You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcview 3.x users discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcView 3.x Users Discussion Forums

ArcView GIS - Core program forum

arcview extension   conya spencer Aug 20, 2002
Re: arcview extension   Randall Lau Aug 21, 2002
Re: arcview extension   conya spencer Aug 21, 2002
Re: arcview extension   David Kimball Aug 21, 2002
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject arcview extension 
Author conya spencer 
Date Aug 20, 2002 
Message I am having trouble activating extensions downloaded from ESRI website. I can view the extensions but can not use them. I am using Windows '98. Also, after installing Crystal Reports a few months after upgrading ArcView 3.2, I am asked for a password to access any report I create. What could be the problems in these situations? 

Subject Re: arcview extension 
Author Randall Lau 
Date Aug 21, 2002 
Message Could you please explain:

"View the extension..." With what are you viewing the extension?
"After upgrading ArcView 3.2..." from what? Or, what version are you using?

Thank you 

Author conya spencer 
Date Aug 21, 2002 
Message By "view" I mean I can see (the name of the extension .avx is there) the extension when I go to windows explorer but when I go to extensions in arcview (1) the extension is there but I am not able to activate it (2) the extension is simply not shown. I upgraded from Arview 3.1. 

Author Randall Lau 
Date Aug 21, 2002 
Message 1. Just need to know that you checked to ensure that the extension file is in the Ext32 folder of ArcView?
2. And, to ensure that the extensions that you downloaded are not dependent on another extension that you do not have loaded, or available. For example, there are extensions that you could download from ESRI that require Spatial Analyst, or 3-D Analyst to actually work.
Otherwise, I cannot figure out why your extensions should not be available. But, I hope that this helps. 

Author conya spencer 
Date Aug 21, 2002 
Message Yes I did check to make sure it was in the appropriate folder. In regard to whether or not they are dependent upon another extension. At this point I will say no they are not. And the reason I say that is because, I've talked to two people who went step by step with me in downloading them. It worked on their system but on mine it did not. I am having the same situation with trying to run Crystal Reports. It keeps asking me for a password. Your comments were very helpful. Can you suggest any means that would help me find ut what the problem is? 

Author Randall Lau 
Date Aug 21, 2002 
Message The only other thing that I could suggest is that you check through the archives on the ESRI website incase someone else has run into this before. You may also want to check with the folks that helped you download the extensions to ensure that you are working with the same extensions. Sorry I cannot be of more assistance. 

Author David Kimball 
Date Aug 21, 2002 
Message Just to be sure:

1) Have you unzipped and placed the .avx file in c:\esri\av_gis30\arcview\ext32\ ?

2) In AV, when you click File...Extensions does the extension appear in the list of available extensions? Always? Sometimes? When you say "when I go to extensions in arcview (1) the extension is there but I am not able to activate it (2) the extension is simply not shown" do you mean that sometimes it's there and sometimes not, randomly?

3) When you click on the extension's name, does the description of the extension appear in the box at the bottom?

4) Can you click the checkbox? If not, does it show a little circle with a line through it as the icon when you hold the mouse over the checkbox?

5) If you can click the checkbox, does the extension load without any errors? Does the extension work?

6) Does this problem occur with ALL extensions that you download? How about with extensions that came with ArcView? Try downloading another common extension like XTools and see if the problem is the same. What extension(s) are you having the problem with?

7) if you click the Add Themes button and type $AVEXT in the Directory: box at the top and hit ENTER; does it go to the directory where you are keeping your extensions? If so, try typing $USEREXT in that box (it'll probably go to C:\temp or something) and try placing the .avx file in that directory. These are the places AV looks for extensions.

8) Does the Crystal Reports problem happen exactly the same way as the other extension problems, or is it different?

Author conya spencer 
Date Aug 21, 2002 
Message I'll do my best to answer as you've asked them. I guess I should point out that I have been having problems with the following (1)coordinate grid maker, (2)xtools, and (3)crystal reports. Below are the responses to your questions.

#1 both xtools and the coordinate grid maker were unzipped and placed in the .avx files.
#2 the coordinate grid maker shows up but gives me the message the time has expired for it. I have spoken via email with Chris Felkotter who could not understand why the message would appear even after a new downloading of the extension. To save conversation on xtools after copying the .avx file into my temp folder I was able to both see it in the list of extensions in arcview (which I wasn't even able to do before) and activate it. So that problem is solved (thank you). So from here on I'll be talking about the coordinate grid maker and crystal report.
#3 coordinate grid maker information does appear in the dialog box. Should there be an extension named crystal reports. All I have is a report writer extension which I believe is different.
#4 Coordinate grid maker yes I am able to click the checkbox.
#5 Coordinate grid maker loads with an error message.
#6 These are the only extensions I have downloaded. Crystal Report was installed after the initial installation of Arcview 3.2
#7$avext does go to my directory where the extensions are filed. $userext does go to my temp file.
#8 Re: Crystal Reports I can create the report but cannot access it because I am asked to provide a password. Our administrator installed this on her system and was able to access without a password.

Your suggestions have been very helpful. Thanks.