||I’m trying to install ArcGIS 8.1.2 Workstation for the first time on a Win2000 machine on my home network (it is its own license server). When I try to run Arc I get the message:
FLEXlm Error: The desired vendor daemon is down
1) Check the lmgrd log file, or 2) Try lmreread
Vendor:Host: ESRI : D8YST411
License path: 27005@D8YST411;@D8YST411;@D8YST411;c:\arcgis\arcexe81\sysgen\license.dat
FLEXlm error: -97,380. System Error: 10061 ""
For further information, refer to the FLEXlm End User Manual,
available at "www.globetrotter.com".
I don’t have any license.dat file anywhere on my harddisk – is this a problem?
I’ve tried the fixes in ESRI KB article on this error message (12680)
1. Make sure the Sentinel Key (Hardware Dongle) is attached and responding correctly [responds ok to Display Hardware Key Status]
2. Make sure you are using the latest License Manager. You may need to reinstall the License Manger to solve the error [reinstalled flexlm 7.0b from CD; then tried downloading & replacing with latest 8.1b; then reverted to 7.0b due to earlier forum message stating ArcGIS not compatible w/v8]
3. Make sure the information in the License File is accurate [everything seems to match, except version number is 8.01 but our computer support says that’s the case for all other installations, which run fine]
The license manager log file seems to point to the following breakdown:
9:06:21 (ESRI) Vendor daemon can't talk to lmgrd ()
9:06:35 (lmgrd) Vendor daemon died with status 28
The Flexlm manual says status 28 is an obsolete error code.
At one point I received the “FLEXlm Error: Cannot connect to license server” message, so also went through steps in Article Number 12654:
1. Make sure TCP/IP is installed and functioning properly [ok]
2. Make sure the Sentinel Key (Hardware Dongle) is attached and responding correctly [ok]
3. Make sure the acquisition timeout has been set to -1 when the hardware key has another parallel device attached [printer is attached, so set to –1]
4. Make sure the information in the License File is accurate [ok]
5. Make sure you are using the latest License Manager. You may solve an error by reinstalling the License Manager [ok]
Article Number 14242 Error: Vendor Daemon cannot talk to lmgrd
Article Number 21944 Messages in the lmgrd.log or license.log file
Since the ESRI_LICENSE_FILE environment variable didn’t seem to be set, I set it to: 27005@D8YST411
And tried rebooting w/o the firewall (Zonealarm), no effect.
So I’m running out of ideas – thanks if you’ve managed to stick with it this far!