Re: ArcGIS Desktop Error "The desired vendo...   Cassandra Gray May 01, 2006
Re: ArcGIS Desktop Error "The desired vendo...   Jason Boitson May 01, 2006
Re: ArcGIS Desktop Error "The desired vendo...   Jason Boitson May 05, 2006
Re: ArcGIS Desktop Error "The desired vendo...   Cassandra Gray May 05, 2006
Re: ArcGIS Desktop Error "The desired vendo...   Jason Boitson May 05, 2006
Re: ArcGIS Desktop Error "The desired vendo...   Cassandra Gray May 05, 2006
Re: ArcGIS Desktop Error "The desired vendo...   Andrew McMillan Jun 28, 2006
Re: ArcGIS Desktop Error "The desired vendo...   Jason Boitson Jun 29, 2006
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject ArcGIS Desktop Error "The desired vendor daemon is down" 
Author Jason Boitson 
Date Apr 26, 2006 
Message Hey Everyone,

I hope i can get some help on this problem, because i have been waiting 3 months now for ESRI Canada to figure it out.

ok first off i am not getting this error at ArcMap startup. My users are getting it when they are using ArcView or ArcEditor. This error which i have attached seems to occur when the user is extensively using ArcGIS desktop and then they leave it idle for about 10 min and when they come back to ArcGIS Desktop the error is already there, after clicking OK on this error a memory reference is fired and the application shuts down.

now for some background information and details that will help you understand the situation:
1. Our License Manager is installed on our ArcSDE Server with an alias name being used by all our ArcGIS Desktop Installs to point to it.
2. This error didnt start occuring until we bought a new server and upgraded all our Desktop and Server Licenses from 9.0 to 9.1
3. I tried setting up a test license manager on a desktop machine near me and got my users to use this for awhile to see if it was the server or ArcSDE causing these problems, and for about a month now none of my users have had this error.

now i realize to ESRI Canada they see this problem as fixed, but soon i will be setting up a FLEXNET 3 server License Manager for all our concurrent AutoCAD and ESRI Licenses. I want to see if anyone knows why i was orignally getting these errors so that if i run into the same problems when i setup this environment i can fix them right away.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. 
  arcmap error.doc (opens in new window)

Subject Re: ArcGIS Desktop Error "The desired vendor daemon is down" 
Author Cassandra Gray 
Date Apr 26, 2006 
Message Jason,

Can you post your license manager log file so we can hopefully see some more information in there as well as try a stop, start and then a reread on your license service. 
  Cassandra L.
ESRI 

Author Jason Boitson 
Date Apr 28, 2006 
Message i have attached my log file, i hope it is the right one.

i will try starting and stopping the license Manager and then doing a reread and ill let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your suggestions 
  ARCGIS_LM.LOG (opens in new window)

Author Cassandra Gray 
Date Apr 28, 2006 
Message Nope, that's the install log. The debug log file location can be found in the LMTools application; Start > Programs > ArcGIS > License Manager 9.x > License Manager Tools, select the Configure Services tab, look for 'Path to the debug log file'. 
  Cassandra L.
ESRI 

Author Jason Boitson 
Date May 01, 2006 
Message Hi,

i am attaching a screen shot of my LMTools, i can't seem to find a debug file path.

Thanks for you patience 
  Screen Shot of LMTools.JPG (opens in new window)

Author Cassandra Gray 
Date May 01, 2006 
Message On the first tab, select Configuration Using Services and then make sure the 'ArcGIS License Manager' is selected in the box below, then click the Configure Services tab. 
  Cassandra L.
ESRI 

Author Jason Boitson 
Date May 01, 2006 
Message Thanks Cassandra,

i won't be able to do this while my users are on the system, but i will try tonite and change it to use the Service.

Thanks for your help 

Author Jason Boitson 
Date May 05, 2006 
Message I changed to Configuration using Services, and checked the configure services tab and found the path to the debug logfile and went searching for it, but it wasn't there, or has never been created.

you have any ideas? 

Author Cassandra Gray 
Date May 05, 2006 
Message It has been created but it may be difficult to find. Please try the following:

On the Configure Service tab, select the entire path to the debug log file and press CTRL-C to copy it.

Navigate to Start > Run, type "notepad" with no quotes, then press the spacebar once and then press CTRL-V to paste the path to the debug log file. Click OK. This should open the debug log file in Notepad. 
  Cassandra L.
ESRI 

Author Jason Boitson 
Date May 05, 2006 
Message Hmmm. still won't find it, i tried just creating a new log file, but how do i get License Manager info to write to it? i changed the path in my Configuration to point to this new license manager log file 

Author Cassandra Gray 
Date May 05, 2006 
Message Delete the entire path to the debug log file; type in whatever you want, like c:\licensemanager.log or whatever. It's just a text file that gets written to wherever you want.

Click the Save Service button and then click Yes.

Go to the Start/Stop/Reread tab. Click Stop, then Start, then Reread. This should generate stuff into the new log file you've designated. 
  Cassandra L.
ESRI 

Author Andrew McMillan 
Date Jun 28, 2006 
Message Was there ever a solution to this, we are experiencing the same thing here.

Andrew McMillan
City of Surrey

Author Jason Boitson 
Date Jun 29, 2006 
Message No i havn't figured it out yet.

i have looked at the debug file and sent it to ESRI Tech Support, but still no resolution.

what i had to do for a temp fix was to install a temp license and usb dongle and that seems to work.

so i don't know if the problem was with the orignal dongle, license key file, or installation