Convert CAD Annotation to point shapefile   Robert Buckley Jul 03, 2008
Re: Convert CAD Annotation to point shapef...   Laura Chimene Jul 07, 2008
Re: Convert CAD Annotation to point shapef...   Robert Buckley Jul 07, 2008
Re: Convert CAD Annotation to point shapef...   Andreas Werwein Jul 08, 2008
Re: Convert CAD Annotation to point shapef...   Mike Kimber Mar 11, 2009
Re: Convert CAD Annotation to point shapef...   Karen Hodge Mar 16, 2009
Re: Convert CAD Annotation to point shapef...   Telmo Cascalheira Mar 27, 2009
Re: Convert CAD Annotation to point shapef...   pavlos tsagkis May 28, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Convert CAD Annotation to point shapefile 
Author Robert Buckley 
Date Jul 03, 2008 
Message Hello,

I have already converted a CAD text layer into an GDB Annotation layer. Now I need to "join" some of the attributes to a polygon shapefile. I can only do this if I convert my Annotation Featureclass to a point featureclass or Point Shapefile.

How can I do this?

Iīve tried all of the tools in ArcToolbox to no avail.

Please help,

Yours

Robert Buckley
Germany

Subject Re: Convert CAD Annotation to point shapefile 
Author Laura Chimene 
Date Jul 07, 2008 
Message If you're trying to associate the attributes in an annotation feature class to the polygon features that they overlap, you can create a spatial join.

You can do this in the layer properties by adding a join and selecting create a join based on spatial location or using the ArcToolbox Analysis Tools/Overlay->spatial join tool.

You can also use the Spatial Adjustment Toolbar-> Attribute Mapping tool to map fields from one feature to another by configuring the options to match fields from a source layer field to a target layer field.

If your join is based on a attribute field, you should be able to join from an annotation layer.

To convert to a point file, you can try the ArcToolbox Data Management Tools/Features->Features to Point tool (Must have ArcInfo to use this tool).

If not, I know the following will work:
1. Add a double type field to your annotation layer table to store the X centroid location for each feature
2. Add another double type field for the Y centroid location of each feature
3. Right click the X centroid field that you created in the table view and select CALCULATE GEOMETRY and set the PROPERTY to X coordinate of centroid and then select OK to populate the field
4. Repeat step #3 for the Y centroid field selecting the Y coordinate of centroid property this time
5. Open the layer's table and select Options->Export and save your table.
6. Select the ADD XY DATA tool from the TOOLS menu and set the X FIELD to the X centroid field and the Y FIELD to the Y centroid field
7. There should be a new layer added to the map. You may have to make it permanent or export it to a new feature class/shapefile.

Laura Fessler

Laura Fessler
GIS Analyst
Cobb, Fendley & Associates
Houston, Texas 

Author Robert Buckley 
Date Jul 07, 2008 
Message OF Course!!!...Why didnīt I think of that!

Thanks for the logical solution with the X Y fields.

Regards,

Robert 

Author Andreas Werwein 
Date Jul 08, 2008 
Message to convert a CAD Annotation File (DWG,DXF) to a point shape file, I use the tool Samples->Conversion->To/FromCAD->CAD to Feature Class; you have to write "Annotation" into the text field "Select feature class type (optional)" to convert the Annotation into shape points.

Author Mike Kimber 
Date Mar 11, 2009 
Message Fantastic. This post has saved me a great deal of pain.

Thanks,

Richard 

Author Karen Hodge 
Date Mar 16, 2009 
Message Using the Feature to Polygon tool might also help you...it will take your annotation and add it as attributes to the resultant polygon class. 

Author Telmo Cascalheira 
Date Mar 27, 2009 
Message You can also do this in to easy steps:

1- You add to the Map the feature annotation from CAD file.

2- With the Tool Select, located in analysis toolbox you can select all the features and as a reult you will get a point shapefile.

Cheers
Telmo Cascalheira 

Author pavlos tsagkis 
Date May 28, 2009 
Message You said you have already converted to GDB annotation.
Then use from toolbox the
Data Management Tools>Features>Feature to Point
select the annotation features and add location and name for the new shapefile.
THATS IT