, I need to know which, if any, zones it falls within... Thanks 

Subject SUM: One to Many Spatial Join 
Author Rob Gebeloff 
Date Nov 12, 2004 
I tried using Two-theme Analyst, making a proximity table with a distance of zero, and left it running when I left work last night.

It ran for four hours, but appears to have succeeded.... Every intersection between point and polygon is a record in a new table that can now be joined to either theme for further analysis...

Author Bjoernar Nordeidet 
Date Nov 15, 2004 
Message I suggest you use the Automate Select theme extention. Using this tool you are able to make a list of polygon ID for each point, identifying all polygons the point are "inside".
The extention could be dowloaded at ESRIs Arcscript pages.
B.