Re: XTools prevents opening of pre-9.3.1 MX...   Ashley Richmond Jul 20, 2009
Re: XTools prevents opening of pre-9.3.1 MX...   Heather Kelley Aug 26, 2009
Re: XTools prevents opening of pre-9.3.1 MX...   Ryan Taylor Aug 31, 2009
Re: XTools prevents opening of pre-9.3.1 MX...   Andrei Elobogoev Sep 01, 2009
Re: XTools prevents opening of pre-9.3.1 MX...   Chris Gardner Apr 19, 2010
Re: XTools prevents opening of pre-9.3.1 MX...   Ryan Taylor Sep 01, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject XTools prevents opening of pre-9.3.1 MXDs 
Author Aaron Allen 
Date May 27, 2009 
Message I just upgraded to ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 from 9.2 SP6 and I cannot open any pre-9.3.1 MXDs. My CPU spikes and the MXDs hang forever. XTools is the issue because I can open the pre-9.3.1 MXDs if I uninstall it. I created a couple of 9.3.1. MXDs and they open fine with XTools installed.

Prior to installing 9.3.1 I uninstalled XTools and all third party extensions. Then I uninstalled the ArcGIS Desktop 9.2 software. I installed the 9.3 software followed by the 9.3.1 update. I was using XTools 5.1 before but installed version 5.3 this time. I tried going back to XTools 5.1 but the MXDs won't open using that version either. I even re-installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable bundled with XTools but it didn't help. Generating a new ArcMap template (normal.mxt) didn't work either.

I successfully reinstalled my other third party extensions and have experienced no problems with them. Other users in our company are running ArcMap 9.3.1 with XTools 5.3.

I use XTools a lot so I need to install it. Anyone know what I can do?

--------edit--------
Here's more info to add to that above. The problem can be narrowed to ArcGIS 9.3.1 and MXDs saved using ArcMap 9.2 SP6 (and possibly SP4 and SP5). I had saved several MXDs when I was using ArcMap 9.2 SP6 and now I can't get any of them to open on five different machines running ArcMap 9.3.1 and XTools 5.3. Older MXDs, those from 2006 and earlier, open on these five machines. We also have 1) a PC running ArcMap 9.3 (build 1770, the initial release of 9.3) and 2) another PC running ArcMap 9.3 SP1. Both have XTools 5.3 installed and we can open all of the "problem" MXDs on those two PCs. MXDs saved using 9.3.1 open fine on all the 9.3.1 machines with XTools 5.3 installed. So, to reiterate somewhat, the issue is rooted in the 9.3.1 update and affects MXDs last saved using ArcMap 9.2 SP6 (and possibly SP4 and SP5).
--------edit--------

Thanks,

Aaron Allen
Albuquerque, NM 

Subject Re: XTools prevents opening of pre-9.3.1 MXDs 
Author Brian Fee 
Date May 27, 2009 
Message I have had the same problem and that includes MXDs that were created in 9.3.

Any info would be appreciated. 

Author Andrei Elobogoev 
Date Jun 04, 2009 
Message Hello all,

We are sorry for this inconvenience, by the moment we already have a fix for this problem. Everybody experiencing the same issues can use the attached Python script (zipped) to fix the problematic MXDs. Please feel free to contact us directly in case of any questions.
I would like to specify this is not a compatibility issue. It only relates to some MXDs saved with earlier ArcGIS versions (9.2 or 9.3). You can use XTools Pro 5.3 with ArcGIS 9.3.1.

Best wishes and thank you for using our software,
Andrei Elobogoev
Data East, LLC 
  cure_mxd.zip (opens in new window)

Author Isabella Partin 
Date Jun 10, 2009 
Message Are there instructions on how to use the script? 

Author Brian Fee 
Date Jun 10, 2009 
Message I got it to run by placing the script in the same folder as the mxd and then running the script with the MXD being called. ie cure_mxd.py sample.mxd 

Author Andrei Elobogoev 
Date Jun 11, 2009 
Message My apologies, I should have given the usage instructions in the same post. Here is what we advise.
As with other Python scripts, you can use this script in two ways:

- as already mentioned above, you can copy the script to the folder with the MXD file and run it from the system command line, for example:
C:\temp\cure_mxd.py my.mxd

- or you can add it to ArcToolbox, in this case don't forget to add the file parameter like "Path" to specify the input MXD

Let me know in case of any further questions.

