You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Geodatabase Topology forum

Calculate Area of Shape file   Robyn Fink Nov 04, 2003
Re: Calculate Area of Shape file   Derek McNamara Nov 04, 2003
Re: Calculate Area of Shape file   Robyn Fink Nov 04, 2003
Re: Calculate Area of Shape file   Derek McNamara Nov 04, 2003
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Calculate Area of Shape file 
Author Robyn Fink 
Date Nov 04, 2003 
Message How do I calculate the area of a Polygon? One person suggested downloading XTools extension for ARCVIEW, but is this necessary in ARCGIS? If so, how does one do this? 

Subject Re: Calculate Area of Shape file 
Author Derek McNamara 
Date Nov 04, 2003 
Message From the help files under "Area/calculating for polygons'

1. Optionally, start an edit session in ArcMap. Calculating a field is faster outside of an edit session, but you won't be able to undo the calculation.

2. Open the attribute table of the layer you want to edit.

3. Right-click the field heading for area (if there is no field for area values, you can add a new field for area by clicking the Options button and selecting the new field option).

4. Click Calculate Values.

5. Check Advanced.

6. Type the following VBA statement in the first text box:

Dim dblArea as double
Dim pArea as IArea
Set pArea = [shape]
dblArea = pArea.area

7. Type the variable dblArea in the text box directly under the area field name.

8. Click OK.

Hope this helps,
Derek McNamara

Author Robyn Fink 
Date Nov 04, 2003 
Message That was helpful. I am curious though, how do you determine the units for this measurement of area? 

Author Derek McNamara 
Date Nov 04, 2003 
Message Not 100% sure but I imagine it would be in internal feature units. Or maybe it depends on what you set your units to in Data Frame Properties. I suppose you could test this by changing the map units in the Data Frame Properties.

Maybe you should post another thread with this question.

Derek