Basics Lesson 2 self-test   Pete Earls Feb 13, 2000
Re: Lesson 2 self-test   Webdean Feb 16, 2000
Displaying 3d scenes on the screen   Gabriele Seitz Mar 28, 2000
line of sight   rule Apr 18, 2000
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • Reply    
Subject Introduction to ArcView 3D Analyst 
Author Paul Srock 
Date Aug 03, 1998 
Message I am working on Displaying Data in ArcView 3D Analyst. I have completed Lesson 1 and Lesson 2.

I was not able to do the 2nd exercise in lesson 2 because when I set the dropdown ot Grid Data Source their was nothing there.

I finished the lesson anyway. Have gone on to lesson 3 and I have the same problem.

What am I doing wrong.

Subject Answer - Dropdown of Grid Data Source error 
Author Webdean 
Date Aug 03, 1998 
Message Hello:

I was not able to recreate the problem you are having. I'm not sure where the problem exists. Let's take a look at the steps again:

Step 3 - You create a new 3D Scene (a black window appears)

Step 4a - You add a theme, and select Grid Data Source from the Data Source Types dropdown list. Terrain1 appears, and you double click it to add the theme. Nothing changes in your view. It remains black.

Step 4b - You click the check box next to terrain1 to turn it on.

Let us know where your error occurs and what exactly happens and we'll work with you to solve it.

Webdean (webdean@esri.com)

ESRI Virtual Campus

> I am working on Displaying Data in ArcView 3D

> Analyst. I have completed Lesson 1 and Lesson

> 2.

>

> I was not able to do the 2nd exercise in

> lesson 2 because when I set the dropdown ot Grid

> Data Source their was nothing there.

>

> I

> finished the lesson anyway. Have gone on to

> lesson 3 and I have the same problem.

>

> What am

> I doing wrong.

Subject Drop down Grid Data Source Error 
Author Paul Srock 
Date Aug 05, 1998 
Message If you do the exercise that uses L3_ex01.apr this is what happens.

Everything works till step 3.

I click the new button (ok)
I click the add theme button (ok)
I navigate to Disply3d\lesson03 (ok)
I set type to Grid Data Source (ok)
THEIR IS NO SBELEV GRID THEME (NOT OK)
All there is, is a folder, even if I one the folder their is no theme.

I will try down loading the lessons again.

I appreciate any help I can get.

Paul Srock

Subject (no subject) 
Author Paul Srock 
Date Aug 05, 1998 
Message It looks like reloading may have worked. 

Subject (no subject) 
Author Val 
Date Oct 21, 1998 
Message I am having the exact same problem with Lesson 3, Displaying data in ArcView 3D Analyst, as was previously mentioned. Downloading the data again has not helped.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Subject 3D Analyst 
Author Webdean 
Date Nov 20, 1998 
Message Hi Val:

Thanks for writing. The reason you cannot access the grid theme was because the folder in which you saved your data has a space in its name. To check this, go to your window explorer and navigate to the folder where you had saved the data. Make sure that the name of that folder does not contain any spaces in it. If there is a space in the name then you need to rename the folder or replace the space with an underscore. Go back to ArcView and select the folder you had just renamed. You should now be able to see the grid theme. Let me know how things turn out.

Webdean.

Subject Introduction to 3D Analyst 
Author Mike Kuhn 
Date Mar 09, 1999 
Message When trying to adjust the offset heights I get an error stating "Cannot open tin MSK file (TIN_OpenTin)". What may be some of the problems? 

Subject Re: Introduction to 3D Analyst 
Author Webdean 
Date Mar 09, 1999 
Message Hi Mike:

Thanks for writing. We're sorry you had trouble with the exercise. I have tried out the exercise, but were not able to duplicate the problem. Try renaming the Tmsk.adf file to old_Tmsk.adf. Close all existing projects and start your Windows Explorer. Navigate to the directory where you have saved the data. Double click on analyz3d folder then select lesson 01. Double click on gctin and rename the Tmsk.adf to old_Tmsk.adf. Go back to ArcView and try the exercise again.

Hope this helps. If you have other questions, please let us know.

ESRI Webdean 

Subject Error installing Arcview 3D Analyst Campus Edition 
Author Paul Hamill 
Date Jun 01, 1999 
Message I have recently completed the introductory modules and course concerning the introduction to ArcView. I decided to go on to the 3D Analyst course, and after I download the virutal campus 3D software and try to install it, I get this error message during the install. "ArcView files are missing from the Arcview GIS install directory C:\ESRI\". Can anyone help with this? I have not deleted/moved anything. Why wont the 3D version install. 

