You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcpad product discussion conference > Thread Replies

ArcPad Product Discussion conference

ArcPad 7.0: ArcPad Studio forum

OnPointerDown does not work after GPS is on   Irina Benke Jul 08, 2007
Re: OnPointerDown does not work after GPS i...   Stephen Rhodes Jul 18, 2007
Re: OnPointerDown does not work after GPS i...   Irina Benke Jul 19, 2007
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject OnPointerDown does not work after GPS is on 
Author Irina Benke 
Date Jul 08, 2007 
Message I have a very strange problem.
I have a custom toolbar with several button. One button has a custom event handler for OnPointerDown, which enables me to add points to my layer as soon as the button is depressed (similarly to the tutorial).
Somehow my event handler seems to stop working after I switch on GPS.
To test the handler I did the following.

In the event OnPointerDown I wrote the single line handler:
Console.Print "OnPointerWorked!!", apRed, apWhite

Then I switched on the console so that it shows every application event.
Before starting GPS I have the following log:

OnPointerDown
OnPointerWorked!!
OnPointerUp

(sometimes if I do not touch the screen swiftly enough there is a OnPointerMove event in between, but generally I see only these two events).

Then I switch GPS via menu. I get many OnSentence events running every time GPS sends a new line to ArcPAD, but there is no "OnPointerWorked!!" event anymore. The log looks as follows:

OnSentence
OnSentence
OnPointerDown
OnPointerUp
OnSentence

So, the handler does not work at all!!!

If I deactivate GPS, this situation remains, so I do not see any OnSentence events anymore, but only OnPointerDown and OnPointerUp, the log looks like:

OnPointerDown
OnPointerUp

Does anybody have an idea what I could do?

NB: I forgot to mention that this happens only on PDA, if I try to run my script on the desktop version of ArcPAD it works as expected, e.g. I get my event handler message in all cases, before, during and after GPS activity. 
  --
Irina Benke
Department of Geomatics
Hafencity University, Hamburg
Germany  

Subject Re: OnPointerDown does not work after GPS is on 
Author Stephen Rhodes 
Date Jul 18, 2007 
Message Hi Irina,

Have you solved your problem yet?

I am still on ArcPad 6 and cannot remember having a similar problem, but for some reason I created a TOOLBUTTON in the apa file to call the command 'GPSEnable' - maybe it would work differently to the menu enabling of the GPS.

Steve 

Subject Re: OnPointerDown does not work after GPS is on 
Author Irina Benke 
Date Jul 19, 2007 
Message Hi,

no, we contacted ESRI Support in Germany, but those had general problems with running ArcPAD on PDA with GPS (ArcPAD crashed with GPF).

So, I had to create many screenshots showing the problem and sent them to ESRI Germany. After a week of silence they replied they had sent the request to ESRI Inc. in the USA.

Basically this is just the simplest project where the problem arises. In my diploma project with ratehr sophisticated VBA-scripting I have the problem of running my scripts after switching GPS on (ArcPAD simply does not fire any events, even if they have in-line event handler without calling an a sub from VBA). Since the problem emerges solely on PDA I presume there are some problems of ArcPAD multithreading under Windows Mobile.

If you are interested, I can post the test project here, together with screenshots, so you can see it for yourself. 
  --
Irina Benke
Department of Geomatics
Hafencity University, Hamburg
Germany