You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcview 3.x users discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcView 3.x Users Discussion Forums

ArcView GIS - Core program forum

ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS   Sandra Rincon Feb 02, 2009
Re: ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS   Dan Patterson Feb 02, 2009
Re: ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS   Sandra Rincon Feb 03, 2009
Re: ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS   David Drosselmeyer Feb 13, 2009
Re: ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS   wil marsden May 15, 2009
Re: ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS   wil marsden May 15, 2009
Re: ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS   jok bautista Aug 18, 2009
Re: ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS   Ori Sartono Aug 18, 2009
Re: ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS   William Huber Aug 19, 2009
Re: ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS   Ken R Sep 13, 2009
Re: ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS   William Huber Sep 14, 2009
Re: ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS   Ken R Sep 14, 2009
Re: ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS   Ken R Sep 14, 2009
Re: ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS   Roger Adams Nov 23, 2009
Re: ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS   Malcolm Jones Dec 01, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS 
Author Sandra Rincon 
Date Feb 02, 2009 
Message I'D WANT TO KNOW IF ANY RESTRICTION EXISTS TO INSTALL ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS. IF THERE IS ANY, CAN YOU HELP ME TO DEAL WITH? 

Subject Re: ARCVIEW 3.2 ON WINDOWS VISTA 64-BITS 
Author Dan Patterson 
Date Feb 02, 2009 
Message your caps lock is on
did you rule out the search on this forum using
Vista 64
as a keyword search? 
  Geomatics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada 

Author Sandra Rincon 
Date Feb 03, 2009 
Message No, because this item it's more than general. I really need to know if tere is any restriction to install Aecview 3.2 on Windows Vista 64-bits. In fact, I guest my doubt is about ArcView 

Author David Drosselmeyer 
Date Feb 13, 2009 
Message ArcView 3.2 will work on Vista64, however you must install it manually. The install program is 16-bit and not supported on Vista64. 

Author wil marsden 
Date May 15, 2009 
Message hi, can you please tell me how to 'manually' install arcview 3.2? thanks!! 

Author wil marsden 
Date May 15, 2009 
Message I was able to get ArcView 3.2 installed on both Windows Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 after a couple hours of messing around.

I downloaded a program called Advanced Installer
www.advancedinstaller.com onto my Windows XP 32bit PC that already had a ArcView install on it.

Made a new Installation Package with Advanced Installer, and manually entered the Registry Entries using the Advanced Installer program. And it worked.

There was one file that need to be copied in order for ArcView to open sucessfully and it is located @

c:program files\common files\esri\mtch.dll (although I copied the entire ESRI folder from the 32 bit XP to the new 64 bit Windows 7) 

Author jok bautista 
Date Aug 18, 2009 
Message Hi,

Can you give me a detailed information on how to manually install arcview 3.2 on vista?

Thanks. 

Author Ori Sartono 
Date Aug 18, 2009 
Message This I found on Google:

http://gisatbrown.typepad.com/gis/2007/01/arcgis_and_wind.html

Good advice: If you insist on using Vista, just dual boot you computer with XP.

Ori Sartono
Hydrogeologist / Groundwater ( http://hydro365.com

Author William Huber 
Date Aug 19, 2009 
Message ArcView 3.x does not make essential use of the Windows registry: remember, it was designed to work on multiple platforms. Thus, in principle all you have to do is take a working installation on some previous version of Windows and copy it, file for file, path for path, to the target machine. This has worked well for me in previous versions of Windows. (I don't use Vista and don't have plans to do so in the near future.) 
  --Bill Huber
Quantitative Decisions (http://www.quantdec.com )
More GIS Q&A at http://gis.stackexchange.com/q/3083/664 

Author Ken R 
Date Sep 13, 2009 
Message I've come across this thread a few times from various places, so i thought I would add to this some current experiences (and questions tangentially related).

