You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcObjects 3rd Party IDE (C++, VB, C#, Delphi, etc.) forum

DBF Language Driver IDs   Ross Pickard Aug 03, 2006
Re: DBF Language Driver IDs   Isaac Flemming Dec 04, 2006
Re: DBF Language Driver IDs   Isaac Flemming Dec 04, 2006
Re: DBF Language Driver IDs   Ross Pickard Dec 05, 2006
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject DBF Language Driver IDs 
Author Ross Pickard 
Date Aug 03, 2006 
Message Hi everyone,
I'm trying to update my ShapeFile Read/Write DLL and have reached a problem in identifying decimal delimiters (some European countries use , as the delimiter) and storing ascii characters above dec 127. This is controlled by the Language ID number at byte offset 29 in the DBF file. Can anyone provide a list of the supported ID numbers and languages?

Cheers
Ross 

Subject Re: DBF Language Driver IDs 
Author Isaac Flemming 
Date Dec 04, 2006 
Message Hello Ross,

I am having a bit of the same trouble, but I did find a little bit of info on what some of the Numbers Mean for FoxPro, I am not sure if this is similar to the values ESRI uses to determine languages or not. The value in my dbf files at byte 29 is 0x57h, and I do not see that one on the list so I am assuming that the list is not up to date. But here is the link anyway.

Also, I see it has been a while since you posted this and I was wondering if you learned anything else. If so could you please let me know, because at this point I am still looking.

Thanks
Isaac
--

LINK http://www.clicketyclick.dk/databases/xbase/format/dbf.html#DBF_NOTE_5_TARGET 

Author Isaac Flemming 
Date Dec 04, 2006 
Message Another reply,

I am not sure if you found this info already, but if not it may be helpful.

http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=26015 

Author Ross Pickard 
Date Dec 05, 2006 
Message Hi Isaac,
Thanks for the links - Yes I had seen them. The ESRI white papers show that there is indeed limited code page support in the ShapeFile format... As you would expect since only one byte is available in the DBF file for encoding. So far I've worked out the following values:
OEM = 0
Codepage_437_US_MSDOS = &H1
Codepage_850_International_MSDOS = &H2
Codepage_1252_Windows_ANSI = &H3
ANSI = &H57
Codepage_737_Greek_MSDOS = &H6A
Codepage_852_EasernEuropean_MSDOS = &H64
Codepage_857_Turkish_MSDOS = &H6B
Codepage_861_Icelandic_MSDOS = &H67
Codepage_865_Nordic_MSDOS = &H66
Codepage_866_Russian_MSDOS = &H65
Codepage_950_Chinese_Windows = &H78