Re: ArcGIS 9 installation problems   Juan Ramos Jul 14, 2004
Re: ArcGIS 9 installation problems   Sarah AcMoody Jul 14, 2004
Re: ArcGIS 9 installation problems   Laurene Koman Jul 15, 2004
HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please.   Laurene Koman Jul 16, 2004
Re: HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please.   Laurene Koman Jul 16, 2004
Re: HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please.   chip justis Aug 12, 2004
Re: HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please.   chip justis Aug 12, 2004
Re: HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please.   Laurene Koman Aug 12, 2004
Re: HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please.   Ahmed Wagih Abdel-Latif Azab Sep 21, 2004
Re: HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please.   Laurene Koman Sep 21, 2004
Re: HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please.   Tobi Yarbrough Sep 25, 2004
Re: HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please.   Laurene Koman Aug 12, 2004
Re: HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please.   Brent Brock Sep 10, 2004
Re: HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please.   Lled Smith Oct 26, 2004
Re: HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please.   Laurene Koman Oct 26, 2004
Re: HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please.   Alison Boutin Nov 04, 2004
Re: HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please.   Dirk Rieke-Zapp Dec 22, 2004
Re: Done   Dirk Rieke-Zapp Dec 22, 2004
Re: Done   Dirk Rieke-Zapp Dec 22, 2004
Re: HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please.   Bright Twumasi Aug 11, 2007
Re: ArcGIS 9 installation problems   Nathan Jennings Mar 18, 2005
Re: ArcGIS 9 installation problems   Juergen Praher Nov 30, 2004
Re: ArcGIS 9 installation problems   Bright Twumasi Aug 11, 2007
Re: ArcGIS 9 installation problems   Laurene Koman Sep 05, 2007
Re: ArcGIS 9 installation problems   Alisa Wade Sep 25, 2007
Re: ArcGIS 9 installation problems   Laurene Koman Sep 26, 2007
Re: ArcGIS 9 installation problems   Alisa Wade Sep 26, 2007
Re: ArcGIS 9 installation problems   Laurene Koman Sep 26, 2007
Re: ArcGIS 9 installation problems   Leona Svancara Jan 02, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject ArcGIS 9 installation problems 
Author Sean Grimland 
Date Jun 05, 2004 
Message Hello all,

I have spent a day and a half trying to install
version 9 and it won't work. I get to the registering
modules part of the installation and on rdo.dll the
installation just stops. The computer doesn't freeze
up but the installation won't continue. I searched
esri.com and found article 26817 that refers to this
file, rdo.dll but the solution doesn't apply to me, I
don't get the error message and I can't continue the
installation as the article's workaround suggests.
Also, when I look into the registry the Raster folder
doesn't exist which is also mentioned in the article.
The article states that the problem arises from an
entry pointing to a previous version's installation.
I have done everything short of wiping the hard drive
to clean the registry, using 3 different registry
cleaning programs. I have unistalled ArcPad and
ArcView 3.2 in case one of them was the problem. Any
ideas out there?

System: Widows 2000 with all current updates

Very frustrated,
Sean Grimland 

Subject Re: ArcGIS 9 installation problems 
Author Laurene Koman 
Date Jun 18, 2004 
Message do you or have you had any ERDAS/Leica products installed?
Thanks. 

Subject SUM ArcGIS 9 installation problems 
Author Sean Grimland 
Date Jun 18, 2004 
Message After talking with ESRI and trying everything they suggested, I fell on my sword and reinstalled Windows. After that ArcGIS 9 installed nicely.

Subject Re: SUM ArcGIS 9 installation problems 
Author Laurene Koman 
Date Jun 21, 2004 
Message I'm sorry you had to go through that. I was hoping we could troubleshoot and get to the bottom of it.

Did you have any ERDAS or Leica products installed, though?

Thanks
Laurene Koman
ArcGIS Install Team 

Author Paul Long 
Date Jul 08, 2004 
Message Add me to the list of people getting the rdo.dll error. I, too, do not have any "Raster" entry in the registry. I have no references to rdo.dll, or to any raster directory in the registry. I have only 1 copy of the rdo.dll file on the system, and that is in the correct place.

The only ESRI products I have, or had, on the machine were ArcGIS 8.3 (now uninstalled and all old ArcGIS directories deleted) and Arcview 3.3 (still installed).

I have no intention of re-installing Windows, on this machine or the 5 others which I need to install ArcGIS 9 on. So, hopefully ESRI will find the problem(s) with the installation soon.

