You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcpad product discussion conference > Thread Replies

ArcPad Product Discussion conference

ArcPad 5: GPS forum

Supported GPS Receivers   Shane Clarke Jun 18, 2000
ArcPad GPS support at version 5.0.1   Shane Clarke Jul 07, 2000
Supported Ashtech and Magellan receivers at...   Shane Clarke Aug 20, 2000
ArcPad GPS support at version 5.0.1   Shane Clarke Aug 20, 2000
Magellan GPS support   Tim Smith Jul 18, 2001
ArcPad GPS support at version 5.0   Shane Clarke Aug 21, 2000
Ashtech Reliance RT   Amy Hafer Oct 30, 2000
Null modem adapter?   Shane Clarke Oct 30, 2000
ArcPad and Ashtech Reliance RT   Amy Hafer Dec 04, 2000
PRJ File to Enable GPS!!   Mark Pacey Dec 07, 2000
ArcPad + ipaq + Astech Relaince   AJ Thomas Feb 01, 2001
ArcPad and Magellan GPS ProMARK X-CM   Hana Rothova Mar 01, 2001
Don't know about the Magellan ProMARK X-CM   Shane Clarke Mar 01, 2001
(no subject)   Hana Rothova Mar 02, 2001
Did the ProMark work at all?   Shane Clarke Mar 02, 2001
Attachment of MAGELLAN GPS 320 to COMPAQ iP...   Jesus Esteban Tudela - IDOM company (Spain) Mar 02, 2001
Magellan 320 works with ArcPad   Shane Clarke Mar 02, 2001
arcpad and magellan330   Robin Scribailo Mar 27, 2001
Magellan 330 should work with ArcPad   Shane Clarke Mar 28, 2001
Ipaq and Garmin Etrex   Jerry Harless Mar 27, 2001
iPAQ and Etrex   Shane Clarke Mar 28, 2001
GPS's supported   Matt Eitrem May 14, 2001
GPS support at 6.0   Shane Clarke May 14, 2001
(no subject)   mohd mustafa Aug 16, 2001
ESRI Online Support Center   Shane Clarke Aug 16, 2001
Magellan Pro Mark-X   Jared Shoultz Oct 05, 2001
(no subject)   Terry Boyd Oct 08, 2001
Magellan waypoints downloads   Robin Scribailo Oct 25, 2001
Data stored in ArcPad   Shane Clarke Oct 26, 2001
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Supported GPS Receivers 
Author Shane Clarke 
Date Jun 18, 2000 
Message I would like to clarify and explain the reasons why ArcPad 5.0 currently only supports Trimble GPS receivers in the US, or more specifically, Trimble GPS receivers which output TSIP protocol. (To be precise, the support is provided via TSIP, so any GPS receiver which outputs TSIP, i.e. uses a Trimble GPS board, is supported.)

Baker GeoResearch has a patent in the US for an "Interactive automated mapping system" (5,214,757). ArcPad potentially infringes on this patent. Hence, in order for ArcPad to support GPS receivers in the US, ESRI would need to negotiate a license agreement with Baker GeoResearch. ESRI is in fact in the process of doing just this. A second option is to obtain a sublicense from a company who has already obtained a license from Baker GeoResearch. ESRI has chosen to pursue both options, i.e.

1. Negotiate a license with Baker GeoRearch, and

2. At the same time negotiate sub-licenses with licensed companies. ESRI initially obtained a sublicense from Trimble, and then subsequently a few months later obtained a sublicense with Ashtech/Magellan. ESRI is appreciative of the support and cooperation of both Trimble and Ashtech/Magellan in helping us support GPS with ArcPad.

The advantages of this approach is that we were able to release ArcPad with at least some GPS support in the US, while negotiations with Baker GeoResearch were on going.

So, why TSIP only in the US? In order to demonstrate compliance to the patent and sublicense we have to ensure that ArcPad only works with Trimble GPS receivers in the US. The only method of uniquely identifying a Trimble GPS receiver is via TSIP, hence the support for TSIP.

At ArcPad 5.0.1, additional support is provided for some of the Ashtech and Magellan GPS receiver models. Again, we will only be able to support those models which can be uniquely identified. At 5.0.1 we will also add view-only support, in the US, for any NMEA, TSIP or DeLorme Earthmate GPS receivers with ArcPad, i.e. in the US you will be able to view the GPS position and other related information, but you will not be able to automatically capture the GPS data if you are not using a Trimble (TSIP) or certain Ashtech and Magellan GPS receiver models. 

