You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcCatalog Data Creation & Import/Export forum

.mdb Table to Shapefile   Jenny Glazer Mar 21, 2004
Re: .mdb Table to Shapefile   Dan Patterson Mar 22, 2004
Re: .mdb Table to Shapefile   Pierre Vos Mar 29, 2004
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject .mdb Table to Shapefile 
Author Jenny Glazer 
Date Mar 21, 2004 
Message I have a .mdb that I have already added X,Y data to in ArcMap. However, I don't know how to export these events to a shapefile. Could I have that process spelled out for me? I looked it up on the help menu and it told me to use arccatalog, right click on the file, and choose export. However, the .mdb file that I have in ArcMap does not have exporting as an option when I right click. Importing is an option but not exporting. Also, will doing this allow me to do a "search by attributes" on these points? Not being able to "search by attributes" or edit the .mdb file that I have in ArcMap is what led to the need to be able to convert it to a shapefile in the first place. Just wanted to make sure that I'll be able to query these data after they're converted to a shapefile. Thanks so much! 

Subject Re: .mdb Table to Shapefile 
Author Dan Patterson 
Date Mar 22, 2004 
Message right click on the XY table layer, select Data, Export Data
It can be done in arccataglog as well
Check the help by typing "Export Data" in the Index table of the help, select "creating new data source from values in table" , select "How to create new data sources from values in a table" 
  Geomatics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada 

Subject Re: .mdb Table to Shapefile 
Author Pierre Vos 
Date Mar 29, 2004 
Message In ArcMap,
1) Go to TOOLS>ADD XY DATA...
2) Then Right click on the newly created Event Layer then >DATA>EXPORT DATA>... Select Shapefile as export format. 
  Pierre VOS