ArcGIS Desktop - Geocoding forum

Utahns need a geocoder!   Roger Dunn Apr 04, 2003
Re: Utahns need a geocoder!   Jason Kadubeck Apr 11, 2003
Re: Utahns need a geocoder!   Roger Dunn Jun 26, 2003
Re: Utahns need a geocoder!   Jason Kadubeck Apr 18, 2003
Re: Utahns need a geocoder!   Roger Dunn Jun 26, 2003
Re: Utahns need a geocoder!   Roger Dunn Jul 01, 2003
Re: Utahns need a geocoder!   Roger Dunn Jul 07, 2003
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Utahns need a geocoder! 
Author Roger Dunn 
Date Apr 04, 2003 
Message Utah governments really need a way to geocode addresses. I'm a programmer for a local city government and would love to give it a try. My algorithm and test case is basically this:

Address: 1280 N 1480 W

Algorithm: The geocoder looks for the following addresses, using ESRI's engine, in this order:
1280 N 1480 WEST STREET
1480 W 1280 NORTH STREET
Then it looks for this intersection if it still hasn't geocoded with a good score:
1280 NORTH STREET & 1480 WEST STREET

We have so much data we could be mapping if we had a really good geocoder. But previous related ArcObjects posts have been unanswered.

I need to make my own geocoding style. The manuals say that styles are LocatorStyle coclasses, but ArcCatalog is looking at .lot files in the Locators directory. How does the ESRIFDOAddressLocatorStyle class relate to those .lot files?

In a related topic, I would like to partially subclass, or make a semi-aggregated COM class, that "inherits" from the ESRIFDOAddressLocator coclass. How do I do that?

I've read the Finding Locations chapter 15 of Exploring ArcObjects and have had no help in trying to derive a new geocoding service for Utah addresses, but one that builds on previous technology already written by ESRI. 
  GIS Programmer, Administrator, Coordinator, and Trainer
City of Orem, Utah, USA
http://gis.orem.org 

Subject Re: Utahns need a geocoder! 
Author Jason Kadubeck 
Date Apr 11, 2003 
Message Can you post a sample of the street data? I would just like to see how the street information is attributed in the table.

-Jason 

Author Roger Dunn 
Date Jun 26, 2003 
Message Rather than post a sample, I'll just tell you. The STREETNAM field contains things like:
STATE, UNIVERSITY, COURTESY, 400 NORTH, 800 EAST.

The STREETTYP field for the above streets contains:
STREET, PKWY, WAY, STREET, STREET

The address ranges are like any other shapefile, except that sometimes there is an overlap. Two lines, for example, will both end at 400 on the right side at an intersection. The SUFDIR field is completely empty. 
City of Orem, Utah, USA

Author Jason Kadubeck 
Date Apr 18, 2003 
Message Roger,

I was looking through some old information as it pertained to ArcView 3, and I found a Utah pattern file that may work for you. Send me an email at jason_kadubeck@yahoo.com and I will reply with some instructions on how to implement the pattern file.

Jason 

Author Roger Dunn 
Date Jun 26, 2003 
Message ArcView 3 is good, but I would really like to see a custom coded ArcObjects 8 geocoder. Could anybody show me a custom geocoder, like for European centerlines? I've read the FindingLocations.pdf so many times and it still leaves many questions unanswered.

For instance, through what interface are .loc and .lot files persisted? I've noticed if you delete (or rename) a .lot file in the Locators folder, the Create New Geocoding Service dialog in ArcCatalog leaves it out (or renames it) as well.

The class diagram doesn't link geocoding styles with geocoders very strongly, yet its the style you choose that determines the algorithm, UI, and feature attributes you'll need to use that data.

I wish I knew how the locators that came with ArcGIS follow the model so I could follow it like it was intended. So, has anybody, like in a foreign country, been able to define their own geocoder? I wouldn't need the code, I guess, but some help along the way. 
City of Orem, Utah, USA

Author Roger Dunn 
Date Jul 01, 2003 
Message I received the zip you sent me. It contained a pattern file. How do I use a pattern file? I've looked through ArcView 3 help and can't find a resource. When I change the type of Geocoder my file is, I can only select what I could before: US Streets. 
City of Orem, Utah, USA

Author Roger Dunn 
Date Jul 07, 2003 
Message I've done a lot of research about COM in Delphi and the ArcObjects material concerning geocoding. Here's the main point I'm missing:

If ILocatorWorkspace is in charge of creating a locator object from a locatorstyle (COM-cast into an ILocator), how am I going to get my custom LocatorStyle object to create a custom Locator object? All I know is that I will use COM containment to implement the solution, but I'm really missing the link.

It's my belief that the .lot files are created on a call to ILocatorWorkspace.AddLocatorStyle(Name, Style, ILocatorStyle). Fine. But when a user creates a locator from my style, how am I going to specify my new style's algorithm for matching addresses? Matching addresses is a method clear over in the locator object interfaces, not over in the locator style object interfaces.

All I know is that I am going to contain an ESRIFDOAddressLocator coclass to do most of the work, but I need to know WHEN to create it. What method or interface do I take care of so that when a user creates a locator using my style, I create the locator and the locator uses my custom algorithm?

Does my question even make sense? If it doesn't, it's because the model is confusing right now for me.

P.S. Page 1 of FindingLocations.pdf says "The locator framework provides a framework for creating custom locators. Developers can extend this framework to create their own types of locators. Custom locators might create geometry for localized or custom descriptions of locations, use specialized algorithms for matching location descriptions to reference data, use custom rules for standardizing and matching location descriptions, or use different types of reference data." But the pdf doesn't explain how this is to be done at all! 
City of Orem, Utah, USA