You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcview 3.x users discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcView 3.x Users Discussion Forums

ArcView GIS - Core program forum

any way to change jpg/tiff to shapefile?   Tiffany Neu Aug 14, 2001
(no subject)   Jimae Haynes Aug 14, 2001
(no subject)   greg henson Aug 17, 2001
mapscan   Tim Aug 21, 2001
re: any way to change jpg/tiff to shapefil...   Chris Blakely Aug 14, 2001
displaying a tiff   Angela Brink Aug 16, 2001
(no subject)   Erika Aug 16, 2001
raster graphics to shapefiles   Tim Aug 16, 2001
(no subject)   greg henson Aug 17, 2001
converting tiff or jpg to shapefiles   Bettina B. Aug 21, 2001
tiff/jpeg2shape   Sani Takwim Aug 24, 2001
tiff/jpeg2shape   Sani Takwim Aug 24, 2001
MapScan for Windows   Jason Wise Mar 01, 2002
Re: MapScan for Windows   Barbara Sajkowska Mar 01, 2002
Re: MapScan for Windows   Charles Herbold Mar 08, 2002
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject any way to change jpg/tiff to shapefile? 
Author Tiffany Neu 
Date Aug 14, 2001 
Message Well, I've searched and searched and haven't found much help in trying to create shapefiles from picture files (jpg/tiff,etc.). It may not be possible, but I thought I'd throw a question out to you all. I truly appreciate any assistance that is given. I have pulled most of my hair out and my fellow employees' hair out as well on this quandary (poor chaps). Thank you. 

Subject (no subject) 
Author Jimae Haynes 
Date Aug 14, 2001 
Message This may not be helpful and I might be wrong too, but I believe that shapefiles are inherently vector data while image files are rastor.

There is a conversion command from rastor to vector (and vice versa), but it has been awhile since I used it. It might have been called from GRID in ArcInfo...

This copied right out of ArcView's Help files (see GRID):
"With ArcView's Spatial Analyst Extension you can convert themes based on vector features to grids. You can also derive grids from various spatial analysis operations. Grids can be added to views as grid themes. "

Sorry I can't be of more help... 

Subject (no subject) 
Author greg henson 
Date Aug 17, 2001 
Message there's a program called MAPSCAN, from the United Nations, that will vectorize a raster. it looks pretty good for line drawings, but i haven't gotten much workable from photos....but then, i've never gotten beyond playing with it. it's available at:
http://www.un.org/Depts/unsd/softproj/index.htm 

Subject mapscan 
Author Tim 
Date Aug 21, 2001 
Message Good luck getting Mapscan. After filling out an on-line request form for the download at the UN web site, I got the usual 404 "not on this server" error message. 

Subject re: any way to change jpg/tiff to shapefile?  
Author Chris Blakely 
Date Aug 14, 2001 
Message Excuse the question, but why would you want to convert a picture to a shapefile? What exactly do you want to accomplish? Give some more details and someone will be able to help. 

Subject displaying a tiff 
Author Angela Brink 
Date Aug 16, 2001 
Message Using the Image Analysis Extention you can open a tiff in Arcview and assisgned geographic coordinates to the image to get it to diplay right. This won't make it a shape file but it will allow you to display it properly under other shapefile themes. 

Subject (no subject) 
Author Erika 
Date Aug 16, 2001 
Message I can't speak for Tiffany, but in my own work this is also a question. I have .gif, or .jpg images of conservation areas, I also am creating an attribute and spatial database to go with these areas. If I could convert those images to shapefiles, I could alter the boundaries, where there are inconsistancies, and I could associate each area with its database internally, rather than having to link it outside of AV. 

Subject raster graphics to shapefiles 
Author Tim 
Date Aug 16, 2001 
Message This is a long shot - Adobe Streamline can auto-trace pictures and images that have well-defined edges between colors or greyscales. That will give you a 'line drawing" of the main features of the image. Then use Adobe Illustrator to save the streamline files as vector graphics.
Never actually done it with GIS, but it might be worth a try. 