I recently bought a new computer with Vista x64. I manually* installed AV3x and it seemed to work (*copy existing installation to new computer). There were a few quirks. I wasn't able to open an older project (having updated drive letters, etc.) though I didn't go too far to correct the issue. I was able to start a new project. I performed various processes, including using spatial analyst, a-ok... I needed to install fonts...

But anyway, I didn't stick with this AV3x on Vista; I wanted to load XP in a dual-boot configuration - because I have a lot of other 'older' programs I want/need to use. I'm now running av3x under XP Pro SP3. It works as good/better than it ever did, so far. I haven't done much yet.

Now, the question/s: Does anybody have thoughts on, a summary of, AV3x performance limits? For example, I read that it can't take advantage of multi-processors ('dual-core' or what have you; I have Intel 'core i7' in a Dell XPSmt). You CAN run other programs and not have them bog down, though, while AV processes.

On gauging performance, I loaded some large shapefiles with taxlots, drew and redrew (refreshed), moved around (I gather these would be mostly performed by the video card). I calculated centroids for some 500,000 or so taxlots. That seemed to process about as fast as it always had on my older Dell. I calculated density, small cells (52 feet). That seemed to process fast enough; not sure if it was any faster than before. Etc. The older project itself loaded and ran fine...

I experimented with paging files (or no paging file): Not sure exactly what's going on with that. Taskmanager still shows 'PF usage' stats/info. I don't know if AV is using a paging file on hard disk (it shouldn't be, now, as far as I know) or if it's just using RAM (I have 4GB)... In any event, it didn't seem to improve performance - performing the same operations as I did before - converting 500,000 or so taxlot polygons to centroids, calculating density, etc. While doing these things I also opened as many programs as I could, one with a large 100+MB image file, drawing and redrawing, internet, etc. The computer as a whole with AV procesing at same time performed well.

So, back to that question. Is there anything that can be done to make AV process/calculate faster? Or, am I up against some limits? For example, I have a vague notion that dbase files or something similar that AV uses in some of its processing can't be larger than 2GB - maybe that's one type of limit?

Before I installed AV on the new computer, I had this idea that, 'wow, it will really go fast now' (with another idea, in the back of my head that, 'no, it will not' - because it wasn't designed for the new computers)... Another limit is this idea that it can only use one of my '8' processors; I don't exactly know how these 8 processors work together, but, for instance, the taskmanager shows 8 usage meters (the green bars). AV only taxes one of them when it's churning away. I read that AV is a 'single-thread' app or something like that and chooses the processor it will use and sticks with it (ArcGis 9x being the same)... CPU usage as a whole sticks at 13% (with my centroids and taxlots). That makes sense - av working on 1 out of 8 processors... Would AV3x work BETTER on Vista x64, or is AV's coding, it's design, simply the limiting factor now - now that computers have come such a long way since it came out?

Yeah, maybe I should have started a new thread. But I thought others moving to Vista or say Windows 7, or contemplating sticking with XP, might find some of this relevant, since perhaps we're all trying to stretch AV as far as we can. I am. 

Author William Huber 
Date Sep 14, 2009 
Message I have no time to go into details, Ken, so here is a brief rundown of limitations:

* AV 3 is a 32-bit app. This means it is unable to address more than 4 GB RAM.

* DBF and shapefile structures both incorporate 32-bit addresses. Because ESRI uses signed addresses, this limits the parts of dBase and shapefile files (.dbf, .shp, and .shx) to 2 GB.

* AV 3 is single-threaded: it has no code for exploiting more than one processor at a time. Therefore calculation speeds are determined primarily by CPU clock speed and to some extent by the CPU's capabilities to "pipeline" single threads of instructions.

* Page files are used and controlled by the operating system, not the application. If you're so limited in resources that you're having to page RAM while an app is running, that will decrease its speed by four to five orders of magnitude, typically.

* Drawing speeds are determined primarily by video graphics card capabilities--but 2D capabilities only, not 3D (except possibly for the 3D Analyst extension).

* The OS chooses which processor(s) will execute an application, not the app itself.

