Re: FLEXlm Error: The desired vendor daemon...   Kirk Kuykendall Jul 01, 2002
Re: FLEXlm Error: The desired vendor daemon...   Sean Gordon Jul 01, 2002
Re: FLEXlm Error: The desired vendor daemon...   William Dollins Jul 10, 2002
Re: FLEXlm Error: The desired vendor daemon...   Nikolai Graae Jul 11, 2002
Re: FLEXlm Error: The desired vendor daemon...   Sean Gordon Jul 15, 2002
How to install and run ArcGIS with Norton A...   Dali Tang Nov 20, 2003
Re: How to install and run ArcGIS with Nort...   Stephani Rust Aug 06, 2008
Re: How to install and run ArcGIS with Nort...   Randall W Aug 22, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject FLEXlm Error: The desired vendor daemon is down 
Author Sean Gordon 
Date Jul 01, 2002 
Message I’m trying to install ArcGIS 8.1.2 Workstation for the first time on a Win2000 machine on my home network (it is its own license server). When I try to run Arc I get the message:
-----
FLEXlm Error: The desired vendor daemon is down
1) Check the lmgrd log file, or 2) Try lmreread
Feature: ARC/INFO
Vendor:Host: ESRI : D8YST411
License path: 27005@D8YST411;@D8YST411;@D8YST411;c:\arcgis\arcexe81\sysgen\license.dat
FLEXlm error: -97,380. System Error: 10061 ""
For further information, refer to the FLEXlm End User Manual,
available at "www.globetrotter.com".
-----
I don’t have any license.dat file anywhere on my harddisk – is this a problem?

I’ve tried the fixes in ESRI KB article on this error message (12680)
1. Make sure the Sentinel Key (Hardware Dongle) is attached and responding correctly [responds ok to Display Hardware Key Status]
2. Make sure you are using the latest License Manager. You may need to reinstall the License Manger to solve the error [reinstalled flexlm 7.0b from CD; then tried downloading & replacing with latest 8.1b; then reverted to 7.0b due to earlier forum message stating ArcGIS not compatible w/v8]
3. Make sure the information in the License File is accurate [everything seems to match, except version number is 8.01 but our computer support says that’s the case for all other installations, which run fine]

The license manager log file seems to point to the following breakdown:
-----
9:06:21 (ESRI) Vendor daemon can't talk to lmgrd ()
9:06:35 (lmgrd) Vendor daemon died with status 28
-----
The Flexlm manual says status 28 is an obsolete error code.

At one point I received the “FLEXlm Error: Cannot connect to license server” message, so also went through steps in Article Number 12654:
1. Make sure TCP/IP is installed and functioning properly [ok]
2. Make sure the Sentinel Key (Hardware Dongle) is attached and responding correctly [ok]
3. Make sure the acquisition timeout has been set to -1 when the hardware key has another parallel device attached [printer is attached, so set to –1]
4. Make sure the information in the License File is accurate [ok]
5. Make sure you are using the latest License Manager. You may solve an error by reinstalling the License Manager [ok]

Then tried:
Article Number 14242 Error: Vendor Daemon cannot talk to lmgrd
Article Number 21944 Messages in the lmgrd.log or license.log file

Since the ESRI_LICENSE_FILE environment variable didn’t seem to be set, I set it to: 27005@D8YST411
And tried rebooting w/o the firewall (Zonealarm), no effect.

So I’m running out of ideas – thanks if you’ve managed to stick with it this far!

Subject Re: FLEXlm Error: The desired vendor daemon is down 
Author Kirk Kuykendall 
Date Jul 01, 2002 
Message Did you try re-installing the license manager on your machine?

You will need a license.dat file with numbers that match your dongle.

Kirk Kuykendall
AmberGIS Programming Services & Sales
http://www.ambergis.com
Now Answering questions at:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/

Author Sean Gordon 
Date Jul 01, 2002 
Message I tried saving my keycode file as /sysgen/license.dat and re-installing the license manager again. Got another one of the error messages I've encountered before "Cannot connect to license server".

The User Diagnostics program says "WorkLicenseServer.txt file is missing from c:\arcgis\arcexe81\sysgen", but couldn't find any further info on what this is supposed to be.

Task manager shows ESRI.EXE and lmgrd.exe both running, although lmgrd doesn't seem to see the other. 

Author William Dollins 
Date Jul 10, 2002 
Message Sean,

I am having a similar problem on WinXP Professional. Did you ever find a solution? 
  Bill Dollins
Zekiah Technologies, Inc.
www.zekiah.com 

Author Nikolai Graae 
Date Jul 11, 2002 
Message Just some suggestions about esri and ZA.
ESRI in ZoneAlarm, probably called lmgr326b.exe (ESRI.exe) or something similar and lmgrd.exe has to have server and user rights, at least in the trusted zone. If you want to you can specify which ports these two files should listen to (TCP). The ports are listed in the license.log as in:
---
11:02:20 (lmgrd) License file(s): D:\downloadNT\esri\ArcGIS 8.1\license.lic
11:02:20 (lmgrd) lmgrd tcp-port 27005
11:02:20 (lmgrd) Starting vendor daemons ...
11:02:20 (lmgrd) Started ESRI (pid 2152)
11:02:20 (lmgrd) lmgrd tcp-port 27005
11:02:20 (lmgrd) ESRI using TCP-port 1027
---
That should be your last entry in the license.log. But if you're having trouble with lmgrd you might not have that entry...

Secondly, using LMTOOLS (under program files/arcgis/license manager/license manager tools)

1. The first pane service/license file
Click on "Configuration using Services"
Now an entry should appear in the white textbox below reading 'ESRI License Manager'. If not, go to configure services on pane 7.