OS is Windows XP. 

Author Laurene Koman 
Date Jul 08, 2004 
Message Paul,

I'd like to work with you on this. We have not been able to reproduce rdo.dll failing registration in house, so please bear with our attempts to resolve this remotely.

When the installation stops and the dialog is displayed showing the rdo.dll fails, pls keep the setup running (albeit stalled) and try to manually register rdo.dll (using RegSvr32) from C:\program files\common files\esri\raster\bin\ntx86. Is it successful?

If not, do you have Dependency Walker? If you do, please drag rdo.dll into Dependency Walker and see if it notes any missing dependencies.

Thanks. 

Author Paul Long 
Date Jul 08, 2004 
Message Laurene,

No, it does not register manually. In fact, nothing happens; no msg window saying it was successful, or not found or unsuccessful. Just nothing. Yes, regsvr32 is working. Just not with rdo.dll.

I downloaded Dependancy Walker. I don't know how to use it, but after dropping rdo.dll on it, it gives me a warning of "At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module." The MPR.dll file is colored red, so I'm assuming that has someting to do with it?

Paul 

Author Laurene Koman 
Date Jul 08, 2004 
Message Thanks, Paul.

While in dependency walker, you can save the dwi file - File > Save. Please email it to me.

lkoman@esri.com

thanks. 

Author Juan Ramos 
Date Jul 08, 2004 
Message I have the same problem, but the file that gets my system to just sit there and nothing happens is RasterSDE8x.dll. I have installed the Arcinfo Workstation and that works with no problems but the Desktop doesn't.

Juan

Note: I attached the screen capture of the problem. 
  Doc1_hangup.doc (opens in new window)

Author Laurene Koman 
Date Jul 08, 2004 
Message Paul,

I'm told that no message could mean that the file has successfully registered. Pls search the registry CLSID for rdo.dll - to see if it is registered. 

Author Paul Long 
Date Jul 08, 2004 
Message Laurene,

The file is on it's way. I checked before and after the manual registration, but there is nothing in there for rdo.dll.

Paul 

Author Brett Forbes 
Date Jul 09, 2004 
Message We had the same issues with the rdo.dll file. We did not have ant Leica or ERDAS software installed and we did not have the keys in the registry as shown in the ESRI workaround. We had completely uninstalled anything ESRI and deleted all remaining folders but the install still failed. What did allow us to get a working install was to manually search through the registry and delete anything related to arcexe83. There was quite a number of them scattered through the registry, it wasn't pretty, I don't know if all entries needed to be deleted but we weren't about to check after each one. Once we did this the install went just fine. 

Author Megan Goddard 
Date Jul 12, 2004 
Message I am also having the same problem. I have followed the instructions outlined in tech article 26871, but I cannot find Rater\Environment. I uninstalled all ERDAS products and tried reinstalling ArcGIS 9, and when I did this, I could finally open ArcGIS, but I could not view rasters (this is after 3 days of trying to install ArcGIS 9). After reading all the postings about this problem, I am really still not sure how to fix it. Is there a solution to this problem yet? Thanks,

Megan

Author Ric Skinner 
Date Jul 14, 2004 
Message Same problem here trying to install on Dell Precision 530. Two other Dells had install proceed ok. No ERDAS or Leica software. Awhile back I had to uninstall ArcGIS 8.3 and then tried to re-install but kept getting error that previous version was installed and had to be removed. Never got 8.3 reinstalled, so waited for 9.0. Don't get previous version error message but system stalls at rdo.dll. Left PC running over night and next morning the window still said '4 minutes remaining.' What's the solution????? 

Author Laurene Koman 
Date Jul 14, 2004 
Message Ric,

Believe me, this issue is driving us crazy, too. We have not been able to repro it on any machine here at ESRI - we're trying to troubleshoot in the dark.

The following will help us troubleshoot - if your setup is "hanging" while RDO is attempting to register.

1. Give us the Windows Installer information from your Event Viewer.

2. Go to Task Manager and End the RegSvr32 process.

3. While the setup is still up, go to the rdo installation location c:\program files\common files\esri\raster\ntx86\bin and try to manually register rdo.dll. (do not register silently) If you get a failure, please send us a screenshot of the failure dialog.