Subject ArcPad GPS support at version 5.0.1 
Author Shane Clarke 
Date Jul 07, 2000 
Message ArcPad GPS support at version 5.0.1

ArcPad's GPS support changed from version 5.0 to version 5.0.1. At version 5.0.1 the GPS support is as follows:

"In the US and US Territories, any NMEA GPS can be used for basic navigational use. ArcPad also provides full data capture capabilities for the following GPS brands:

Trimble (via TSIP protocol) Ashtech and Magellan (via NMEA protocol)"

What this means is that any GPS receiver which uses a Trimble GPS component and outputs TSIP should work for GPS data capture with ArcPad. Similarly, any GPS receiver which uses an Ashtech GPS component and outputs the "$PASHR,SAT" NMEA message should work for GPS data capture with ArcPad.

Please note that this limitation is only applicable to the US, US Territories, and within 1 degree latitude or longitude of the US or US Territories. Outside of these regions any GPS receiver which outputs NMEA or TSIP should work for GPS data capture with ArcPad. 

Subject Supported Ashtech and Magellan receivers at 5.0.1  
Author Shane Clarke 
Date Aug 20, 2000 
Message The Ashtech and Magellan GPS receivers supported at ArcPad 5.0.1 are as follows:

Outside the US

Any Ashtech and Magellan GPS receiver which outputs the NMEA 0183 (version 2.x) protocol is supported by ArcPad 5.0.1.

Within the US, US Territories, and within 1 degree of US Territories

Any Ashtech and Magellan GPS receiver which outputs the NMEA 0183 (version 2.x) protocol is supported by ArcPad 5.0.1 for displaying the GPS position on the ArcPad map.

All of the Ashtech GPS receivers are supported in the US for GPS data capture.

The following Magellan GPS receivers are supported in the US for GPS data capture.:

Meridian XL

Trailblazer XL

GPS 2000XL

GPS 3000XL

NAV 6000

SkyStar

MAP 410

GPS 315/320

ColorTrak

Subject ArcPad GPS support at version 5.0.1 
Author Shane Clarke 
Date Aug 20, 2000 
Message ArcPad GPS support at version 5.0.1

ArcPad's GPS support changed from version 5.0 to version 5.0.1. At version 5.0.1 the GPS support is as
follows:

"In the US and US Territories, any NMEA GPS can be used for basic navigational use. ArcPad also
provides full data capture capabilities for the following GPS brands:

Trimble (via TSIP protocol) Ashtech and Magellan (via NMEA protocol)"

What this means is that any GPS receiver which uses a Trimble GPS component and outputs TSIP
should work for GPS data capture with ArcPad. Similarly, any GPS receiver which uses an Ashtech GPS
component and outputs the "$PASHR,SAT" NMEA message should work for GPS data capture with
ArcPad.

Please note that this limitation is only applicable to the US, US Territories, and within 1 degree latitude or
longitude of the US or US Territories. Outside of these regions any GPS receiver which outputs NMEA or
TSIP should work for GPS data capture with ArcPad.

Subject Magellan GPS support 
Author Tim Smith 
Date Jul 18, 2001 
Message FYI I have a Magellan 330 which is fully functional in Arcpad.

Tim Smith 

Subject ArcPad GPS support at version 5.0 
Author Shane Clarke 
Date Aug 21, 2000 
Message ArcPad GPS support at version 5.0

ArcPad 5.0 supports two GPS protocols:

NMEA (National Marine Electronics Association) Version 2.0.

TSIP (Trimble Standard Interface Protocol)

ArcPad 5.0 is currently only GPS-enabled for use with TrimbleŽ GPS within the territory of the United States. Beginning one degree in latitude and longitude outside any United States' territorial border, ArcPad is GPS-enabled for all GPS receivers using a NMEA format. The Trimble GPS support is provided via TSIP.

Not all Trimble GPS receivers output TSIP, for example the GeoExplorer 2 does while the GeoExplorer 3 does not.  

Subject Ashtech Reliance RT 
Author Amy Hafer 
Date Oct 30, 2000 
Message I am trying to use ArcPad 5.0.1 on a Compaq Aero 2100 with the Ashtech Reliance RT. I was told by the Ashtech rep to use the initialization string on the ArcPad as "$PASHS,NME,SAT,C,ON". This does not work at all. The Debug option is blank. The cable I am using is the serial adapter cable from the Compaq PC to a Female DB9.

