Re: how to import ASCII grids to ArcMap?   Sara T Jun 04, 2005
Re: how to import ASCII grids to ArcMap?   Dan Patterson Jun 04, 2005
Re: how to import ASCII grids to ArcMap?   Sara T Jun 06, 2005
Re: how to import ASCII grids to ArcMap?   Dan Patterson Jun 06, 2005
Re: how to import ASCII grids to ArcMap?   Salahuddin Ahmad May 27, 2009
Re: how to import ASCII grids to ArcMap?   Rinke Heida Jul 18, 2005
how to convert grid files to ascii?   vignesh manian Sep 10, 2008
Re: how to convert grid files to ascii?   Rinke Heida Sep 10, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject how to import ASCII grids to ArcMap? 
Author Sara T 
Date Jun 02, 2005 
Message Hello everyone,
I'm having trouble with importing .grd files to ArcMap. I was told that the data I'm working with were ASCII, and all the files have extensions .grd. I tried to use Arc Toolbox and a conversion option ASCII to Raster, but none of the .grd files can be converted nor imported. Can anyone help me with this?
When I open a file with Notepad, this is what I get for the first few columns/rows:

ncols 480
nrows 240
xllcorner -141.5
yllcorner 59.5
cellsize 0.083333337679505
NODATA_value -9999

I have a few thousands of such files to import to ArcMap. Is there a possibility of doing more than one at the time?

Thanks a lot!

Subject Re: how to import ASCII grids to ArcMap? 
Author Sara T 
Date Jun 02, 2005 
Message I also forgot to say that I'm using ArcMap 9.0 

Author Dan Patterson 
Date Jun 02, 2005 
Message See
http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=12876

and
ArcToolBox
Conversion tools
to Raster
Ascii to Raster

looks for a *.txt or a *.asc file extension
It may be your file extension that is causing the problem 
  Geomatics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada 

Author Sara T 
Date Jun 02, 2005 
Message Thanks for responding...
So, I can't import .grd files to ArcMap? 

Author Dan Patterson 
Date Jun 03, 2005 
Message why not try copying one of the *.grd to a *.asc and see if this is your problem. If that is the case you can rename all the grd files to asc by going out to the command prompt in your operating system (aka DOS) and typing

c:\temp\rename *.grd *.asc
assuming I was in the c:\temp folder then you would only type the rename and beyond part 

Author Sara T 
Date Jun 04, 2005 
Message Thanks Dan (again),
I did what you said and it worked! I renamed all the files (from .grd to .asc) and then used ArcToolbox to convert ASCII to raster. Everything seems to be ok.
However, I have an additional problem. I have to convert 7000 .asc files to raster. I tried using the application that you had left the link for, but the program is used to convert ASCII raster to ESRI GRIDS. What I need to do is to convert .asc files to raster; converting one at the time will take me months (because in ArcToolbox ASCII to raster conversion tool, I can only choose one file at the time). Do you think that there is a way of converting more than one at the time? Thanks a lot, it's really important and I have no experience in all of this...

Author Dan Patterson 
Date Jun 04, 2005 
Message esri grid is one form of raster, what format do you want? ESRI grid is the raster format that you should use if you intend to use the spatial analyst for analysis purposes. 

Author Sara T 
Date Jun 06, 2005 
Message Using ArcToolbox/Conversion Tools/To Raster/ASCII to Raster/ without specifying the extension conversts the .asc files into ESRI GRID. But this option allows me to convert only one file at the time. The program (for which you left the link above)seem to convert ASCII Raster Files to ESRI GRID, and I can't use it. Is there another way of convering those .asc files to Raster (i.e., ESRI GRID)but more than one at the time?
Thanks,
Regards. 

Author Dan Patterson 
Date Jun 06, 2005 
Message running out of options (nothing to test it on) but see
http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=13918 

Author Salahuddin Ahmad 
Date May 27, 2009 
Message Hi,

I have done the same but get the following error:

Executing (ASCIIToRaster_1): ASCIIToRaster "U:\temp\andreia\New Folder\rr.1961010119900131.asc" "U:\temp\andreia\New Folder\Output\t31" FLOAT
Start Time: Thu May 28 15:27:02 2009
An error was encountered while executing ASCIIToRaster.
("esriGeoAnalyst.GridEngine") Keyvalue BUREAU misses its value
Error in executing grid expression
Failed to execute (ASCIIToRaster_1).
End Time: Thu May 28 15:27:02 2009 (Elapsed Time: 0.00 seconds)

Thanks
Salahuddin

Salahuddin Ahmad
------------------------
Research Student
School of Mathematical & Geospatial Sciences
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) University
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
www.gs.rmit.edu.au

Author Rinke Heida 
Date Jul 18, 2005 
Message Depending on why you want to convert ASCII grids to GRID it might also be handy not to convert at all.
There is a tool available that adds native support for ASCII grids (*.ASC, *.AGR, *.GRD) to ArcCatalog and ArcMap (and even to ArcIMS).

After installing this (DLL) ASCII Grids are automatically recognized in ArcMap and ArcCatalog!
All (spatial analyst) operations on rasters like a Reclass or Neighborhood function can be perfomed.

It is available through http://www.aris.nl/shop
or as direct link http://www.aris.nl/shop/pag/asciigrid.html
You can download a 10-day evaluation. 

Subject how to convert grid files to ascii? 
Author vignesh manian 
Date Sep 10, 2008 
Message I'm working on a project that involves the developing of D8 algorithm using Visual Basic. I've decided to work on ASCII grid files. Could anyone please tell me how I could convert an ARC/INFO Grid file .grd to ASCII grid file .asc/.txt using VB? 

Subject Re: how to convert grid files to ascii? 
Author Rinke Heida 
Date Sep 10, 2008 
Message If your ArcInfo .grd file is a single file and is not a binary file you probably only have to change the extension from .grd to .asc