Check the service name (as above) - if there is none, create a new one entering all info as necessary and then press save.
Path to lmgrd.exe (prob. C:\Program Files\ESRI\License\lmgrd.exe)
Path to license file (your license file path)
path to debug file (anywhere you want your license.log)
Make sure there is a checkmark in both
A. 'Start server at power up'
B. 'Use Services'

If there was no service at this time, you might have to reboot in order to start the service and then go into LMTOOLS again for the following steps.

Then go to pane 4 'Start/Stop/Reread'
Click on 'Reread License File'
Click 'Start Server'
Both should come back without error.
If you get an error at this stage either your dongle isn't being detected properly (which you have ruled out) or the license file is corrupt.

Go to pane 3. Utilities
Click on 'Perform Check Sum'
The output should be something like:

125: Server [the name of your the PC where your licenseserver is/or "localhost"] ESRI_SENTINEL_KEY=xxxxx xxxxx (x=equals your hardware key number)
52: Deamon ESRI ESRI (or something similar)

and then a number of lines specifying each licensed feature, expire date, number of users etc and a checksum code. Each line should begin with 'OK'.

At this time, look in your license file (which you named license.dat - it can have any name). It should have the following format:
SERVER localhost/[your server name]ESRI_SENTINEL_KEY=xxxxx xxxxx
DAEMON ESRI ESRI
#VENDOR ESRI
FEATURE bla bla
FEATURE bla bla
etc.

At this stage you might want to try to change the line DAEMON ESRI ESRI
to DAEMON ESRI "c:\program files\license\ESRI.exe"
or wherever you installed the esri.exe file.

Next step then is to go to pane 5. 'Server Status'
Click on the button 'Perform Status Enquiry'

It should list your license server status (name)
License file (path)

PCname: license server UP (MASTER) v7.x (or 8.x)
Vendor Deamon Status (on pcname)
ESRI: UP vx.x (that's the file called ESRI.exe)
Feature Usage Info
A list of your licensed features and # of licenses available

At this stage if everything checks out OK, you can perform 'server diagnostics' on pane 6.
The info displayed there should be self-explanatory.

Close LMTOOLS and run Arcview. CLick on yes for all the ESRI ArcGIS components to access the internet in zonealarm.

Tell me your feedback and I'll be glad to assist you any further. 

Author Sean Gordon 
Date Jul 15, 2002 
Message Eureka! Nikolai, thanks for your detailed help – it solved my problem.

I believe the solution was adding the DAEMON ESRI "c:\program files\license\ESRI.exe" line to my license file and then reinstalling the license manager. I didn’t have any DAEMON line in the license file before, and don’t recall seeing a reference to one in any help files (I just had the VENDOR ESRI line). Curiously the DAEMON line doesn’t show up in the *.lic files (so maybe that’s not what solved it?).

The other advice I followed was to grant the ESRI.EXE and LMGRD.EXE services connection and server permissions in Zonealarm. I’d done this before, but somehow they’d reverted to deny status (I’d also tried booting with ZA completely off, which is why I give somewhat more weight to the DAEMON fix).

In any case you brought a happy end to many hours of frustrating troubleshooting – thanks again Nikolai!

Sean 

Subject How to install and run ArcGIS with Norton AntiVirus? 
Author Dali Tang 
Date Nov 20, 2003 
Message When ArcGIS doesn¡¯t work and appears License error MSG: ¡°The desired vendor daemon is down¡± on the screen with running Norton AntiVirus in your PC you should do following steps:
1. Check if there is the license file under "C:\program files\ESRI\license" folder and the loadhost name in the license is your computer name. If no you have to copy the licence file to the folder and change loadhost name as your computer name ( SERVER localhost/[your server name]ESRI_SENTINEL_KEY=xxxxx xxxxx).
The step need to do one time only.

2. The license manager for ArcGIS is forbidden to access port of the dongle by Norton Antivirus run in your PC. So, before running Arcinfo, ArcEditor and ArcView you hove to do following steps every time:

1 Run LMTOOLS (under Start/program files/arcgis/license manager/license manager tools)
1.1 The first pane service/license file
Click on "Configuration using Services"
Now an entry should appear in the white textbox below reading 'ESRI License Manager'.
1.2 Then go to pane 4 'Start/Stop/Reread'
Click 'Start Server'
Pop up ¡°Norton Internet Security¡± View and ask you ¡°What do you want to do?¡± on the screen. Please select ¡°Always allow connection to this program on all ports¡± so that lmgrd.exe can read the dongle. Do the same again when Norton ask you again and let ESRI.exe can also read the dongle.
1.3 Close LMTOOL
Now you can run ArcGIS 

Subject Re: How to install and run ArcGIS with Norton AntiVirus? 
Author Stephani Rust 
Date Aug 06, 2008 
Message I am having what sounds like similar trouble...

Every time I reboot my computer, I lose contact w/ my license on the dongle. Each time, I receive the "vendor daemon is down" message, then fix by using the 'stop-start license' steps in LMTools.

It works, but I am getting tired of having to do this every time I reboot!

I do have Norton Antivirus on my PC...is there a way to permanently fix this and get Norton to make an exception for my dongle?

Thanks! 

Subject Re: How to install and run ArcGIS with Norton AntiVirus? 
Author Randall W 
Date Aug 22, 2008 
Message Sounds like your USB ports power up after the ArcGIS License Manager service starts. Here's how I'd fix this issue.

Create a batch file that reads:

(open notepad, copy the below into notepad, save it as restartlm.bat, and when you save, make sure to change the file type from TEXT to ALL FILES.)

Net Stop ArcGIS License Manager
Net Start ArcGIS License Manager

After you've created your batch file, open up the Task Scheduler, and create a new task to run this batch file when the machine starts.

The LM service will then be started after the task manager service starts, and should help to ease your frustration.