You may email me these results directly to
lkoman@esri.com

thanks,
Laurene Koman
ArcGIS Install Team 

Author Megan Goddard 
Date Jul 14, 2004 
Message Laurene,

Is this the same problem I am having? I am getting a little frustrated because no one seems to know what to do. I'd really appreciate some help. I am a graduate student, and although we do have ESRI tech support at our University, I cannot call directly, our representive here has to call. Here is a summary of my problem:

I uninstalled ArcGIS 8. I installed ArcGIS 9. I got the error message that says the rdo.dll file can't register.

I ignored the error and followed the directions in
ESRI's Tech artical 26817. The directions ask the
user to find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ESRI\Raster|Environments hive, which on my machine doesn't exist. I followed the rest of the directions. ArcGIS 9 still didn't work.

SO, I uninstalled all ERDAS products and Image
Analyst. ArcGIS 9 would open, but now cannot read any rasters.

Thanks so much,

Megan

Author Juan Ramos 
Date Jul 14, 2004 
Message To Everyone.

This is what I had to do, to be able to view my raster images.

Run Regedit, in the edit menu use find, find rdo.dll, then modify and change the path to: c:\Program Files\Common Files\ESRI\Raster\Bin\Ntx86 there will be about 18 incidents of it having the wrong directory, then once you are finish change directories to the above directory and manually register the rdo.dll module, this worked for me. 

Author Sarah AcMoody 
Date Jul 14, 2004 

I installed 9.0 and had the same problem displaying my rasters. I did find though that Juan's method was the fix.

We think the problem is due to the incomplete uninstall of ArcGIS 8.3 which forced us to run a manual uninstall. Consequently, there were still pointers to the old location of rdo.dll.

If you follow Juan's instructions and go through your registry form, change all of those pointers to the new location and then run the regsvr32 command in the command prompt.....your rasters should be good to go.

Thanks a lot Juan. Also, Laurene, thanks for all of your help. 

Author Laurene Koman 
Date Jul 15, 2004 
Message If anyone has a machine where rdo is hanging during registration in 9.0 setup or rdo fails during setup or manual registration - please try the following:

Create a text file and save it as a filename.cmd file - with the following lines:

@echo Registering files...

@for %%f in (*.dll) do start /wait regsvr32 /s "%%f"
@for %%f in (*.OCX) do start /wait regsvr32 /s "%%f"

Save or copy this .cmd file to your system32 folder and run it (double click) from that location. This will attempt to register all dll and ocx files in your system folder.

When this is finished, try manually registering rdo (if your ArcGIS is installed, or run through the ArcGIS setup if you are not currently installed)

Please post your results.

thanks,
Laurene

Subject HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please. 
Author Laurene Koman 
Date Jul 16, 2004 
Message If you have a system where RDO is failing or hanging the setup during registration, do the following.

the attached zip file contains a troubleshooting utility called RDOInfo.exe. Run this exe on your machine to analyze if multiple rdo.dll files exist.

Running the tool will create an RDOInfo.txt results file in the root of your c:\ drive.

Please send me this log file to analyze.

Thanks.
Laurene Koman
lkoman@esri.com 
  RDOinfo.zip (opens in new window)

Subject Re: HELP troubleshoot RDO issues, please. 
Author Laurene Koman 
Date Jul 16, 2004 
Message After some intense troubleshooting, we finally were able to successfully register RDO.dll on a machine where it was failing without reinstalling the OS or massive registry edits.

First, if you had previously uninstalled 8.3, make sure your 8.3 installation location (c:\arcgis\*.*) is deleted.

Then do the following:

The attached zip file contains the reg hive for raster. Save it locally, extract the .reg file, double click it and then manually register rdo from the c:\program files\common files\esri\raster\bin\ntx86 location.

Please email me your status after doing these steps.

Thanks
Laurene Koman
lkoman@esri.com
ArcGIS Install team

RasterReg.zip (opens in new window)

Author chip justis 
Date Aug 12, 2004 
Message ArcDesktop9 install hangs @ RDO.DLL

