ArcGIS Desktop - ArcCatalog Data Creation & Import/Export forum

I need to convert a DTM in DXF format to TI...   Chapal Choudhury Nov 13, 2007
Re: I need to convert a DTM in DXF format t...   Oliver Ginzler Nov 13, 2007
Re: I need to convert a DTM in DXF format t...   Chapal Choudhury Nov 14, 2007
Re: I need to convert a DTM in DXF format t...   Crystal Dorn Nov 14, 2007
Re: I need to convert a DTM in DXF format t...   Chapal Choudhury Nov 14, 2007
Re: I need to convert a DTM in DXF format t...   Crystal Dorn Nov 14, 2007
Re: I need to convert a DTM in DXF format t...   Terrence Soltz Sep 18, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject I need to convert a DTM in DXF format to TIN or any other raster format 
Author Chapal Choudhury 
Date Nov 13, 2007 
Message Hi,

I've got a DTM in DXF format and i need to convert it to any raster DTM or TIN for viewing in 3D Analyst.

Can anyone tell me how or which ArcGIS conversion tools should I use to do this conversion?

Thanks,

Chapal 
  CHAPAL CHOUDHURY
Associate
Coffey Natural Systems
126 Trenerry Crescent
Abbotsford VIC 3067 Australia
chapal_choudhury@coffey.com
www.coffey.com/naturalsystems

Subject Re: I need to convert a DTM in DXF format to TIN or any other raster format 
Author Oliver Ginzler 
Date Nov 13, 2007 
Message Load your data in ArcGIS and have a look at the toolbox (conversion tools)! 
  University of Giessen
Division of Landscape Ecology and Landscape Planning
Germany 

Subject Re: I need to convert a DTM in DXF format to TIN or any other raster format 
Author Chapal Choudhury 
Date Nov 14, 2007 
Message I cannot see any specific tool in the Arc Toolbox that could do the job. Can you please point me to the specific tool name.

Thanks for your assistance.

Chapal 
  CHAPAL CHOUDHURY
Associate
Coffey Natural Systems
126 Trenerry Crescent

Author Crystal Dorn 
Date Nov 14, 2007 
Message "DTM" is a generic term that is often confusing to use b/c it can describe many types of formats of data representing surface information, from Rasters (cells) to Vector feature classes (points and lines) and then also for specific types of data (GRIDs, USGS DEM ASCII files, a TIFF, etc.).

Soooo, what kind of data type do you have in the dxf file? I suspect it represents the CONTOURS of the surface, e.g. is the feature type Polyline or some other line feature?

You can use Contours from a CAD file directly in ArcGIS with the 3D Analyst extension to create a TIN surface. You don't have to convert the CAD drawing to a geodatabase or shapefile feature class, first, but that is also an optional first step.

You will first have to define the Coordinate System information for your input CAD features. tip: The 'Create TIN from features' tool doesn't like it if the input data has no defined projection.

Next, refer to http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=Creating_TIN_surface_data_from_vector_data

For Help on TINs and creating them in ArcGIS.
See:
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?topicname=defining_a_cad_dataset's_coordinate_system

The Create TIN tool can be found here, as well:
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=Create_TIN_(3D_Analyst)

If you have breaklines, spot elevations, and other surface defining features -- whether they have elevation values or not -- you can use them to help build a nicer surface for your TIN.

If you wish to create a Raster data type from the Contours in your CAD file, then you can use the Spatial Analyst > Topo to Grid tool found in the Spatial Analyst > Interpolation toolset. Read more here:

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?id=4955&pid=4947&topicname=Topo_to_Raster

Author Chapal Choudhury 
Date Nov 14, 2007 
Message Thank you very much for your detailed info.

My DXF file contains 3D polyline defining the 3dFace, which seems representing the equivalnet edges of faces in TIN data.

I can not obtain the contour or point mess that were used for creating this surface. I need to recreate my surface from this only available DXF file (polylines of 3dFaces).

Any further suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chapal 
  CHAPAL CHOUDHURY
Associate
Coffey Natural Systems
126 Trenerry Crescent

Author Crystal Dorn 
Date Nov 14, 2007 
Message Can you share a sample of the file so I can take a look? Can you display and see the CAD polylines in ArcMap or in ArcCatalog in Preview mode? I've not worked with 3D faces in a dxf file and I'm not sure what is supported there in ArcGIS with the mesh and entity type. 

Author Terrence Soltz 
Date Sep 18, 2008 
Message I recently have had to deal with this issue, and found a solution. In CAD, make sure your surface display is set to 3D Faces. WBLOCK your surface view to its own file. Add the polygon features directly to your map. Use the data->export command to save this layer as a polygonZM (which it will do automatically.) Use create TIN from features using only this new layer, and set it to triangulate as hard lines. Presto!