You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcCatalog Data Creation & Import/Export forum

convert from .dbf to .shp?... please   Gonzalo Bruno May 15, 2003
Re: convert from .dbf to .shp?... please   Aitor lerchundi osa May 15, 2003
Re: convert from .dbf to .shp?... please   Heather Gonzago May 15, 2003
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject convert from .dbf to .shp?... please 
Author Gonzalo Bruno 
Date May 15, 2003 
Message Hello, I'm writing from Argentina and I have two problems. First, I don't handle english so good, so forgive me for my choice of words.
Second, I have some Dbase files (.dbf) and I need to convert then into shape files (.shp).
I haven┤t tried any other software but arcexplorer (because it's free), so if you know of any product that can make this job, please let me know. 

Subject Re: convert from .dbf to .shp?... please 
Author Aitor lerchundi osa 
Date May 15, 2003 
Message Hola !!
No tengo el programa ahora instalado pero mira que puedes hacer dentro de arcatalog.SÚ que tiene la opcion de (table "tu caso *.dbf" to geodatabase)(shp to geodatabase)alreves tambien (geodatabase to ..)juega un poco con ellas.No creo que alla directamente (table to shp) sino ya lo tienes.
Sino (table to geodatabase and then geodatabase to shp).
Otra opcion mira haber que puedes hacer con el arctoolbox!! que te permite hacer muchas cosas.
No se si te habre servido de algo pero que tengas mucha suerte.
Bye!!!

Subject Re: convert from .dbf to .shp?... please 
Author Heather Gonzago 
Date May 15, 2003 
Message In order to convert your dBase file to a shapefile which holds spatial information you will need to have information in your dBase file which contains this information such as latitude and longitude fields.

Take a look at the Help Topics in ArcMap (Help > ArcGIS Desktop Help > Under the Index tab, type in 'x,y coordinate data, adding to maps'. You will come up with a topic that discusses adding xy coordinate information to an ArcMap data frame as an event. After you create the point event of your xy locations, you can right-click on it > Data > Export data > and export this event out to a shapefile.

This would be the best way to achieve what you are trying to do.