You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Geodatabase Topology forum

Polygon Topology; Split Zone   Keith Pultz Oct 26, 2006
Re: Polygon Topology; Split Zone   Jay Donnelly Jul 11, 2007
Re: Polygon Topology; Split Zone   Keith Pultz Jul 11, 2007
Re: Polygon Topology; Split Zone   Jay Donnelly Sep 12, 2008
Re: Polygon Topology; Split Zone   Jose Lourenco Jul 14, 2007
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Polygon Topology; Split Zone 
Author Keith Pultz 
Date Oct 26, 2006 
Message Hello,

I have a tax map that uses polygons to represent parcels. The attribute table that is associated with the parcel polygons contains a field for zoning codes.

My delima is that I have a number of parcels that have more than one zoning code(e.g., one part of a parcel could have a zone for commercial use and one zone for single family residents).

The way I have been working around this situation is by duplicating the parcel polygon layer and creating a new feature class called zoning. I locate the parcels that have split zones and edit the parcel polygon by splitting the polygon where the zone boundaries occur.

Is there a method I could use that would allow me to manage the zoning codes without duplicating the parcel polygon layer?

Thanks,
Keith 

Subject Re: Polygon Topology; Split Zone 
Author Jay Donnelly 
Date Jul 11, 2007 
Message Keith:

Any luck on finding a solution? I've got the same situation and am looking for a solution. Thanks.

Jay 

Author Keith Pultz 
Date Jul 11, 2007 
Message No joy. I haven't heard of anyone using a different method for this issue, so I will continue maintaining my zoning district layer the same way.

Keith 

Author Jay Donnelly 
Date Sep 12, 2008 
Message Keith:

I'm still trying to solve this same problem. Any solutions? Thanks.

Jay 

Author Jose Lourenco 
Date Jul 14, 2007 
Message Assuming you have two polygons maps, you could try to use the following ArcToolBox tools:
1 - Analysis Tools > Extract > Split
2 - Analysis Tools > Overlay > Identity (+)

Best regards

Martinho