You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Geocoding forum

Geocoding Cities with 5 digit zip   Jim Jolley Jan 11, 2006
Re: Geocoding Cities with 5 digit zip   Joe Borgione Jan 11, 2006
Re: Geocoding Cities with 5 digit zip   Jim Jolley Jan 11, 2006
Re: Geocoding Cities with 5 digit zip   Joe Borgione Jan 11, 2006
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Geocoding Cities with 5 digit zip 
Author Jim Jolley 
Date Jan 11, 2006 
Message I am trying to add a new geocode service so that cities can be geocoded by 5 digit zip. When defining the primary table reference data file, I am trying to use zip code points data supplied by ESRI for U S Cities. The reference file window can not access any of the information to define the reference file. I need some tips on finding data and defining it in a geocode service so that a table of city zip codes can be converted to points. Thanks. 

Subject Re: Geocoding Cities with 5 digit zip 
Author Joe Borgione 
Date Jan 11, 2006 
Message What format is the esri data in? Is it a shapefile or a geodatabase? Make sure you are selecting the correct locator in the list presented by the Create New Address Locator pick list. 
  Joe Borgione
AlpineGeographic  

Author Jim Jolley 
Date Jan 11, 2006 
Message It is neither a shapefile nor a geodatabase. The files are .lyr files. How do you activate the Create New Address Locator pick list? 

Author Joe Borgione 
Date Jan 11, 2006 
Message Jim-

A .lyr file points to a given feature class either as a shape file or a feature class within a personal geodatabase. Additionally, a .lyr file provides symbology as well, so if you have a something like a roads.lyr it points to the line feature class of roads (somewhere) and symbolizes them as you set them up in the .lyr.

So, again, I don't use the ESRI provided data, so I don't know what they ship; my guess is they are shape files. Where did the .lyr files come from?

You mentioned that you were trying to create a geocoding locator earlier, so I assumed you knew how. I create mine in ArcCatalog. Scroll down the left side table of contents, and click on Address Locators: then click on Create New Address Locator. From there you fill in the blanks, first selecting the type of locator you want to build, specifiy the matching feature file, etc, etc... 
  Joe Borgione
AlpineGeographic