You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcpad product discussion conference > Thread Replies

ArcPad Product Discussion conference

ArcPad 6: General forum

Using DOQ's with ArcPad   Kelley Turner Jun 21, 2004
Re: Using DOQ's with ArcPad   Michel Audet Jun 22, 2004
Re: Using DOQ's with ArcPad   Kelley Turner Jun 23, 2004
Re: Using DOQ's with ArcPad   Mark Wallace Jun 23, 2004
Re: Using DOQ's with ArcPad   Seth Swaim Jul 06, 2004
Re: Using DOQ's with ArcPad   Michel Audet Jul 06, 2004
Re: Using DOQ's with ArcPad   Seth Swaim Jul 06, 2004
Re: Using DOQ's with ArcPad   Michel Audet Jul 07, 2004
Re: Using DOQ's with ArcPad   Kelley Turner Jul 13, 2004
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Using DOQ's with ArcPad 
Author Kelley Turner 
Date Jun 21, 2004 
Message I am using ArcPad 6.0.3 on a Panasonic Toughbook handheld computer with a built in Sokkia GPS01 receiver. What I would like to do in the field is display Digital Ortho Quad (DOQ) photos on ArcPad while using the GPS for navigation. The problem I am having is that I am unable to add these photo files to ArcPad. When I navigate to the folder the files are under using ArcPad's "Add Layer" tool, they do not appear in the list of options to add.

The DOQ’s are .Tiff files that are associated with a coordinate system making them easy to use with other shapefiles in ArcGis. I read in my “Using ArcPad” manual that ArcPad supports the following raster images: JPEG, MrSID, Windows Bitmap and CADRG raster. If I am unable to use the Tiff files directly and save them as JPEG files how do I associate the appropriate coordinate system to the image so it will overlay with my other shapefiles?

Thanks in advance for any info user's may have,
kel 

Subject Re: Using DOQ's with ArcPad 
Author Michel Audet 
Date Jun 22, 2004 
Message I resolved a problem like your. My images are in TIFF and I don't have MrSid compressor.

I resolved the problem using ECW compressor to compress the TIFF to ECW. The compressor is free and the arcpad extension too. You will find both at www.ermapper.com 
  Michel Audet
VISIONAir-UAV
www.visionair-uav.ca

Author Kelley Turner 
Date Jun 23, 2004 
Message Thank you Michel, I was able to convert the TIFF file to a ECW file and view it on ArcPad! 

Author Mark Wallace 
Date Jun 23, 2004 
Message I agree, converting to ECW is the best way to go. Don't quote me on this one but I believe that Arcpad 7 will support GeoTiffs. 
  Cheers
Mark Wallace 

Author Seth Swaim 
Date Jul 06, 2004 
Message I downloaded ECW and compressed a georeferenced tiff. I noticed that the .ecw image does not line up with the tiff in ArcMap. Then I noticed in the Readme.txt in ECW that the projections in ECW are not compatible with projections in ArcGIS. Has anybody else seen this and have you found a way around? Thanks. 

Author Michel Audet 
Date Jul 06, 2004 
Message What version did you download and install? I just read the readme.txt of the version I installed here and I don't saw anything about projections.

I use ECW for 2 or 3 years and I never notice any line up problem. 
  Michel Audet
VISIONAir-UAV
www.visionair-uav.ca

Author Seth Swaim 
Date Jul 06, 2004 
Message KNOWN PROBLEMS/LIMITATIONS

1) Projection information of ECW not compilant with ESRI projections.

The text above is from the Readme from the ArcPad plugin v 1.2. I do not see the same Known Problems in the readme from ArcGIS plugin or the Compressor readme.
But like I said I ran a geotiff through and it comes up looking like it is in the wrong proj. Shifted to the NE, like in the diff. b/t NAD 27 and NAD 83. It appears "off" in both ArcMap and ArcPad. However, the rest of my data is in NAD 83 also. And the tiff was georeference in ArcGIS 8.3 using my basemap data and the ArcGIS georeferencing toolbar. Any suggestions on how to fix? 

Author Michel Audet 
Date Jul 07, 2004 
Message I never experienced this kind of problem. Maybe you can try to use the ECW compresser coming with the ArcGIS plug-in. I use this one and all my ECW stays in right place.

Michel Audet
VISIONAir-UAV
www.visionair-uav.ca

Author Kelley Turner 
Date Jul 13, 2004 
Message I wasn't aware of this when I first posted my problem with not being able to open .Tiff files in ArcPad, but ArcToolbox has a feature available to convert raster image files into MrSID compressed files. If the ECW files aren't working out for you, maybe you can try this option. To convert the Tiff file into a MrSID file follow the directions below:

1.Open ArcToolbox by clicking on Start/Programs/ArcGIS/ArcToolbox
2.In ArcToolbox open the Conversion Tools dropdown list.
3.Open the Export from Raster dropdown list
4.Double click on Raster to MrSID
5.Navigate to the raster file you would like to convert
6.Name the output raster file and specify where you would like it to be saved
7.Click OK

The MrSID file should now open easily in ArcPad and hopefully lines up with your other shapefiles.