Best regards,
Andrei 

Author J. Carlson 
Date Jun 17, 2009 
Message When trying this I get this error message
at the bottom:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

U:\>d:

D:\>cd Klamath

D:\Klamath>dir
Volume in drive D has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 8CAF-B715

Directory of D:\Klamath

06/16/2009 04:09 PM .
06/16/2009 04:09 PM ..
05/20/2009 10:08 AM cadadjust
05/20/2009 10:09 AM cadnad83
05/18/2009 01:34 PM cad_orig
06/04/2009 12:06 PM 1,215 curemxd.py
05/18/2009 01:38 PM imagery
06/16/2009 11:06 AM 108,032 registercad.mxd
06/16/2009 03:41 PM 308,736 registercad2.mxd
05/20/2009 09:26 AM waterdistrict
3 File(s) 417,983 bytes
7 Dir(s) 62,700,384,256 bytes free

D:\Klamath>d:/Klamath/curemxd.py registercad.mxd
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "d:\Klamath\curemxd.py", line 1, in
import pythoncom
ImportError: No module named pythoncom

D:\Klamath> 

Author Andrei Elobogoev 
Date Jun 18, 2009 
Message We are not sure, but apparently there is something wrong with your Python installation. We have built the exe from the Python script to make it less dependent, please see the attached package. Unzip the cure_mxd folder and use the cure_mxd.exe file.

Example:
c:\temp\cure_mxd\cure_mxd.exe my_map.mxd

Regards,
Andrei 
  cure_mxd(exe).zip (opens in new window)

Author Curtis Price 
Date Jun 24, 2009 
Message Hi Andrei. Does this script require PythonWin to be installed to run? If so, a VBScript or .net EXE fix may be helpful to the many people that don't install PythonWin. 
  Curtis Price, U.S. Geological Survey
Home is where the .arc is 

Author Andrei Elobogoev 
Date Jun 24, 2009 
Message Hi Curtis. Sure, this could be an issue. And to avoid such problems we've made the .exe option - cure_mxd.exe file contained right in the attached package, see my previous post above yours.
This .exe does not require anything, you don't need PythonWin, Python, or ArcGIS to run it.

Regards,
Andrei 

Author David Grigg 
Date Jun 30, 2009 
Message Work Around:
In ArcCatalog, you can right click on the "bad" mxd and use the "Set Data Source" command to make a copy. This has "fixed" my mxds. If you have alot, it might be a pain...

But on a case by case basis, it has worked for me. 
  David
THE LPA GROUP, INC

Author Kirk Nordyke 
Date Jun 30, 2009 
Message We just "discovered" this problem today, found this thread and have been reviewing it, as we prepare to roll out ArcGIS v9.3.1 in the cominig weeks. The post prior to this one from David Grigg is much more promising than the solution from Data East. We have ~100 users, each with their own mxd's, and it would be a disaster trying to get them to run a script from the command line, and to do so multiple times. However, David's work around may still be more than we can expect from our end-users, so I don't know what we will do when we do roll out the new ArcGIS. Plus, the work around strips something out of the mxd; the file size decreases by ~2 orders of magnitude. What is taken out? Any idea?

Kirk 

Author David Grigg 
Date Jun 30, 2009 
Message Kirk,

Read the message at the top of the window after you open the "Set Data Source" tool....I believe that it explains what is removed. 
  David
THE LPA GROUP, INC

Author Andrei Elobogoev 
Date Jul 01, 2009 
Message David,

Yes, that can be used as a work around in some cases. The only thing is I would be carefull using it as it removes a lot from mxd-s (though it creates a copy of mxd).
Actually this is the main difference - our script removes only information about XTools Pro from the mxd-s while ArcCatalog removes many other things as well.

Kirk, I can understand getting all your users to run the script might be not so simple. Sorry for that, can only suggest to wait for 6.0 which is coming soon. There is no such problem with 6.0. As I can see, you did not order a license, so this won't be a matter of upgrading to you.