Subject Re: Installing ArcView 3D Analyst Virtual Campus Edition 
Author Webdean 
Date Jun 01, 1999 
Message Hi Paul:

Thanks for writing. Are you using the commercial copy of ArcView GIS or the ArcView GIS Virtual Campus Edition. To complete the exercises in the Introduction to ArcView 3D Analyst course, you will need both a commercial copy of ArcView GIS (not the Virtual Campus Edition) and the 3D Analyst extension installed in your machine. The downloadable extension will not work with ArcView GIS Virtual Campus Edition software.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, please let us know.

ESRI Webdean

Subject Lesson 2 problem loading project 
Author Kharyssa Rhodes 
Date Jun 01, 1999 
Message Hello!

I am trying to start the exercise: derive slope and aspect grids. When loading lesson02\L2_ex01.apr I get the following message:

Where is '...to_3D_Analyst\data3d\lesson02\terrain?'

I point the software to the folder terrain, which does exist below, and I get:

Where is '...to_3D_Analyst\data3d\lesson02\terrain\terrain?'

I then went into Explorer, created a second folder terrain under the first terrain folder and moved all the data to this new folder. I attempted again to load the project and get:

Where is '...to_3D_Analyst\data3d\lesson02\terrain?'

I point the software to the new folder and continue to get the same error message (and lots of beeping).

There are no spaces in any of my folder name; I have reloaded the data twice with the same problem. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Kharyssa 

Subject more info on my last post re: 3D An problem 
Author Kharyssa Rhodes 
Date Jun 01, 1999 
Message I just managed to get around the problem and was able to 'find terrain'. Now I get the message "Error in reading STA Table". Hit OK and I get a blank project, titled appropriately, but with blank legends, view and 3D scene.

Arg. Help! : )

-kharyssa- 

Subject Re: Lesson 2 problem 
Author Webdean 
Date Jun 02, 1999 
Message Hi Kharyssa,

Thanks for writing. The error you received usually occurs when you have a space in one of your directory in which the data was saved. We were able to duplicate the problem when we saved the data into the folder with space in its name. Try checking the names beginning from the root directory to make sure that none of the folders contain any spaces in it.

The folder in which you have saved the data may not have any spaces in it, but the folder(s) in the above level may contain space, which causes the error. If you have checked all the names and it is valid, try deleting your current data and re-downloading the data for lesson 2 again. Let us know if you still have problems opening the project files.

Hope this helps.

ESRI Webdean 

Subject fixed.... but not the way you'd suggested... 
Author Kharyssa Rhodes 
Date Jun 02, 1999 
Message Hi again!

I went back through my tree and not a single one of my folder names had a space in it. But, logically, I reasoned that if ArcView has trouble with names that carry spaces it may also not like folder names longer than 15 characters. After I renamed everything with shorter tags, the problem was fixed.

Just thought I'd let you know.... : )

-kharyssa- 

Subject solution scripts: Using Avenue with ArcView 3D Analyst Lesson 1 
Author Arlene Falkin 
Date Jun 06, 1999 
Message I've successfully downloaded the data for this module's exercises, but was unable to locate the solution scripts to the exercise called "Create your first scripts". I went to the avenue3d\lesson01 directory but did not find anything called either hello.ave or datetime.ave.

Could you suggest what I might be doing wrong or how to locate these solution scripts?

Thank you,
Arlene Falkin 

Subject Re: solution scripts 
Author Webdean 
Date Jun 08, 1999 
Message Hi Arlene,

Thanks for writing. I have tried downloading the module lesson and was able to locate the solution scripts, hello.ave and datetime.ave, in the avenue3d\lesson01 directory.

It is highly probable that the data sets, or just one of the projects, were corrupted during the download process and you need to download the data again. You should delete the current lesson data directory you are using and download the data again. If you still cannot find the solution scripts after re-downloading the data, please let us know. I can sent you the solution scripts via e-mail.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have more questions.

ESRI Webdean

Subject Troubles importing dems 
Author Mark Niessner 
Date Jul 18, 1999 
Message I have been trying to do the lesson Creating grid data (da_3d_l2.exe) and have made out fine till I try to import the helens.dem file. When I try this I get through everything ok until the actual impot begins and a meassage flashes at the bottom of the window to fast to read the whole message but it starts with reading..... Then all activity stops there is no status bar indicating it is working and no file shows in the windows temp file as it is supposed to do. Any advice?

