You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Geocoding forum

georeferencing shapefiles (or vectorfiles)   pieter van turnhout Feb 10, 2010
Re: georeferencing shapefiles (or vectorfil...   Saqib Mehmood Feb 11, 2010
Re: georeferencing shapefiles (or vectorfil...   pieter van turnhout Feb 11, 2010
Re: georeferencing shapefiles (or vectorfil...   pieter van turnhout Feb 11, 2010
Re: georeferencing shapefiles (or vectorfil...   Saqib Mehmood Feb 11, 2010
Re: georeferencing shapefiles (or vectorfil...   Jim Barry Feb 12, 2010
Re: georeferencing shapefiles (or vectorfil...   pieter van turnhout Feb 12, 2010
Re: georeferencing shapefiles (or vectorfil...   Jim Barry Feb 16, 2010
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject georeferencing shapefiles (or vectorfiles) 
Author pieter van turnhout 
Date Feb 10, 2010 
Message Hi!

Does anybody knows how I have to georeference a shapefile (which I made by myself)?. It's easy to georeference a rasterfile (via the setup 'georeferencing') but it doesn't work with the shapefiles...

Can anybody help me?
thanks!
Pieter 

Subject Re: georeferencing shapefiles (or vectorfiles) 
Author Saqib Mehmood 
Date Feb 11, 2010 
Message Shapefiles do not need to be geo-reference, you just need to specify the coordinate system for your data. And the vector data residing in the shapefile will automatically use that coordinate system.

Geo-Referencing is only used for Raster data, that do not have a location (lat,lon/x,y) associated data. 
  Saqib Mehmood
saqibqureshi@gmail.com 

Date Feb 11, 2010 
Message Thank u for the quick reaction, but I got a shapefile, and I'd like it to replace it to another place... to the place of another georeferenced file.
Is it possible to replace it quickly?

thx 

Date Feb 11, 2010 
Message Or is it possible to turn a rasterfile into a shapefile? 

Author Saqib Mehmood 
Date Feb 11, 2010 
Message You cannot transfer shapefile containing data of one location to any other location. 
  Saqib Mehmood
saqibqureshi@gmail.com 

Author Jim Barry 
Date Feb 12, 2010 
Message To transform a shapefile from one coordinate system to another first requires that the shapefile have projection metadata. In other words, your shapefile has shp/shx/dbf files. Does it also have an associated *.prj file?

Date Feb 12, 2010 
Message I think I solved the problem (on my own way): I just imported the raster (of the same file as the shapefile) and I georeferenced it. Then I transformed it into a shapfile 

Author Jim Barry 
Date Feb 16, 2010 
Message >on my own way

Oh yes, that's your own way alright.

On the one hand, I can see how that does work to some very coarse degree. But I cannot imagine ever recommending that to someone as a reasonably viable solution. You will lose some degree of data accuracy following such a workflow.

If you have a shapefile that does not have a .prj file, AND you want to convert that shapefile into a different projection or coordinate system, you can use ArcCatalog and its Toolbox for doing so.

In ArcCatalog, right-click the shapefile and select "Properties". Then on the "XY Coordinate System" tab, use the "Select", "Import", or "New" buttons to assign to the shapefile a description of its projection and coordinate system. Good chance that most of the time the "Select" button is fine.

The "Project" tool allows you to create a new output shapefile that is transformed into some different projection and coordinate system.

transform.jpg (opens in new window)