You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcview 3.x users discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcView 3.x Users Discussion Forums

ArcView GIS - Core program forum

How do I convert cartesian XY coordinates t...   Andy Jackson Feb 27, 2001
Latlong.avx?   Annaliese Feb 27, 2001
re: How do I convert cartesian XY coordinat...   Melita Kennedy Feb 27, 2001
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject How do I convert cartesian XY coordinates to Lat/Long? 
Author Andy Jackson 
Date Feb 27, 2001 
Message I've got a spreadsheet with cartesian XY coordinates in it that I would like to convert to standard lat/longs and vice-versa.

Could I add a new theme by importing XY coordinate pairs into ARCView using a flat map projection system and then change the projection system to Geographic or something that would have a 'world' projection (i.e. Geographic)?

I will be going from 2-D XY coordinates to a 2-D Lat-Long map.

If this cannot be done, are there any formulas out there that I could use to make these conversions using Avenue and/or Visual Basic ????

Thanks!
- Andy 

Subject Latlong.avx? 
Author Annaliese 
Date Feb 27, 2001 
Message I've never tried it but latlong.avx looks like it may do the trick for you. It's a conversion tool, available on the ArcScripts page.

http://gis.esri.com/arcscripts/details.cfm?CFGRIDKEY=4F05C7CF-A385-11D4-943300508B0CB419

Annaliese 

Subject re: How do I convert cartesian XY coordinates to Lat/Long? 
Author Melita Kennedy 
Date Feb 27, 2001 
Message If you have version 3.2, you can add the XY coordinate pairs to AV using an
event theme (under View). Add the table to the view and that will enable the
option. Once it's added, you can convert it to a shapefile (Theme > Convert
to a Shapefile).

At that point you have several options. You need to know the projected
coordinate system of your XY data. What's the map projection, parameters,
and datum (geographic coordinate system)? You can use the ArcView
Projection Utility or the Projector! sample extension.

Melita