Mark

PS I am using Arcview 3.1 and 3D analyst 1 

Subject Re: Trouble importing DEM 
Author Webdean 
Date Oct 12, 1999 
Message Hi Mark,

Thanks for writing. DEM data from the USGS does not contain record delimiters. In Windows 95 or 98 you will need to add them before using the Import utility. A DOS utility to add these delimiters, called CHOP.EXE, is available from the USGS web site at http://edcwww.cr.usgs.gov/doc/edchome/ndcdb/public.html.

Use it as follows from the DOS command prompt:

chop 1024 output.dem

You will be able to import the file called output.dem from within ArcView.

Note: It is not necessary to use the CHOP.EXE program if you are using ArcView under Windows NT.

ESRI Webdean

Subject 3D Analyst Compatability 
Author mary ruth 
Date Sep 30, 1999 
Message I have purchased the 120 day version of 3D analyst. I have a commercial version of Arcview 3.1 on my home computer.

I started my project on a computer with a comercial version of 3D Analyst at the computer lab where I'm taking GIS classes. The instructor had us use a sample extension "visibility tools" at the beginning of the project.

When I brought the uncompleted project home to work on it there I can NOT open the project.

I get the error message "Failed to initialize Vbox - Error Code 6"

and

"Library c:\ersi\av_gis\arcview\bin32\avtin.dll " "Failed to Load 1114"

In a previous assignment I had similar error messages when I tried to work with DEM's and the Spatial Analyst - again, I started the project at school with a commercial versions of Spatial Analyst and then attempted to complete the project at home with the 120 day versions. It would not work.

Have I wasted my money?

Are these 120 versions incompatable with much more than the ESRI modules?

Are they crippled versions of the real thing?

Help me out here ....

Mary Ruth

Subject Re: 3D Analyst software 
Author Webdean 
Date Oct 12, 1999 
Message Hi Mary,

Thanks for writing. Usually when this error occur, it is due to the OpenGL drivers or the video driver. Here is a document that addresses errors in using 3D Analyst.

Product: Arcview 3.x

Platform: All

Question: After installing 3d Analyst, I attempt to turn on the extension and an error is returned? -OR- I attempt to open a 3d scene and/or add data to a 3d scene and an error is returned?

Cause: System configuration

Answer: The following is a discussion and resolution for some common 3d Analyst installation errors and issues:

Arcview 3d Analyst uses OpenGL to render data in 3d. Configuration of OpenGL on a system consists of 3 components:

1) Software: Arcview with 3d Analyst
2) Software Solution: OpenGL libraries
3) Hardware Solution: Video Card and drivers

A problem with any of the above components will likely result in an unsuccessful implementation of the software utilizing OpenGL.

----

Windows Errors:

* AVTIN.dll failed to load...

Usually occurs when attempting to turn the extension on. This is usually the result of:

1) OpenGL software library incompatibility

OpenGL libraries are located in the windows/system directory and are called opengl32.dll and glu32.dll. They need to be present and a compatible version. Win95/98 platforms may have a number of versions to try- check
Microsoft, the computer manufacturer, or the video card vendor for the most recent versions. This is usually not an issue with WinNT platforms (sizes should be in the range of Opengl32.dll: 684KB, Glu32.dll: 128KB).

2) Video card drivers need to be updated

Check the video card vendor site for updated drivers and/or OpenGL updated drivers.

3) Video card drivers need to have OpenGL enabled.

Some video cards come with software that allows you to configure the card and driver. This is usually added to the display properties window. Make sure that z-buffering is enabled.

ESRI Webdean

Subject uninstalling 3D An created a problem loading projects 
Author Kharyssa Rhodes 
Date Oct 10, 1999 
Message Hi! After uninstalling 3D An using the Windows 98 uninstall feature in the control panel, I get all kinds of errors when opening old projects. Projects created long before I installed the campus 3D An sw believe that they need 3D An to run. I am getting the following errors when opening these projects:

1st error: "Where is 3D.avx?" I respond 'cancel'
-the project loads-

2nd error: While trying to view the maps a series of error boxes pop up saying "the script "3D.*" could not be found". The only choice is to answer OK.

-once these initial error boxes are gone, any subsequent attempts to edit the map (zoom, copy themes, even click on it) restarts the flood of errors-

The 3D An extension is *not* checked in the extension box for any of these old projects. Nor did I did use 3D An to edit or view them. All new projects are fine.

How can I fix this problem and regain access to my old projects?

Thanks, Kharyssa 

Subject Trouble Importing a DEM file (helens.dem) 
Author Al Tongco 
Date Oct 12, 1999 
Message I have the same trouble as Mark Niesnerr's, i.e., Importing a DEM file (Step 3, Import a DEM Exercise, Creating Data in ArcView 3D Analyst - Lesson 2).

Can anybody please help?

