You are here: > ESRI Forums > mapobjects users on-line discussion forums > Thread Replies

MapObjects Users On-Line Discussion Forums

MapObjects -Windows Edition forum

How to convert WGS 84 to AGD 66   Haifeng Li Sep 26, 2000
Projecting from WGS84 to AGD66   Neil McCartin Sep 28, 2000
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject How to convert WGS 84 to AGD 66 
Author Haifeng Li 
Date Sep 26, 2000 
Message Hi,

I have collected some vehicle's position data by using GPS. As you know the default projection of GPS is WGS 84. However, my GIS data using AGD 66 (zone 55). How can I convert WGS 84 lat. long. to AGD 66 coordinate? And another import thing is How to check which projection the GIS digital map is using.

Your kind assistance will be appreciated in advance.

Haifeng 

Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Projecting from WGS84 to AGD66 
Author Neil McCartin 
Date Sep 28, 2000 
Message Haifeng,

MapObjects 2.0 will project from WGS84 to AGD66 on-the-fly. To do this you need to:

1. Create a new ProjCoordSys object, and set it's Type property to the constant moProjCS_AGD1966AMG_55.

2. Set the CoordinateSystem property of the Map object to the projected coordinate system you just created.

3. Create a new GeoCoordSys object, and set it's Type property to the constant moGeoCS_WGS1984.

4. Set the CoordinateSystem property of the MapLayer to the GeoCoordSys object you just created.

5. Create a new GeoTransformation object, set it's Type property to moGeoTransformation_AGD1966_To_WGS1984, and it's Direction property to moDirection_Reverse (to shift from WGS1984 to AGD66).

6. Set the GeoTransformation property of the MapLayer to the newly created GeoTransformation object.

Note that steps 5 and 6 are necessary because there is a datum shift between AGD1966 and WGS1984. If you don't do the datum shift, your WGS1984 features will appear to be shifted by around 115 metres from where you expect them to be.

As for determining the coordinate system for data, it's a little tricky. I suggest you read the on-line help which has a lot of useful information and techniques.

Good luck

Neil McCartin