* Probably the biggest effect on AV 3's performance will be improved disk access speeds and I/O throughput speeds (which include some performance enhancements available from having huge amounts of RAM to cache large files).

The bottom line is that you're not going to see any substantial increase in AV 3's performance solely due to migration to a 64 bit machine or to a new OS. 
  --Bill Huber

Author Ken R 
Date Sep 14, 2009 
Message Thanks Bill. A lot of good info for someone who 'has no time' to deal with it (in detail).

-On the 32bit app idea, yeah, it's starting to gel in my head... Does the 4GB limitation apply to paging file size as well? For example, AV (and other 32 bit apps) can deal with a sum total of 4GB of memory, whether that's RAM or 'virtual memory'/paging file. My guess is the sum total. If that's so there might not be any need to use a paging file, no?, particularly if one had, say a little over 4GB of RAM, say 6GB...

-the 32-bit addresses idea - I think I kind of get that as well. In general, 32 bits can represent a finite, limited number - like the 256 colors in an 8 bit(?) scheme... More bits, larger number, more 'addresses' at which, through which, to access data, or something...

-Kind of get the single-thread, single processor idea...

-And again on paging files - my thinking was originally informed probably by an article or 2 that was out-dated. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like, theoretically, if the app is 32 bits it can only deal with a max of 4GB, and if you have 4GB+ RAM, you shouldn't be using a paging file, as in the file that puts data on the hard disk rather than just in the RAM... I don't really understand why the taskmanager shows paging file stats when I've disabled paging file, unless it sort of thinks of paging like, 'this is the data that would be paged if there were a paging file, but there isn't, so I'll report stats about the pseudo-paged data that are really just loaded in the system's RAM'...

-Drawing speeds and graphics cards - yes, that's what I thought. I bought a separate graphics card/video card that supposedly deals with graphics on its own - has its own memory, processor, whatever...

-OS chooses the processor... I guess that's good to know. That one article said AV chooses the processor though. Doesn't make much difference to me. There's some choosing going on - probably better that the OS does it, like there's some coordination going on, rather than AV taking over the computer (like it did in the 'old' days with a single processor)...

-'...improved disk access speeds...' Hmm, does this have to do with the quality/performance of the hard disk drive/s? For example, I only have one hard drive and I was thinking about getting another for various reasons. And in my looking into it, I find that some drives are more for performance, while others are more for power consumption, et al. My current drive has a 16MB buffer, while other higher performance ones have 32MB buffers, for instance. Are these sorts of things relevant to 'disk access speeds'? What about a 'RAID0' configuration? Might that improve AV performance?

-on improved performance on 64 bit machines - there I was sort of thinking that Vista or whatever OS geared for a 64bit machine 'configures' the 'machine' better overall, and that maybe as such AV might work better... For example, under XP 32 bit on my 64 bit machine, I noticed that I have 'a bunch' of ... 'Intel' memory-processor-chipset sort of devices that simply do not install, whereas they do under the 64 bit Vista OS... At one point I was thinking that that was why AV could use only 1 of the 8 processors (note: I have no real clue what '8 processors' means in my system; why not have 8 or however many simply acting like 1 giant super processor?). Now I see that that's not the issue. Basically, under Vista 64 I was thinking that the processors and 'stuff' work better together and so AV using only one processor still might work better. Something like that.

Don't stress out about answering my questions. If you can (in terms of time, effort, not ability), please do. If not I won't be astonished, depressed. I realize I'm throwing a lot of 'stuff' out in the air here... Thanks. 

Author William Huber 
Date Sep 14, 2009 
Message The paging file is maintained by the OS, Ken. It is used like this: suppose all RAM is full and an app needs some RAM. The OS quietly copies the contents of RAM owned by another app onto the hard drive and gives that to the requesting app. All this is totally invisible to the apps themselves. It effectively makes almost all of the RAM available to every app rather than permanently splitting it among them.