Regards,
Andrei 

Author Kirk Nordyke 
Date Jul 01, 2009 
Message Hey Andrei, would you please email me your contact information? I have an XToolsPro purchasing question you may be able to help me with, and I've never been able to speak with someone actually from Data East. My email address is Kirk.Nordyke@wgf.state.wy.us. Thanks. 

Author Andrei Elobogoev 
Date Jul 01, 2009 
Message Kirk - just sent you an email, you're welcome with any questions.

Andrei 

Author Kirk Nordyke 
Date Jul 02, 2009 
Message Andrei, I never received your email. If you have lots of links associated with an automated signature line, that will sometimes cause an email to be considered spam on our end and it won't be passed through. Could you try again, and make sure you have my address correct and remove any such links?

Thanks,
Kirk 

Author Andrei Elobogoev 
Date Jul 02, 2009 
Message Kirk, I have no links in the signature. Anyway, checked your address and tried again.

Andrei 

Author Ashley Richmond 
Date Jul 20, 2009 
Message I used the "Set data source"/copy mxd suggestion with success. It seems that some of the layout information does not carry over into the new copy (such as page orientation), in addition to what is mentioned in the "set data source" dialog, which is as follows:

"Note: this dialog is intended primarily for preparing map documents for publication. Customizations (VBA code, UI Controls and custom toolbars), graphs, and table window appearance properties are removed from .mxd files when you update their data sources using this dialog. To preserve these, update the data sources in ArcMap instead." 

Author Heather Kelley 
Date Aug 26, 2009 
Message I've found that the set data source"/copy mxd suggestion worked for me as well. The XTools scripts didn't resolve my issues. However as already mention the page format is altered.
I'm not 100% certain but it seems like I'm having issues with mxd's that have broken links to sde data in them. Has anyone else noticed this?? 

Author Ryan Taylor 
Date Aug 31, 2009 
Message Andrei,

I am having the same problem as above, and the cure_mxd.exe DID allow me to open my .mxds, however, it changed all the data paths to C (I had to move the .mxds to my C: to allow the tool to run in a CMD as you can't run access a UNC path in CMD). Since my data is not stored on my C:, and rather is stored on a network drive, what are my options to fix this problem? (I have 20+ .mxds with 15+ layers in each) 
  - Ryan Taylor
GIS Administrator
Kerr Wood Leidal Associates
Burnaby, BC
www.kwl.ca 

Author Andrei Elobogoev 
Date Sep 01, 2009 
Message Ryan,

Did you put your mxds back to that network drive after processing? Actually, I don't think the script changed the paths in your .mxds, it just cannot do that.
On a side note, you can try to fix such problems with incorrect paths with the Change Datasources tool from XTools Pro.

Regards,
Andrei 

Author Chris Gardner 
Date Apr 19, 2010 
Message Hi Andrei,

I am dealing with this problem as well. I was able to use the ArcCatalog/set data sources/make copy mxd option for most of my mxds but recently ran across some that don't respond to that approach. I've attempted using the python script by adding it to ArcToolbox but it fails, giving me the following error:

"Executing: FixMXD C:\cure_mxd\Fig12Fr1.mxd
Start Time: Mon Apr 19 12:54:44 2010
Running script FixMXD...
: No module named pythoncom
Failed to execute (FixMXD).
End Time: Mon Apr 19 12:54:45 2010 (Elapsed Time: 1.00 seconds)

I'm pretty sure I have the standard Python installation that is performed when you install ArcGIS-

I also tried the executable .exe that you included as a link in one of the posts but that didn't work for me either.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris

Author Andrei Elobogoev 
Date Sep 01, 2009 
Message Ryan, you can also send us a couple of your .mxds. We will have a closer look at it and will provide more comments.

Regards,
Andrei 

Author Ryan Taylor 
Date Sep 01, 2009 
Message Andrei,

What is your e-mail address to send them to? 
  - Ryan Taylor
GIS Administrator
Kerr Wood Leidal Associates
Burnaby, BC
www.kwl.ca 

Author Andrei Elobogoev 
Date Sep 01, 2009 
Message Ryan,

I've just sent you an email.

Andrei