ArcGIS Desktop 9.0 install hangs when registering RDO.DLL
I have 3 Windows 2000 Servers running Citrix and ArcGIS 8.3 Desktop & Workstation.
HISTORY:
1) Original ArcGIS Desktop 9.0 install succeeded on all 3 servers and apps worked, but w/ no rasters.
2) I did the "register the rdo.dll" on 2 of the three and that fixed them, but there was no HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ESRI\Raster\Environments hive on the 3rd machine.
3) On the 3rd machine, I uninstalled all ArcGIS-9 apps & reinstalled Desktop-9. It hangs @ registering rdo.dll (forever). Cancel clicks then hangs also.
4) I did numerous iterations of install/uninstall all ending w/ same rdo.dll hang. No relevant info in logs.
5) I removed all ESRI dirs …same rdo hang.
6) I purged all references to rdo.dll, ESRI & Arc from the registry…same rdo hang.
7) I tried 8.3 setup /cleanup…same rdo hang.
8) I just spoke with Kevin on incident #379688. He suggested I register atl.dll…same rdo hang.
9) … Then If that doesn’t work, reload Win2k SP4…same rdo hang.
10) I went back and reregistered rdo.dll…same rdo hang.
11) I ran Dependency Walker on rdo.dll. It’s looking for “apphelp.dll” which I understand to be a WinXP only file?!?!?, and also looking for “mpr.dll”. (screen attached)
12) I loaded your RasterReg and re-registered rdo.dll…same rdo hang.
13) I left it sit on registering rdo.dll and went to lunch for 2 hours, then came back…same rdo hang.

DepWlkrScrn.doc (opens in new window)

Author chip justis 
Date Aug 12, 2004 
Message Thanks to Laurene’s RDOinfo, I determined the problem was an incorrect system drive letter. I use M: as a system drive in Citrix instead of C: (so it won’t confuse the users). It had been set back to C: in the registry.

That wasn’t the only problem, but it was the final one. I guess the others had been fixed along the way.

Thanks Laurene!
Chip

Author Laurene Koman 
Date Aug 12, 2004 
Message attached is a zip file containing that RDOInfo.exe written by one of our install programmers- extract the exe, save it locally and run it - it will create an RDOInfo.txt file at the root of your C: drive - the info in the diagnostic file may help solve your issue.

You can always email me the .txt file for analysis.

thanks
Laurene
ArcGIS Installation Team 
  rdoInfo.zip (opens in new window)

Author Ahmed Wagih Abdel-Latif Azab 
Date Sep 21, 2004 
Message Thanks a lot Laurene! I spent about 4 hours trying to clean my registry from previous installations, and used RegClean, manually changed all pointers, manually deleted all traces of ArcGIS 9, then I checked your response here, and used the raster.reg, and it worked and I can see the raster layers. I am using a 4GB DELL Preceision Workstation with dual Xeon processors, running Win XP Pro SP1, I have ERDAS Imagine 8.7 installed on the same machine. The RDOInfo gave me a long text file with the last line as follows:

HKLM\Software\ESRI\Raster\Environment\IMAGINE_HOME reg value is =
NOTFOUND

That's when I downloaded the REG file which solved the problem.

Best Regards,

Ahmed Wagih 
  Dr. A. Latif
GIS/RS Consultant 

Author Laurene Koman 
Date Sep 21, 2004 
Message You're welcome, I'm glad all is well now.

Laurene 

Author Tobi Yarbrough 
Date Sep 25, 2004 
Message Thanks. The raster.reg fixed my problem. $10,000 worth of software (that's just my seat) shouldn't have this problem. SP1 should have fixed this. If not that, ESRI should have issued an obvious fix for it. :-( Well, there goes my day....... 

Author Laurene Koman 
Date Aug 12, 2004 
Message Note: If you use the .reg file (I posted the zip file at an earlier time) to create the raster keys - note that the reg keys are created as if your common files folder is located at

c:\program files\common files....

if your common files (and as such, raster/rdo gets installed to a different drive) - you'll need to edit the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI\Raster environment keys to change the drive designation. 

Author Brent Brock 
Date Sep 10, 2004 
Message Might I suggest that someone update the knowledgebase article ( http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=26817 ) regarding this problem? I just wasted an afternoon trying to figure out why the procedure in this KB didn't work only to find that a REAL solution was posted almost two months ago! 
  --------------------------------
Brent L. Brock
Landscape Ecologist
Craighead Environmental Research Institute
bbrock@craigheadresearch.org 

Author Lled Smith 
Date Oct 26, 2004 
Message Thank You Laurene!!!! 

Author Laurene Koman 
Date Oct 26, 2004 
Message You're welcome - but for what?

Author Alison Boutin 
Date Nov 04, 2004 
Message I am thankful these threads are here to recieve specific help to specific problems, however I too have spent 2 days on the problem, and now many hours on the research to find the answer tucked away in a June Discussion thread.

