Re: Importing GPS data into ArcGIS version...   Mark Lindberg Apr 28, 2005
Re: Importing GPS data into ArcGIS version...   Veronique Vermette Jul 26, 2007
Re: Importing GPS data into ArcGIS version...   Eric Bowman Jul 29, 2007
Re: Importing GPS data into ArcGIS version...   Veronique Vermette Jul 30, 2007
Re: Importing GPS data into ArcGIS version...   Eric Bowman Jul 30, 2007
Re: Importing GPS data into ArcGIS version...   Veronique Vermette Jul 31, 2007
Re: Importing GPS data into ArcGIS version...   Eric Bowman Aug 02, 2007
Re: Importing GPS data into ArcGIS version...   Veronique Vermette Aug 02, 2007
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Importing GPS data into ArcGIS version 9.0 
Author Sylvanus Abua 
Date Apr 26, 2005 
Message I have just taken waypoints along the perimeters of forest blocks using a Garmin Map76 GPS with two goals in mind: a) calculating the size of these forest blocks, and b) creating maps that I can integrate with other datasets in an ArcGIS environment. I am new to ArcGIS 9.0 and have no idea of how to get the job done in ArcGIS. Is there anyone out there who can help with 'how-to details'? Many thanks 

sabua

Subject Re: Importing GPS data into ArcGIS version 9.0 
Author John Sobetzer 
Date Apr 26, 2005 
Message There is a GPS toolbar that allows you to link your GPS to ArcMap. You or others can download GPS points to a shapefile using the free program DNR Garmin, the paid GPS Trackmaker Pro or other programs. DNR Garmin can be used as a stand alone program in addition to its use as an extension to Arcview 3x. You can upload to your GPS with these options too.

You could convert your waypoints to a track in that GPS I think, and have it give you acreage.

Once you have points (from waypoints)you can create polygons "manually" by snapping to them as you create a polygon. There is a ShapeConvert script on the ESRI scripts site that might convert points or lines to polygons. Depending on what version of ArcGIS you have you may have a tool enabling you to convert lines to polygons (see Feature to Polygon tool, also see ET GeoWizards). 

Author Mark Lindberg 
Date Apr 28, 2005 
Message I just went through this process yesterday with the DNRGarmin free utility. Basically, download waypoints from Garmin GPS to DNRGarmin. Convert to "Tracks" simply by clicking the Tracks radio button. Then Save To file, selecting Unprojected shapefile as file type. You will be prompted to specify point, line, or polygon shapefile (pick polygon). And voila, you have your polygon shapefile.

I had to make sure "NONE" button was selected under Set Projections, or else my shapefile displayed somewhere in outerspace in the data frame. 

Author Veronique Vermette 
Date Jul 26, 2007 
Message I've tried with following all the steps previously mentionned and of course, my data as they appear in the table are jut not appearing on the map, or anywhere else.

Is there a way to verify that the download worked fine, or to retrieve my data? 

Author Eric Bowman 
Date Jul 29, 2007 
Message Hi Veronica,

I use the DNR Garmin quite a bit. One thing you may want to do in the import of your data is to set your projection. You have two options to save the shapefile (1. unprojected or 2. projected).

Which way are you saving your shapefiles?

Eric Bowman

Training Instructor
ESRI 

Date Jul 30, 2007 
Message Thank you for the reply.

I have a route marked as waypoint saved on my GPS, UTM NAD 83. With DNR Garmin, I've tried to download it as a route, and save it as a line. It doesn't work, unless I save the file under "unprojected" and a "point". I finally got only a point showing on my map, but how to see the route and how to make shure it conforms with another set of data I want to join on the map?

Author Eric Bowman 
Date Jul 30, 2007 
Message Hi Veronique,

I have had some issues with DNR Garmin and 9.2 a couple of weeks ago with a group of teachers. Usually, it would take both unprojected and projected and "project on the fly" in arcgis 9.0, but in 9.2, it prefers to have a coordinate system. Are you using personal geodatabase or a file geodatabase? I found that in 9.2 in a file geodatabase, it needs the projection of the shapefile.

Here is the workaround:
1. Download the data in the DNR Garmin as a separate program and not in arcgis.
2. Save as a projected shapefile.
3. Open ArcGIS 9.x.
4. Add your basemap aerial (should be projected) - this should set your dataview projection.
5. Add your shapefile you downloaded.

This should work and project correctly.

Let me known.

Eric

Training Instructor
ESRI 

Date Jul 31, 2007 
Message As soon as I am trying to save a downloaded waypoint marked as a route, as a projected file, it asks me if I want to save it as a point, line, or poly. If I either choose line or poly, it will tell me "no valid shapes ceated in shapefile". Therefore , I can't use it in ArcMap.

How then can I download a route from a GPS to a shapefile and get all my tracÚ, and not only the fnal point?

Author Eric Bowman 
Date Aug 02, 2007 
Message Hi Veronique,

Okay, here's a quick work around. I would download your "track" as points that outline the area you GPS'd.

Make sure those points can be seen on a base map. If not, be sure to set the projection.

Then, I would create a new shapefile in ArcCatalog and would digitize those points to create my polygon. I realize this wasn't close, but you will end up with your polygon of the area.

Also, if you don't mind, please send me a text file of your data and as well as where you got your base map from. I can try to recreate what you are seeing.

Eric
Instructor
ESRI
ebowman@esri.com 

Date Aug 02, 2007 
Message I just (finally!) solved the problem. I downloaded my waypoint to Mapsource, seen a tracÚ, then uploaded as a track back to my GPS, then DNR Garmin as line shapefile, then added it to Arcmap.

Thank you for your support. Can,t wait to have a straigh download from a GPS to Arcview...