Subject (no subject) 
Author greg henson 
Date Aug 17, 2001 
Message after another bit on ponderance, let me offer this one ....
you CAN convert jpg and tif to shapefiles by:- convert them to grids
- then convert the grids to shapes

but even with this information, all the above applies, since you're likely to only end up with very large shapefiles that will have very little utility in their vector state, although for some of the uses folks have described, you may find utility in the grids.

Subject converting tiff or jpg to shapefiles 
Author Bettina B. 
Date Aug 21, 2001 
Message I believe with the Image Analysis extension you can accomplish this. The book that comes with it isn't the best, but the tutorial is ok and can be gone through quickly. If you order Image Analysis, be sure you have one that matches your version of Arcview. You may need to update. Another option is convert it to a grid with Spatial Analyst--I think I have done that. If I were you, though, I would load it in using Image Analysis and giving it geospatial references, like using some type of border, as in, county lines, and then draw it by view-new theme, and use the polygon on circle or whatever works best. Good luck! 

Subject tiff/jpeg2shape 
Author Sani Takwim 
Date Aug 24, 2001 
Message Hi All,
I don't think that it is that easy to vectorised images to shape using the Image Analyst of AV i.e. the Seed Tool. It is too tedious of a job and isn't worth it.
I know that AV 3d Analyst can convert your image data to grid.From Grid, using the AV Spatial Analyst (the reclassify command), you can convert the output to shapefile. Anyway, I doubt if you will be satisfied by this outcome shapefile.

Thanks for your attention.

Sani 

Subject tiff/jpeg2shape 
Author Sani Takwim 
Date Aug 24, 2001 
Message Hi All,
I don't think that it is that easy to vectorised images to shape using the Image Analyst of AV i.e. the Seed Tool. It is too tedious of a job and isn't worth it.
I know that AV 3d Analyst can convert your image data to grid.From Grid, using the AV Spatial Analyst (the reclassify command), you can convert the output to shapefile. Anyway, I doubt if you will be satisfied by this outcome shapefile.

Thanks for your attention.

Sani 

Subject MapScan for Windows 
Author Jason Wise 
Date Mar 01, 2002 
Message In case anyone is still looking for MapScan for Windows, which I think is a very handy program, you can get it at http://netgis.geo.uw.edu.pl/free/mapscan/. I think the site is at the University of Warsaw, but I'm not sure because I don't speak Polish. Anyway, the site works, unlike the official UN sites, and version 1.0 is still the current version.

MapScan is a beta that never got revisited, and it's a bit cranky. It's finicky about file formats, and it doesn't have command-line options or other things that would make it easier to use. However, it does turn line drawings into shapefiles, and that's something that no other free software that I know of will do.

I'm not sure if MapScan will work with JPEGs, because it likes for things to be more concrete than that. The best input for MapScan is a one-bit-per-pixel image, kind of like what you get if you "posterize" an image. You can use IrfanView (free for home use or US$10 for professional use) to convert images into TIFFs and reduce their color depth. IrfanView, by the way, is a wonderful piece of software that's useful for many things. Unfortunately, www.irfanview.com doesn't seem to be working as I write this. But with the combination of IrfanView and MapScan, you could deal with just about any format.

And by the way, for those of you who are interested in converting images from one file format to another, about the only format that IrfanView can't handle is MrSID. MrSID Viewer, which is free from LizardTech, will convert MrSIDs to TIFFs, and you can use IrfanView to proceed from there. It's very unlikely that anyone would need to vectorize anything that began as a MrSID file, but this stuff is useful for other things. 

Subject Re: MapScan for Windows 
Author Barbara Sajkowska 
Date Mar 01, 2002 
Message Jason,
Thank you for this great link. I'm originally from Poland so I can translate. Yes the site is from Warsaw University, School of Geology. But pdf with description of MapScan is in written in English and if I understand properly it was prepared by United Nations at New York (see page 3 "Preface")
Best regards,
Barbara 
  BSajkowska@aol.com, Long Island, NY

Subject Re: MapScan for Windows 
Author Charles Herbold 
Date Mar 08, 2002 
Message I posted the MapScan Program to the Esri AcrScrips
Web Site so other people can see it and use it

http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=12008