Al 

Subject Re: Trouble importing DEM file 
Author Webdean 
Date Oct 12, 1999 
Message Hi Al:

Thanks for writing. What platform are you using -- Windows 95/98 or Windows NT? DEM data from the USGS does not contain record delimiters. In Windows 95 or 98 you will need to add them before using the Import utility. A DOS utility to add these delimiters, called CHOP.EXE, is available from the USGS web site at http://edcwww.cr.usgs.gov/doc/edchome/ndcdb/public.html.

Use it as follows from the DOS command prompt:

chop 1024 output.dem

You will be able to import the file called output.dem from within ArcView.

Note: It is not necessary to use the CHOP.EXE program if you are using ArcView under Windows NT.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, please let us know.

ESRI Webdean

Subject (no subject) 
Author Al Tongco 
Date Oct 13, 1999 
Message Thanks. I finally found a way to have the DEM (helens.dem) displayed but not the 'normal' way, that is, opening ArcView as the first step. I had to use Find (from Start button) first to locate helens.dem. Click it to open ArcView. And then follow Lesson 2.
Al 

Subject Lesson 4 Exercise: Add a slider to a viewer 
Author Al Tongco 
Date Oct 25, 1999 
Message Re: Step 4 Examining the NewViewer project

After opening L4_ex01.apr, the "familiar controls along the top of the dialog" aren't in there. What happened to them? Can anybody help so I can proceed with my lessons smoothly?
Al 

Subject Step 6: Convert the image to a grid 
Author Al Tongco 
Date Oct 26, 1999 
Message While doing Step 6 (Display the surface of Mars - Lesson 3 Advanced Techniques in ArcView 3D analyst), a Conversion Error appears:

STOP Marsland1.bil could not be converted to grid.

What could be the problem?

Subject how to put two set of data in the same layer 
Author Christine 
Date Jan 17, 2000 
Message Hi,

I'm trying to analyst my 2 set of data (contain coordinates of x,y and z which I import from autocad as it's a dxf file).
I'm wondering if there is any way to put my data visualisation together (overlapping) so I can see the relationship between these data sets. If possible, can I make a little animation for my data, like first, it show the visualisation of 1 set of data , then the 2 data & finally overlapping each other so we can see the differences of the visualisation ?
I need to do this for my university project & I still don't know how. Please help me

Subject Basics Lesson 2 self-test 
Author Pete Earls 
Date Feb 13, 2000 
Message In contrast to the answer to the question below from the Lesson 2 self-test, I find that a TIN location is identified when a feature in a feature theme is clicked on, no matter what the order of the active themes in the TOC. I tested this with Scene 2 in l2_ex02.apr by shifting the Trees theme to the bottom in the TOC so that the Terrain Breaklines theme was in middle, then made all 3 themes active and clicked on buildings and trees.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When a TIN and a feature theme are active in a 3D scene, which is

identified by clicking on a feature?
You answered the TIN theme
The correct answer is the feature theme
Hint: Add a TIN theme and a feature theme to a 3D scene and make both

themes active. When you click on a feature, the feature theme is
always identified, regardless of whether the theme is above or below the

TIN theme in the Table of Contents. Only one theme can be identified
at a time in a 3D scene. 

Subject Re: Lesson 2 self-test 
Author Webdean 
Date Feb 16, 2000 
Message Hi Pete,

Thanks for writing. When a TIN and a feature theme are active in a 3D scene, the feature theme is identified when clicking on the feature. We have followed the steps you have taken in Scene 2, and the feature theme was selected every time we click on a feature.

The order of the themes does not make a difference. Be sure you have all three themes active not just turned on. Try going back to Scene 2, l2_ex02.apr again and repeat your steps. If you still get a different result, please let us know what steps you have taken thus far and we will troubleshoot the problem further.

Hope this helps. If there's anything else we can do, please let us know.

ESRI Webdean

Subject Displaying 3d scenes on the screen 
Author Gabriele Seitz 
Date Mar 28, 2000 
Message Hi,

I got a general problem with displaying 3d scenes on my screen. I load a theme into a 3d scene, turn it on and get it displayed. As soon as another window is opened (e.g. by identify tool or legend editor or another viewer) part of the theme does not display any more. Only the part, that overlaps with the new window, is displayed now. The only thing that I could figure out to solve the problem for the moment is to move the viewer and turn the theme off an on again. But I hope, that there are better solutions. By the way: I do not have a video card.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Gabriele 

Subject line of sight 
Author rule 
Date Apr 18, 2000 
Message I can't seem to do the line of sight analysis. I have a tin and two themes open in a view. The line of sight tool does not appear on my tool menu bar. Can anyone tell me what to do?