Thank you Laurene Koman for your continued updates and explainations with such detailed matter.

Sincerely,

Alison Boutin
University of Massachusetts 

Author Dirk Rieke-Zapp 
Date Dec 22, 2004 
Message Similar problems, verything works after ArcGIS 9 and LPS 8.7 install besides raster (neither in ArcCatalog nor in ArcMap). I did loaded the raster.reg -> worked fine. regsvr32 on the rdo.dll did always fail from the run windows. Using the command window navigating to the location of rdo.dll and trying to register it might have worked -> no feedback in the prompt, but still no ratser support. I tried the rdoinfo, emptied the recycle bin because some ArcGIS 8.3 pointer was pointing there. Now things look OK besides the last entry

C:\Program Files\Common Files\ESRI\Raster

The directory does not exist, on my machine it should be someting like:
C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\ESRI\Raster\

I will try installing service pack 2 again, maybe the rdo.dll probelm was solved by removing the pointer otherwise HELP...

Subject Re: Done 
Author Dirk Rieke-Zapp 
Date Dec 22, 2004 
Message OK, I did it after re-reading some posts again

May I also suggest that someone updates the knowledgebase regarding your comment about the suggested path. I think missing this information cost me half a day.

Subject Re: Done 
Author Dirk Rieke-Zapp 
Date Dec 22, 2004 
Message Let me add that fixing the rdo.dll messes up any LPS/ERDAS installation. If you installed ArcGIS and LPS/ERDAS correctly you only need to uninstall LPS and ERDAS service packs, resinstall ArcGIS service pack2 and now reinstall LPS and ERDAS service packs.

My comment to this would be rated triple X. 

Author Bright Twumasi 
Date Aug 11, 2007 
Message Hello, I have tried all the suggestions posted on the RDO problem. I have updated my registry with the Raster.reg file. I have also run RDOInfo and the results are attached. Can you help?

Thanks

Bright

Author Nathan Jennings 
Date Mar 18, 2005 
Message I have been having problems with the Spatial Analyst having problems when I have the Image Analyst (beta version for ArcGIS 9) installed. The problems I am getting is that many (all) of the functions in Spatial Analyst do not work and I cannot create a GRID file, since this format is not even present on my system. I was told that there was fix on the ESRI site, but I can't seem to find it. I was also told that part of the solution was to unistall both Image Analyst and ArcGIS9, then Reinstall ArcGIS 9 and not install Image Analyst.

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated. I also have an incident # out for this problem as well and have informed Leica Geosystems about the problem.

Running ArcEdit SP2 on Windows XP.

Thanks,
Nate 
  Nathan Jennings
Sr. GIS Analyst
City of Sacramento 

Author Juergen Praher 
Date Nov 30, 2004 
Message Thanks a lot for the hints concerning the rdo.dll problem. In my case I ran ERDAS 8.7 and wanted to install AV9 - therefore I had to completely uninstall AV8.3 (inkluding manually removal) and ERDAS Imagine.
For installing refer to the geosystem support:
Installation and Compatibility for Raster access
1. Install ArcGIS 9
2. Install IMAGINE 8.7
3. Install LPS 8.7

Now, it works!
Jürgen

Author Bright Twumasi 
Date Aug 11, 2007 
Message Hello, I have tried all the suggestions posted on the RDO problem. I have updated my registry with the Raster.reg file. I have also run RDOInfo and the results are attached. Can you help?

Thanks

Bright

3.5.2284.0, 08/04/2004 5:00:00, C:\i386\atl.dll
3.0.9238.0, 08/04/2004 5:00:00, C:\i386\ASMS\6000\MSFT\VCRTL\ATL.DLL
3.5.2284.0, 08/04/2004 5:00:00, C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
3.0.9238.0, 08/04/2004 5:00:00, C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Tools.VisualCPlusPlus.Runtime-Libraries_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.0.0_x-ww_ff9986d7\atl.dll
3.0.9238.0, 01/19/2007 21:15:24, C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Tools.VisualCPlusPlus.Runtime-Libraries_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9792.0_x-ww_08a6620a\atl.dll
3.5.2284.0, 08/04/2004 5:00:00, C:\i386\atl.dll
3.0.9238.0, 08/04/2004 5:00:00, C:\i386\ASMS\6000\MSFT\VCRTL\ATL.DLL
3.5.2284.0, 08/04/2004 5:00:00, C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
3.0.9238.0, 08/04/2004 5:00:00, C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Tools.VisualCPlusPlus.Runtime-Libraries_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.0.0_x-ww_ff9986d7\atl.dll
3.0.9238.0, 01/19/2007 21:15:24, C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Tools.VisualCPlusPlus.Runtime-Libraries_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9792.0_x-ww_08a6620a\atl.dll
8.9.0.0, 09/29/2006 10:46:40, C:\Program Files\Common Files\ESRI\Raster\bin\ntx86\rdo.dll
, ,
, ,