The GPS port options are set at Port 1 (I also tried Port 3 because the cable goes to Port C on the GPS receiver) and 4800 baud rate.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Amy  

Subject Null modem adapter? 
Author Shane Clarke 
Date Oct 30, 2000 
Message Have you tried using a null modem adapter? 

Subject ArcPad and Ashtech Reliance RT 
Author Amy Hafer 
Date Dec 04, 2000 
Message I finally was able to test the GPS and ArcPad using a null modem. This does not work either. The debug screen is blank.

Is there a different string or something?? 

Subject PRJ File to Enable GPS!! 
Author Mark Pacey 
Date Dec 07, 2000 
Message This is one that got me for a while and is not obvious, I must confess I did not go through the Manual cover to cover.. Be sure at least one preloaded dataset has a prj file accociated with it.. The GPS icon will be enabled when and only when a projection has been specified.. Secondly be sure your GPS is set to capture in the correct projection and Datum!! Thirdly be sure your GPS's interface is set to talk the correct format (NMEA, etc.) some have Data in and Data out of the GPS. I set my Garmin 12xl for NMEA/NMEA mode with Arcpad set the same. I did perform a warm reset on the pocket PC to ensure the port was not locked by a previous use (in most cases Autosyncing to your PC via the same port which locks the com port out from ArcPad.

Hope this all helps

Mark  

Subject ArcPad + ipaq + Astech Relaince 
Author AJ Thomas 
Date Feb 01, 2001 
Message Has anyone successfully mated ArcPad with an ipaq (Compaq)Pocket PC connected to an Ashtech Reliance 4.0 Model SCA-12S GPS Receiver (using the ipaq to 'replace' the Psion hand held unit)?? We have been unable to get a connection between the units using the '4' connection devices outlined in previous forum entries. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. 

Subject ArcPad and Magellan GPS ProMARK X-CM 
Author Hana Rothova 
Date Mar 01, 2001 
Message I would like to know whether ArcPad 5.0.1. supports GPS receiver Magellan ProMARK X-CM.
Thanx Hana 

Subject Don't know about the Magellan ProMARK X-CM 
Author Shane Clarke 
Date Mar 01, 2001 
Message The Magllan ProMark X-CM will work with ArcPad 5.0.1 for basic navigation, however I do not know whether the Magllan ProMark X-CM will work with ArcPad 5.0.1 for GPS data capture. ArcPad looks for a proprietary Magellan NMEA message to identify the receiver as a Magellan - not all Magellan receivers output this message, and we have been unable to get a list of which Magellan receivers do and which don't.

Do you have a Magllan ProMark X-CM? If "yes", then the easiest way to find out is to test it. If you do not have ArcPad then you can download a eval copy from http://www.esri.com/software/arcpad/download_arcpad.html." TARGET="_new">http://www.esri.com/software/arcpad/download_arcpad.html'>http://www.esri.com/software/arcpad/download_arcpad.html. 

Subject (no subject) 
Author Hana Rothova 
Date Mar 02, 2001 
Message Thank you for your response. We had tried to connect our Magellan with ArcPad 5.0.1 before I wrote my first message but it had not worked. Magellan ProMark X-CM outputs NMEA message, so this sould not be a problem.
Is there any tutorial on internet how to connect GPS receiver with ArcPad? I think it could help me very much. Thank you in advance for your help.
Hana 

Subject Did the ProMark work at all? 
Author Shane Clarke 
Date Mar 02, 2001 
Message Did the ProMark work at all (i.e show the GPS cursor on the map), or did it simply not work?
If it showed the GPS position on the map but did not work for data capture then it is probably not outputting the Magellan proprietary NMEA message.

If it simply did not work then it is undoubtedly a cabling and/or communications issue between the GPS and the CE device - or PC.

In terms of resources on connecting a GPS, you can look for a thread under the "ArcPad Resources" topic, and you can also look at our technical support TechNotes - see the link on the main page of this forum. 

Subject Attachment of MAGELLAN GPS 320 to COMPAQ iPAQ H3630 
Author Jesus Esteban Tudela - IDOM company (Spain) 
Date Mar 02, 2001 
Message Is it possible to really attach a MAGELLAN GPS 320 to a
iPAQ COMPAQ H3630 ?, so an ArcPad user can work in real
time with GPS collection by means of the ArcPad controls for GPSs.

We want to work with this solution, but before ordering a
MAGELLAN GPS 320 I need to be sure if is true the physical
connection between these two devices. The MAGELLAN GPS 320's
commercial documentation points out the availability of
input/output data wire to connect to PC, but also including
POCKET PCs ?.

