You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcims product discussion conference > Thread Replies

ArcIMS Product Discussion Conference

ArcIMS: Site Starters forum

Search app not connecting   glenn hazelton Aug 10, 2001
fix for this error   glenn hazelton Aug 10, 2001
odbc failing - alternate solutions?   Danielle Hartman Aug 17, 2001
regedt32   glenn hazelton Aug 17, 2001
still having problems with Search App   Danielle Hartman Aug 24, 2001
RE: Search App not connecting...   David Wrazien Aug 27, 2001
(no subject)   Site Starters Team Sep 07, 2001
Re: still having problems with Search App   Mike McMahon Aug 14, 2002
Re: still having problems with Search App   Eric Anderson Aug 19, 2002
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Search app not connecting 
Author glenn hazelton 
Date Aug 10, 2001 
Message hi
i have the following errors when i use the Search app. i have configured the ODBC data source for both the access and dbf tables. neither works. the errors below are displayed in the ie browser window. does anyone have these running? the global.asa line 116 is trying to open the table using the database connect string. the note in the code talks about checking to see if the table exists or "there are locking issues".. what is a locking issue?

ERRORS---
WITH ACCESS database connection string:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key 'Engines'.
/USA_Search/global.asa, line 116

WITH DBF database connection stirng:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e37'
[Microsoft][ODBC dBase Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'places'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.
/USA_Search/global.asa, line 116

Subject fix for this error 
Author glenn hazelton 
Date Aug 10, 2001 
Message it seems that the data source has to granted read access.
using regedt32 go into the odbc.ini directory
find the data source name
choose "security" from the menu and add 'everyone'from the machine name domain.
do this for the 'engine'and the 'jet' subdirectories under the data source name

this fixes the problem

Subject odbc failing - alternate solutions? 
Author Danielle Hartman 
Date Aug 17, 2001 
Message I am also getting an error message with the search application page (the viewer application page is running fine). It says:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
/website/ed1/global.asa, line 116

I can't use Glenn's solution, because we don't have regedit32.exe. We only have regedit.exe which does not have the Security menu. My sysadmin says that regedit32.exe is for Windows 2000 only, and we are using Windows NT 4.

Is there another way to change these settings?

My problem may be affected by how our system is set up - we have a separate web server and spatial server (both Windows NT). The web server is running IIS, the servlet connector, and the ActiveX connector. The spatial server is running IMS Admin, Manager, and Tasker.

On the spatial server, the ODBC Administrator (from the control panel) shows ESRI Shapefile as listed under both the User DSN and the System DSN tabs. There are no ESRI drivers available to load on the web server. I did install the JET Service Pack on the spatial server.

Does the ESRI driver need to be installed on the web server? Or do I need to specify a full path somewhere in the global.asa file?

Thanks for any help in pointing me in the right direction....

Danielle 

Subject regedt32 
Author glenn hazelton 
Date Aug 17, 2001 
Message i have regedt32.exe on nt 4.0 sp 6a
do you want me to email it to you? 

Subject still having problems with Search App 
Author Danielle Hartman 
Date Aug 24, 2001 
Message I was able to change the security settings, but I am still getting the same error message on the search app page.

I've tried making new virtual directories and made sure they were set as applications, with script access.

I am getting the same error message for both the USA_Places sample page and my own schools page (using the same map service as a viewer app that is working fine). I have set up the USA_Places page to use the DSN through the control panel, as described in the samples instructions. For my schools page I used the ADO syntax for DBF files shown on page 19 of the site starter documentation. I was unable to figure out the correct syntax to make a DSN for an ESRI shapefile.

Do I need to install any drivers on the web server, or configure something differently because I am using separate web and map servers?

Thanks,
Danielle 

Subject RE: Search App not connecting... 
Author David Wrazien 
Date Aug 27, 2001 
Message Danielle,

You may want to check out the following Microsoft article to help you troubleshoot your problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q183/0/60.ASP

Note that if you use a System DSN, your global.asa's constant DATABASE_CONNECT_STRING will be "DSN=[Your System DSN]"

Also for a general discussion on DSN & DSN-less connections, please see:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q165/8/66.ASP

Cheers,
Dave 

Subject (no subject) 
Author Site Starters Team 
Date Sep 07, 2001 
Message Danielle,

Out of curiousity, are you able to run the sample search application using the access database and a system DSN?

Lee 

Subject Re: still having problems with Search App 
Author Mike McMahon 
Date Aug 14, 2002 
Message Hi Danielle,

Did you ever figure this out? I'm dealing with the exact same set of problems...

Mike

Subject Re: still having problems with Search App 
Author Eric Anderson 
Date Aug 19, 2002 
Message I am administering an ASP app based on the site starters and I too am having problems with DATABASE_CONNECT_STRING not being found. The message I'm getting now is:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.
/Nev_test3/global.asa, line 125

It's not open by anything else and I made the changes to the ODBC DSN in the Registry as suggested above but am still getting same results. The site was performing beautifully for months when this happened. Any more clues or suggestions?

Eric Anderson
GIS Programmer/Analyst
Nevada County, CA