You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Installation, Releases, Licensing forum

Can't launch ArcMap disconnected from netwo...   Susan Radke-Sproull Aug 18, 2005
Re: Can't launch ArcMap disconnected from n...   Stephen Lead Aug 19, 2005
Re: Can't launch ArcMap disconnected from n...   Laurene Koman Aug 19, 2005
Re: Can't launch ArcMap disconnected from n...   Susan Radke-Sproull Aug 19, 2005
Re: Can't launch ArcMap disconnected from n...   Stephen Lead Aug 19, 2005
Re: Can't launch ArcMap disconnected from n...   Laurene Koman Aug 19, 2005
Re: Can't launch ArcMap disconnected from n...   Susan Radke-Sproull Aug 19, 2005
Re: Can't launch ArcMap disconnected from n...   Stephen Lead Aug 20, 2005
Re: Can't launch ArcMap disconnected from n...   Susan Radke-Sproull Aug 20, 2005
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Can't launch ArcMap disconnected from network? 
Author Susan Radke-Sproull 
Date Aug 18, 2005 
Message I've read all the related posts I can find, but I don't think they answer my issue. I'm using Windows XP with the latest service pack. I have ArcView 9.0 with the latest service pack: ArcGIS Service Pack: 3 (build 9.0.0.580). ArcMap will launch fine when I'm connected to my network, but I cannot launch ArcMap when I'm disconnected: splash screen, then an offer to send a message to Microsoft. I thought it was a licensing issue, but ESRI support said it had to do with network issues. I'm sure they would have been useful, but I didn't have my laptop at the time they called and I thought I could figure it out. I obtain my IP and DNS addresses automatically, so when I'm not connected and I do an ipconfig, it shows no IP address. I'm sure this is a simple system config issue if someone could just get me started. 

Subject Re: Can't launch ArcMap disconnected from network? 
Author Stephen Lead 
Date Aug 19, 2005 
Message Hi Susan,

This type of thing is difficult to diagnose remotely, and you may be better off calling tech support again when you have the laptop handy.

Presumably you're running a local ESRI license manager with a hardware dongle in the LPT or USB port of your computer.

Does the license manager start correctly when you're not on the network? Use the License Manager Tools under > Start > Programs > ArcGIS > License Manager (9.x) to test this.

Choose "configuration using services" on the first tab, then use the "perform status enquiry" button on the Server Status tab.

There is a document at http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=17879 which explains some reasons why the LM can fail to start when you're not on the network.

Good luck,
Steve 

Author Laurene Koman 
Date Aug 19, 2005 
Message Also check the Desktop Administrator - License - to make sure you have it configured to use your local license manager instead of a network license manager.

Date Aug 19, 2005 
Message Tx for input so far. I don't appear to have a License Manager, and the Desktop Manager shows N/A for the license variable info:
ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE: N/A
LM_LICENSE_FILE: N/A

I am using a student license, and the tech support guy seemed to think all was well. All certainly works fine when I'm on line... 

Author Stephen Lead 
Date Aug 19, 2005 
Message Hi Susan,

Can you try Laurene's suggestion - open > Start > Programs > ArcGIS > Desktop Administrator and check what is listed under Software Product, License Manager and Availability tabs - can you let us know?

Thanks,
Steve 

Author Laurene Koman 
Date Aug 19, 2005 
Message Do you have ArcGIS Desktop (concurrent) that requires a license manager - or a Single Use product - ArcView Single Use or ArcEditor Single Use?

It sounds like you have established a connection to a network license manager - and when you disconnect from the network, your software can't find that license manager which is why your apps fail.

For concurrent use software, a license manager is required to run the applications. 

Date Aug 19, 2005 
Message Well, my desktop administrator doesn't have multiple tabs, as referred to above. What I see are two folders under a top-level called ArcGIS Desktop (LAPTOP):
Folder 1: Register Single Use and Extensions
Folder 2: Availability

In folder 1, it says that I have ArcView/ArcEditor (Single Use).

In folder 2, it says that my ArcView (SingleUse) product is installed and registered and that it expires "permanent."

As I noted in an earlier post, the top-level folder says about License Manager Environment Variable Information:
ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE: N/A
LM_LICENSE_FILE: N/A

The tech who called me back originally said that ArcView won't work if it doesn't have a TCP/IP address to ping to, and that if I have mine dynamically assigned (as I do), that it's probably not getting assigned when I'm disconnected. It sounds like this doesn't ring a bell with any of you, and I expected the tech to call me back today (I left a message two days ago), but nothing so far. 

Author Stephen Lead 
Date Aug 20, 2005 
Message Hi Susan,

What the tech support guy said sounds about right - you'll need to be able to PING your machine by its name, and get back a valid IP address.

You might need to speak with your IT department and have them set up the laptop so that you're able to obtain an IP address when you're off the network.

Once that's working, try ArcView again. Like I said, this type of thing is hard to debug remotely, especially with a time delay through email! There are often lots of things you need to check to get it working. But hopefully once you're sorted it should just work from then on.

Good luck,
Steve 

Date Aug 20, 2005 
Message Good idea if I had an IT dept.

BTW, I'll be off the forum for a week or so... during which time I had hoped to be able to use ArcView, but I guess that's the way it goes.