Author Laurene Koman 
Date Sep 05, 2007 
Message IMPORTANT -

do not run raster.reg to troubleshoot ArcGIS 9.2 issues - this raster registry file is not compatible with ArcGIS 9.2

Thanks
Laurene Koman
ArcGIS Installation Team 

Author Alisa Wade 
Date Sep 25, 2007 
Message I'm now having the same problem with my 9.2 install. 9.2 has been working fine for the past 3 months, but suddenly started bombing out when I was running a buildvat command - will now only bomb out whenever I open it. During a repair installation, it gets hung up on the rdo.dll and freezes.

Can you provide info. on how to fix for 9.2? I did a manual registration regsrvr32 "c:\program files\common files\esri\raster\bin\ntx86\rdo.dll" and it registered successfully. Installation remained hung up. I canceled installation and restarted the computer and tried the installation again. Still gets hung up on rdo.dll

Thanks,
Alisa 

Author Laurene Koman 
Date Sep 26, 2007 
Message If you are current on maintenance then please fill out the following form

http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=homepage.requestSupport.gateway

The Install Team will work with you to help resolve this issue. We have not been able to reproduce this issue in-house.

Please let the support analyst know what the install team would like to work with you directly.

FYI - I just spoke with Tech Support, please call whether you are on maintenance or not - we'd like to troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks
Laurene Koman
ArcGIS Installation Team 

Author Alisa Wade 
Date Sep 26, 2007 
Message Unfortunately, I am a grad student working on a site license, so I can't call in to support.
Fortunately, I've fixed the problem myself.

For others, here's what I did:
- Restore to restore point prior to the crash.
- Uninstall ArcGIS
- Backed up my entire registry
- Run RegSeeker registry clean Auto Clean, NOT including CLSID (and certainly not the experimental option)- made sure back up before deletion button was checked! (not sure this has anything to do with it, but it's nice to do if you're in RegSeeker anyway)
- Did a manual registration of rdo.dll
- Ran RegSeeker registry clean with only CLSID checked. Hit the OK! button, NOT the Auto Clean
- Removed and saved, one by one, each rdo.dll, assigning each backup the name rdo1, rdo2, etc.
- Restored each rdo.dll backup one at a time, checking to see if ArcGIS would now install without hanging up.
- Once I identified the actual rdo.dll CLSID that mattered (actually, two had to be kept in the registry, I removed all the others (backed them up!)), did one more manual registration of rdo.dll for fun, and finished the install.
-Voila, it worked. Took most of the night given that I had 24 instances of rdo.dll in my CLSID, but it worked.

Hopes this helps others.
Cheerio,
Alisa Wade
Colorado State University 

Author Laurene Koman 
Date Sep 26, 2007 
Message Please provide more information -

where were all of these rdo.dlls located on disk?

Removed and saved, one by one, each rdo.dll, assigning each backup the name rdo1, rdo2, etc.

also - can you provide the information on the CLSID entries - you removed and kept?

any information you can provide that will help us solve this would be appreciated.

what previous ArcGIS installations were on this machine? Any Erdas or Leica products installed or previously installed?

Thanks
Laurene 

Author Leona Svancara 
Date Jan 02, 2008 
Message Hi there. I've suddenly started having installation problems with ArcMap. I have been running 9.2 on Windows XP without problems. I recently installed fragstats and now, ArcMap won't open at all and gives the error message "instruction at "0x005921b2" referenced memory at "0x0000001c" The memory could not be read". Workstation and ArcCatalog continue to work fine. I've uninstalled fragstats, since that seems to have been the culprit (even though both applications worked fine on a previous installation). I've tried reinstalling arc, cleaned the registry, and followed suggestions given above all to no avail. When I reinstall Arc, all of the raster-related .dlls (15 of them) fail. I can register them manually, but then get the error mentioned above.

Next up is a total reinstall of windows... which I really despise doing... any suggestions???