Quality and performance of the disk drives is part of it. This includes RAID solutions, which use multiple disks to improve I/O throughput. The other part of this consideration is how the OS manages disk drive usage. For example, with huge amounts of RAM available, the OS can copy a disk into RAM, at which point all reading (and, temporarily if you're daring) all writing go at the speed of RAM accesses, which is typically 10,000 to 100,000 times faster. Again, the app has no idea this is happening: it all looks the same to it.

Overall improved performance of a machine will help AV 3 a little. Typically, the greatest boosts from upgrades have been coming from disk performance and, to a lesser extent, video card performance. (All the bells and whistles on your card are for 3D operations, not 2D, by the way, and do little to help 2D performance.)

Intel can put way more transistors on a chip than are needed to support one processor. Moreover, after a point there's a huge imbalance among the machine's resources when you devote most of the transistors to RAM and only (relatively) a few for executing instructions (the CPU). One solution is to have lots of independently executing CPUs chewing away on the same RAM. This gets much better performance out of all the transistors on a chip in many settings. So, yes, you really do have eight processors and when all you're doing is running AV, seven of them are sitting around doing nothing. You might as well join SETI or one of those group DNA-folding computations or something like that and let it borrow the unused power on your computer. 
  --Bill Huber

Author Ken R 
Date Sep 14, 2009 
Message On your description of how paging file works - that's how I thought it worked. But, when I turned my paging file off, an option in XP's 'system settings/advanced' menus, taskmanager still showed stats for the things I thought had to do with paging activity taking place - such as "PF Usage," "Page File Usage History," and "Kernel Memory"... And, all this is happening, info being displayed, when RAM doesn't seem to be full, or isn't likely to be full ("Physical Memory" - total and available, indicative of amount of RAM, right?)...

I don't know. I have run processes in AV where I got memory error messages and/or where the "page file usage" graph maxed-out. I think one problem had to do with the 2GB limit you mentioned earlier, though I seem to recall that, at these maxed-out times, the PF graph was also maxed-out; increasing the page file size did nothing; and I don't see what the 2GB limit has to do with the paging file use or limits...

Point being? I think I had only 1 or 2 GBs of RAM then, but now that I have 4, and since AV and other 32 bit apps can only utilize 4 (2GB in some of these instances with AV3), it seems like I should rarely if ever need to use a paging file... We'll assume I'm only running AV: if it can only utilize 4GB then it should never need to have its operations paged. OK, maybe I'd need more RAM since some is used for the system and I effectively only have about 3GB available to AV... But the concepts are correct aren't they?.

In terms of Windows Vista (or 7) 64bit - perhaps all this is relevant in making decisions about where one will want to run AV3x - in Vista, XP, on a single or dual-boot computer, etc. Eventually I'll experiment with running AV on my computer under both windows 7 and XP (I'm ditching Vista). I don't expect any gains; I'm just hoping to take AV along for the ride as I migrate to a single operating system. On the other hand, I guess I'm equally trying to decide if I should just set-up a dedicated XP boot for AV and a handful of other apps... In general, the other apps can be upgraded, while AV cannot. And I've pretty much always hated ArcGIS9x - not that I could ever afford it for myself, outside of an institutional setting. 

Author William Huber 
Date Sep 14, 2009 
Message Increasing page file size won't help you with any single app, Ken: the point is that it helps you run many apps (including a zillion system processes in the background) simultaneously. Look up the recommendation for your OS and follow that. It typically is to make the page file about equal to the size of RAM available. 
  --Bill Huber

Author Roger Adams 
Date Nov 23, 2009 
Message Has anyone had success loading ArcView Classic (the 3.3 version) on a 32bit Windows 7 OS? And, if it can be successfully run on Windows 7, how did the install process go? Any issues? We, too, intend to push AV3 as far as it will go. Thanks in advance. 

Author Malcolm Jones 
Date Dec 01, 2009 
Message I successfully installed ArcView 3.2 on a netbook running Windows 7 (32-bit). Installer ran fine. Haven't used it (yet) other than to verify install.
Good Luck,
Tim