Re: How to Export from .MXD to .DWG ??!!   Devon Taig Jul 16, 2009
Re: How to Export from .MXD to .DWG ??!!   George Stoyanov Oct 01, 2008
Re: How to Export from .MXD to .DWG ??!!   Rebecca Rose Oct 01, 2008
Re: How to Export from .MXD to .DWG ??!!   David Lamb Oct 01, 2008
Re: How to Export from .MXD to .DWG ??!!   Santiago Burena Oct 05, 2008
Re: How to Export from .MXD to .DWG ??!!   Liz P Jan 05, 2010
Re: How to Export from .MXD to .DWG ??!!   Margaret Maher Jan 06, 2010
Re: How to Export from .MXD to .DWG ??!!   Flavio Mendikovic Jan 07, 2010
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject How to Export from .MXD to .DWG ??!! 
Author George Stoyanov 
Date Sep 29, 2008 
Message Hello there!
I have been trying to export from MXD format to DWG format without much success. I used the Export to CAD conversion tool in GIS 9.3 but it only converts the lines and polygon.. etc to DWG format and NOT the colors and texts that are also included in the original MXD file. Any idea of how I might be able to convert the WHOLE MXD to CAD with all the features included?? Thanks a lot for everyones help!

-George- 

Subject Re: How to Export from .MXD to .DWG ??!! 
Author David Lamb 
Date Sep 29, 2008 
Message I'm pretty sure this is not possible, and there doesn't seem to be anything in the help. It makes sense that you can't though, because the way symbology is done in an MXD vs a DWG is completely different, not to mention all the vector data is stored inside a DWG and not externally like with an MXD file. 
  David Lamb 

Author Katharina Dubach 
Date Sep 29, 2008 
Message I don't think it's possible to convert the .mxd to .dwg. You can convert the data, but - as you said - not the colours, nor your layout including title, scale bar etc.

As a workaround I suggest exporting your .mxd to .ai, open the file in Adobe Illustrator and export to .dwg from there. Works fine for me, but, obviously, you need access to a copy of Illustrator...

Hope this helps,

Kathi 

Author David Lamb 
Date Sep 29, 2008 
Message Great idea! I forgot about that, used to do it for pdf's we'd receive from clients.

Be sure to export the layout with a scalebar and perhaps even a coordinate grid so that you can get the illustrator --> dwg back to the proper scale and coordinate system. 
  David Lamb 

Author Shawn Devereaux 
Date Oct 03, 2008 
Message Actually it is possible to convert the entire layout including all graphics.

An extension is available from Fugro Pelagos on their website that converts the MXD layout to a DXF which is easily converted to DWG in AutoCad.

The only complaint I had with it (the 2005 version) was that it exported all the feature classes & layout graphics to the same AutoCAD layer. Seems like a simple fix to put each GIS layer on a different CAD layer. I don't know if that has been fixed in more recent versions.

Author Devon Taig 
Date Jul 16, 2009 
Message Very interesting approach to export from .mxd to .ai to .dwg. I did try this (using a try/buy version of Adobe Illustrator), but I'm not getting the expected results.

I have zoomed to a scale where I can see a few buildings (polygons in a polygon feature class), some streets (lines), and some services (points)...there are some labels too (text). All the symbology is how I want it in the .mxd. I then export to .ai format and can open the file and all looks good in Adobe Illustrator (which I confess I have never used). When I export out of Adobe to a .dwg or .dxf, it does produce a file, but it isn't what I'm expecting...I get just three black dots (representing goodness knows what).

Am I missing a step? 

Author Devon Taig 
Date Jul 16, 2009 
Message Very interesting approach to export from .mxd to .ai to .dwg. I did try this (using a try/buy version of Adobe Illustrator), but I'm not getting the expected results.

I have zoomed to a scale where I can see a few buildings (polygons in a polygon feature class), some streets (lines), and some services (points)...there are some labels too (text). All the symbology is how I want it in the .mxd. I then export to .ai format and can open the file and all looks good in Adobe Illustrator (which I confess I have never used). When I export out of Adobe to a .dwg or .dxf, it does produce a file, but it isn't what I'm expecting...I get just three black dots (representing goodness knows what).

Am I missing a step? 

Author George Stoyanov 
Date Oct 01, 2008 
Message Thank you both! I realized it can not be possible. I just converted whatever was possible, then the CAD person in our department will further modify the image and add anything else. Thank you! 

Author Rebecca Rose 
Date Oct 01, 2008 
Message I just extracted by selection and made each individual attribute a different shapefile, then able to bring them into CAD and change the colors separately. 

Author David Lamb 
Date Oct 01, 2008 
Message If you have Autodesk Map3D, you can import Shapefiles and create a layer for each attribute value. This might make it easier to symbolize classified features. 
  David Lamb 

Author Santiago Burena 
Date Oct 05, 2008 
Message I've been using Smart Exporter for a while and it does a relatively good job - find it here http://www.gisexpertsolutions.com/ - a bit pricey though.
Cheers,
Santiago 

Author Liz P 
Date Jan 05, 2010 
Message Hi,
You can use CEDRA DXF exporter, it allows you to convert layout or dataframe to a dxf file.
http://www.cedra.com/
Liz 

Author Margaret Maher 
Date Jan 06, 2010 
Message An MXD is only a viewer for data, storing paths to the actual data, symbology the data are displayed with, etc. There is no way in ArcGIS Desktop to export the MXD to a CAD format. There are number of methods to export the data layers displayed in the MXD to CAD formats, but the MXD itself cannot be exported within the ArcGIS Desktop framework.

Depending on the version of ArcGIS you are using, check out Knowledge Base article 31527. This gives instructions for exporting to DXF instead of DWG, but this tool is available at all license levels for AGIS Desktop.

Another option is Export to CAD in ArcToolbox. Another alternative is the Data Interoperability Extension, which has a 60-day evaluation license available.

Guthrie's Arcv2CAD has also gotten excellent reviews over the years.

I see from other posts on this thread that some other vendors have software that will export an MXD to AutoCAD formats. I am curious if the output files contain vector data, and are editable in AutoCAD, or if the output is a raster format that preserves the appearance of the data, but is not editable. 

Author Flavio Mendikovic 
Date Jan 07, 2010 
Message I'm using Arcv2CAD (Guthrie's) and it works perfectly for me.