Thank you very much to anyone can tell me something about it. 

Subject Magellan 320 works with ArcPad 
Author Shane Clarke 
Date Mar 02, 2001 
Message Yes, the Magellan 320 works fine with ArcPad - worldwide. Have a look under the "ArcPad Resources" topic for a thread on connecting a GPS - this post explains exactly what cables are needed. 

Subject arcpad and magellan330 
Author Robin Scribailo 
Date Mar 27, 2001 
Message Does the Magellan 330 work with aprcpad? What are the advantages/disadvantages of this unit over a 320 for mapping polygons etc.., and downloading data? 

Subject Magellan 330 should work with ArcPad 
Author Shane Clarke 
Date Mar 28, 2001 
Message I have not tested the Magellan 330 with ArcPad, but it should work just fine. As far as ArcPad is concerned, the 330 probably does not have any advantages over the 320, since all ArcPad is really using from the receiver is the GPS coordinate. (I have not done a feature comparison - I would suggest you do so if you have not already done so.)

Subject Ipaq and Garmin Etrex 
Author Jerry Harless 
Date Mar 27, 2001 
Message While I am waiting for my ipaq/ArcPad combo to arrive...what cabling will I need to connect my Garmin Etrex to the ipaq for use with ArcPad? Garmin offers two cables with their one-of-a-kind plug on one end and either bare wires or a DB9 serial plug on the other end.

And while we're on the subject, is there direct support for Garmin devices in the foreseeable future? Yes, I know, the Etrex is not a serious (i.e. differential) GPS, but it will get me on the right street or parcel and fits in a smaller backpack!

Thanks,

Jerry 

Subject iPAQ and Etrex 
Author Shane Clarke 
Date Mar 28, 2001 
Message What cables are needed?

You should get the DB9 serial cable forthe Etrex, plus a null modem adapter, male-to-male gender changer, and serial autosync cable for the iPAQ.

Support for Etrex?

ArcPad 6 will support any GPS receiver which outputs NMEA (Version 2.0 or higher) - including Garmin receivers. 

Subject GPS's supported 
Author Matt Eitrem 
Date May 14, 2001 
Message Will Arcpad 6.0 support all GPS recievers that output NEMA within the United States? 

Subject GPS support at 6.0 
Author Shane Clarke 
Date May 14, 2001 
Message At 6.0, ArcPad will support the NMEA protocol for GPS receivers, for both basic navigation as well as GPS data capture. Hence, any GPS receiver which outputs NMEA should work with ArcPad, worldwide - including the US. 

Subject (no subject) 
Author mohd mustafa 
Date Aug 16, 2001 
Message Iam facing a problem how to compat my Trimble Proxr reciver with Arcpad , pls guaide me how to do that hardware and software wise and what is initialization string to be used
thanks 

Subject ESRI Online Support Center 
Author Shane Clarke 
Date Aug 16, 2001 
Message The ESRI Online Support Center, at support.esri.com" TARGET="_new">http://support.esri.com">support.esri.com has documents on connecting the ProXR to ArcPad. No initialization string is required. 

Subject Magellan Pro Mark-X 
Author Jared Shoultz 
Date Oct 05, 2001 
Message Has anybody set up ArcPad with a Magellan Pro Mark-X? I checked the manual to see if it output the readings in NMEA format and the index had page 4-18 listed for this topic, but of course their is no page 4-18 in this manual(just unwrapped this extra copy). 

Subject (no subject) 
Author Terry Boyd 
Date Oct 08, 2001 
Message My manual is 1995 vintage but its says AUX 12 - NMEA output.

If this is not the location - press AUX then the down arrow until the NMEA Output screen is displayed .

Terry 

Subject Magellan waypoints downloads 
Author Robin Scribailo 
Date Oct 25, 2001 
Message There has been much discussion of how to connect a Magellan 320 or 330 for real time data capture. BUT, the problem I have not resolved is how to download waypoints to a computer after the fact. The data points are stored in my Magellan but how do I download these now into Arc View to create a map or whatever??

Robin 

Subject Data stored in ArcPad 
Author Shane Clarke 
Date Oct 26, 2001 
Message When using any GPS with ArcPad, the data captured in stored in shapefiles by ArcPad on the device/computer running ArcPad. The data is not stored on the GPS. The shapefiles created and used by ArcPad can then be used in ArcView.